The Student Room Group

Girls - Have you ever missed school because of your period?

Scroll to see replies

yes
Reply 21
Periods are just a feminist conspiracy I reckon.
Original post by Tiger Rag
I wasn't actually ill both times. :s-smilie:
Most of the time, it was generally ok though and not serious enough for me to miss school.

Awww :frown: that sucks - but at least it's not as bad now right?

Original post by cupcakes87
i used to miss school all the time because of my periods when i was in like yr 6/7/8 but then it kinda just settled and the pain became more bearable and i was a lot less emotional lol.
but then i started to miss it again in yr12/13 because i started to vomit on periods too :sigh:
it oki hun :console: :hugs:get well soon x

Thank you :redface: yeah it was never this bad for me up until year 12 really

Original post by BookNosaur
I never missed school because school is my number 1 priority. But sometimes I feel like I have to stay at home and be dirty!! I was never that bad like you, though. I missed my period for 1 year, once. But I dont like looking at the blood and all soI hate changing

school is important to me too! but i just could not get up this morning i couldn't move at all
a whole year!!!! how?!

Original post by raaachek
Oh you poor thing!! That sounds like torture! :hug: Have you tried taking iron tablets to deal with your anaemia? Also, did you know that dairy can inhibit iron absorption and that vitamin C (when eaten just before the iron source) helps with absorption? Try putting that to the test!
In answer to your question, yes, I did. Mine were never as horrible as yours though. Take it easy and get well soon!

it is! :frown: I should but i never take them but i took one today because well... gonna be losing a lot of blood!
really? i had cheese this morning whoops :redface: I'll try it though thanks! thank you :h:

Original post by Flozzie543
Weirdly enough most of mine are during my holidays/half terms/weekends. I usually have 2-3 days where it's AGONY and the rest of the week is fine and one time I passed out but that was at home. Usually I just suck it up and get on with it. If I have a couple of free periods (no pun) I might spend that with the nurse or take a nap lol

that is weird - my first day ALWAYS clashes with a day when we usually have to move around a lot and it freaking sucks :frown:
yeah it's the first 2/3 days that are really bad and the rest it's fine (apart from a few sharp jolts of pain every once in a while)

Original post by Odd socks
when I was younger I had cramps so bad that I'd throw up and I'd either get sent home from school or have to stay home in the first place. I went on the combined pill and that helped regulate them a bit and make it manageable

Awwww :frown: maybe i should try the pill :redface: they gave me mefenamic acid so that's supposed to help...
Reply 23
Yes, a couple of times when the pain becomes unbearably bad. Often late into school too if I'm feeling particularly sad and don't want to get out of bed!

I'm also slightly anaemic, so I find that the worst thing about periods - more than the cramps, the weird cravings, or the fragile emotional state - is the fact that they make me incredibly tired and achey. I have found that taking iron supplements in the form of liquid has helped. Some people recommend tablets as the liquid tastes less than nice (which is true) and they seem easier to take (which is not so true), but they can often make you... let's say 'clogged up'.

I'm using Feroglobin Liquid. You can take this all month round as it's meant to just provide a general energy boost, particularly if you're anaemic. For the best effect you will have to take it twice a day. It should be easily findable in your typical Boots pharmacy.

Periods are never going to be pleasant but you can try to alleviate some of the symptoms so that it isn't as much of a disruption to your everyday life. I'm sorry that you appear to have drawn the short straw :frown:
Yeah, once because I went unconscious from the pain
Original post by Anonymous
Awww :frown: that sucks - but at least it's not as bad now right?

Much better now :smile: Have spent some of the last year with migraine caused by periods. :frown: GP has put me on the pill to see how difference that will make.
Aww i feel for you!

Yeh, i hardly ever got ill and the only time i had off was for my period really! I didnt get pain until i was around 14, it was bearable at first at school with painkillers but gradually got worse and worse, by the time i reached 16 the pain (in my back) was so bad i fainted once and threw up a few times. The really horrendous pain like this would only last for like an hour and then the painkillers would kick in, but i would have a bit pain (bearable, like when 14) for like a day and then a lasting ache (from thhe pain for another day or so). Was horrid. This really bad pain only happened once every 2-3 periods, but i would always get some sort of pain.
Eventually i went on the pill and it helps so much. I still get back pain sometimes but nowhere near as horrendously. I would suggest going on the pill if you can, it helps me immensely! I wish I'd gone on it sooner.
Original post by elen90
Yes, a couple of times when the pain becomes unbearably bad. Often late into school too if I'm feeling particularly sad and don't want to get out of bed!

I'm also slightly anaemic, so I find that the worst thing about periods - more than the cramps, the weird cravings, or the fragile emotional state - is the fact that they make me incredibly tired and achey. I have found that taking iron supplements in the form of liquid has helped. Some people recommend tablets as the liquid tastes less than nice (which is true) and they seem easier to take (which is not so true), but they can often make you... let's say 'clogged up'.

I'm using Feroglobin Liquid. You can take this all month round as it's meant to just provide a general energy boost, particularly if you're anaemic. For the best effect you will have to take it twice a day. It should be easily findable in your typical Boots pharmacy.

Periods are never going to be pleasant but you can try to alleviate some of the symptoms so that it isn't as much of a disruption to your everyday life. I'm sorry that you appear to have drawn the short straw :frown:

Yeah i already feel tired and drowsy all the time but when I'm on my period I can barely stay awake and i just feel like ... less than alive. I took an iron pill today to make up for loss of blood and I can confirm ahaha this is why I don't like taking them.
Ah I see i'll try the liquid form out!

yeah true :frown: it's okay at least it doesn't last forever :redface:

Original post by LiquidGold
Aww i feel for you!

Yeh, i hardly ever got ill and the only time i had off was for my period really! I didnt get pain until i was around 14, it was bearable at first at school with painkillers but gradually got worse and worse, by the time i reached 16 the pain (in my back) was so bad i fainted once and threw up a few times. The really horrendous pain like this would only last for like an hour and then the painkillers would kick in, but i would have a bit pain (bearable, like when 14) for like a day and then a lasting ache (from thhe pain for another day or so). Was horrid. This really bad pain only happened once every 2-3 periods, but i would always get some sort of pain.
Eventually i went on the pill and it helps so much. I still get back pain sometimes but nowhere near as horrendously. I would suggest going on the pill if you can, it helps me immensely! I wish I'd gone on it sooner.

Awwww :frown:
okay I'm definitely trying the pill now
Reply 28
Missed PE and used to sit in the nurses office for the hour and chill 😈
Yes. I used to get awful migraines during my period or just before and that would keep me off school, not the bleeding itself though I did have the odd day off due to cramps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tolerance? But, of course, I could get up because mines not worse than yours... I hope you get better! :smile:
I have... today :cry:
It came this morning and I woke up crying
I'm anaemic so when I get my period it feels like I'm dying for a week
but this morning it was SO BAD I just could not MOVE to get out of bed
my back feels like it's broken in half, my ovaries are getting tangled up inside me and I took like 4 painkillers and it's starting to feel better...

so have you ever missed school because of your reds?

Yes, more than a handful of times. I think it's more common than you think since most girls will get their period during secondary school and are not used to being uncomfortable and bleeding for 5 days a week without anyone noticing. I used to have really bad period pains. (still do sometimes but I manage it) If I made it to school, I'd be in the medical room before break time. If not, I'd be at home vomiting water because I had no appetite to eat and the smell of food repulsed me. Ah, what I wouldn't give to be 15 again :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
Yeah cause I used to vomit and be barely able move due to the pain on the first day of my period every month when I was 15-17.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I've had to be hospitalised for mine and ended up missing a week and a half of college because of it :colondollar:
Yeah once I never had my period for like 3 months, and when it did return it was heavier than usual and more painful.

I took some days off school during the worst of it as i felt so ill with it. That was like 3/4 years ago and i have never had it as bad since.
I have... today :cry:
It came this morning and I woke up crying
I'm anaemic so when I get my period it feels like I'm dying for a week
but this morning it was SO BAD I just could not MOVE to get out of bed
my back feels like it's broken in half, my ovaries are getting tangled up inside me and I took like 4 painkillers and it's starting to feel better...

so have you ever missed school because of your reds?

Yup. Missed school, and various other things because of periods. They were really painful since i started, but luckily they were also irregular so I didn't have them as much.
Now it turns out the reason I had so much pain was endometriosis making the pain worse.

Have you been to see a dr about how painful they are? They should not be so painful you can't move or get out of bed. There could be a reason they are so painful and the doctors can help with the pain either way.
I certinally wish I had seen a dr sooner.
Yeah, my periods are so irregular and I have no indication (like cramps beforehand) to know when I will start.
So if I start in school and aren't prepared I end up going home as it is just so uncomfortable and I cannot focus at all.
Yeah, my periods are so irregular and I have no indication (like cramps beforehand) to know when I will start.
So if I start in school and aren't prepared I end up going home as it is just so uncomfortable and I cannot focus at all.

I've had a supprise attack before that im pretty sure left me needing to ask "supplies" to be brought in for me by my mum cos I didn't have any.
Managed to go 5 months before which left me (a virgin) almost starting to consider if I was infact pregnant and the new virgin Mary. :P

Ended up going on the pill to spare the annoyance which of corse lead to an awkward encounter with my dad asking why I needed the pill.
Yep I've missed it once because the day before I collapsed because of the pain and my body heating up.

If it as a bit of a cramp though, I'd still go
I have left school early because of the terrible cramps... I'm envious of the people who don't have to deal with this.

Quick Reply

Latest