Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I had applied to multiple universities for the MSc courses in Management and as of now, the two University's interest me are Bradford University and Strathclyde University.

Bradford - MSc Marketing and Management
    Strathclyde - MSc International Marketing

Which you guys think that will be a better option among the two?

Thanks in advance.
    Karan

P.S. I currently hold B.Eng. in Computers and PGc in Computing specialization and working as a Founder/CEO of the startup, holding a work-ex of over five years now.

ReputationRep:
    What are yr goals (learning and professional)?

Generally, Strathclyde MSc Marketing is regarded as very solid. Established course with alumni network, core courses plus plenty electives, good faculty, has industry relationship with some core recruiters, B-School is good and ranked in the FT survey. Until recent tuition hike for its MSc marketing course, Strathclyde had a fair Return on Investment ratio compared to most peers for home students. Relative flexible syllabus with lecture, case studies, group project, consulting or dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response.

I agree upon tuition fees thing as Strathclyde fees is GBP 17000 while that of Bradford, it comes at GBP 14500.

Plus Bradford already offered me a scholarship worth GBP 3000 while getting any scholarship at Strathclyde got steep chances.

Over career goal, I am in the industry from past 5 years and now intended to carry on with education to increase my understanding level and if get a chance in future will continue till doctorate level.

If say post-MSc I get a chance to do job, will definitely consider doing that as it helps me increase in professional network but if not, I am fine with carry on with business.

What you suggest now?

P.S. I am based in India currently.

ReputationRep:
    You are an overseas student, tuition is even higher. I wrongly assumed that you are UK based.

The bad news: Don't count on UK job after graduation. The home office really clamped down on immigration and it is very tough to obtain sponsorship for work permit. I am sure that most Indian students have heard about it in the media. It costs most firms too much time and money and they need to prove that they can't fill job with EU people (red tape). In recent yrs, most MSc grads from mid and even top B-School leave without job offers. The sluggish economy does not help either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    You are an overseas student, tuition is even higher. I wrongly assumed that you are UK based.

The bad news: Don't count on UK job after graduation. The home office really clamped down on immigration and it is very tough to obtain sponsorship for work permit. I am sure that most Indian students have heard about it in the media. It costs most firms too much time and money and they need to prove that they can't fill job with EU people (red tape). In recent yrs, most MSc grads from mid and even top B-School leave without job offers. The sluggish economy does not help either.
    Thanks for the response again.

I completely understand your words and as i mentioned in my previous message job is not my concern but only the education.

The cost is an important factor for me. That's why again i like to ask you that if Bradford comes anywhere nearer to Strath in terms of international reputation., then it again seems to be a good option.

What you suggest now?

ReputationRep:
    I can say only about national reputation. Strathclyde is better than Bradford for Management. (Check Times, Guardian Uni Guide, Good Uni Guide, FT ranking). Bradford's entry requirement (grades) tend to be a bit lower and student quality is average. Bradford has higher portion of local students who live at home and commute. But it does not attract too many top students from other regions of the UK.

Maybe you can enquire politely from Strathclyde about scholarship and hint that Bradford grant you some £.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Tcannon for sharing your valuable inputs. I really appreciate that.

Will keep all the things you share in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been to Bradford? Place is...special.

ReputationRep:
    No. Not as of now but why it is special?

ReputationRep:
    Hello again,

Last evening i got an offer from Reading University also so now which one to put on priority basis -

Bradford
    Reading
    Strathclyde

The course i chosen belongs to their business schools only.

Please advice.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karenn1617)
    No. Not as of now but why it is special?
    It's an absolute dump. Also, 14k for Bradford is abysmal. It's not even that great of a University.

My course at the London School of Economics costs less than that, and LSE is usually the most expensive in the country.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PostGrad221)
    It's an absolute dump. Also, 14k for Bradford is abysmal. It's not even that great of a University.

My course at the London School of Economics costs less than that, and LSE is usually the most expensive in the country.
    Not really. It's little different to any other minor city - in terms of social activity it's a bit dead with Leeds so close and cheap to get to, but it's not really a dump, no more so than a lot of other cities and towns across the country.

Also, unless you're a third year PhD student who started before 2013 (which would necessitate you having taken a year out) that's clearly not true: http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/studen...es%20Table.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Not really. It's little different to any other minor city - in terms of social activity it's a bit dead with Leeds so close and cheap to get to, but it's not really a dump, no more so than a lot of other cities and towns across the country.

Also, unless you're a third year PhD student who started before 2013 (which would necessitate you having taken a year out) that's clearly not true: http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/studen...es%20Table.pdf
    I'm a UK student and will be paying home fees. LSE is cheaper than Bradford, despite being one of the most prestigious Universities on the planet. Paying 14k for Bradford is stupid.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PostGrad221)
    I'm a UK student and will be paying home fees. LSE is cheaper than Bradford, despite being one of the most prestigious Universities on the planet. Paying 14k for Bradford is stupid.
    Well then your point is irrelevant - OP has already said they're from India so will be paying international fees. Nope, LSE is more expensive than Bradford (it's one of the most expensive ones in the country) unless the fees are artificially dictated as in the case of domestic fees, in which case they cost the same.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your inputs.

Yes it is correct i am an international student.

Please suggest which one to choose in priority sequence among three.

ReputationRep:
    Can't help but post after reading some incredibly snobby and unfair comments (Its TSR so I'm not surprised anyway).

I study at both the School of Management and main campus.

The city itself is ok in general, it's not the greatest city but it's definitely not the worst, depends which area you're at, its like a lot of cities in the UK. The school of management campus is beautiful, as is that area in general, its situated next to Lister park (huge and scenic park), its probably the nicer side of Bradford. Having said that its really not as bad as people make it out to be.

The main city is alright, has most of what you need. By no means extravagant, its average, the council has however been putting effort into improving the city and it's improving. Its a hell of a lot better than it used to be a few years ago, huge new mall and the city centre is undergoing an upheaval. Like any other large urban city, crime is a problem (albeit a minor one), but you'll be alright on campus and in the city centre, theres generally police presence nearby and I've never had trouble myself. As long as you don't do stupid things like go out at 4am by yourself or leave doors unlocked you're alright, but trouble happens in a lot of urban unis, not just Bradford.

Main campus is pretty nice, fantastic students union and faculties, the green accommodation is lovely, and again, lots of new development on main campus. Super diverse, loads of international students, can't count how many different nationalities I've come across. The campus is big relative to the city but small compared to other unis, it means you'll generally run into people a lot, main campus area and the surrounding houses host most of the students.

Pros, Bradford is also has super cheap living costs, you won't be spending a lot on accommodation compared to other places and Bradford serves up great food.

Cons, again, anti-social behaviour can get annoying at times, the drivers are notorious for being reckless and the chavs aren't too popular with the students, the city isn't for everyone.

It can get monotonous at times, but there are plenty of other places that are easy to access from Bradford, Leeds is 20 minutes away and there are historic and scenic places such as Saltaire, Haworth and Ilkley that aren't too far. Manchester is also an hour away. Nightlife is also mediocre but this year loads of new bars and clubs have opened which has substantially improved nightlife in the city.

Academically, the School of Management and the Life Sciences (Pharmacy and Optometry) are probably the best departments in the university. I'm doing marketing modules as part of my course and they are generally very well taught, the lecturers are great, lots of industrial connections and a strong network of alumni, I know plenty of people getting placements and excellent jobs from the university after graduating and a lot of the post-grad management students have a lot of business experience. Yes, the entry requirements are fairly low, but there are also lots of bright students coming in on scholarships (from all disciplines, bachelors, post-grads and doctorates). From what I have heard, the School of Management has a decent international reputation and is also great for marketing and management.

If you're going off rankings, Bradford's overall ranking has shot up recently in the big ones, it's probably bang on in the middle of the league table, but the business school is very highly ranked in the Financial Times (although its around 4 positions lower than strathclyde in that table, and surprisingly higher than durham, bath and leeds), so it depends on which one you look at.

I can't speak for Reading or Strathclyde as I have never been to either city, but academically they are probably better than Bradford, but to say Bradford is a dump and is abysmal is unfair.

In response to "postgrad221", the msc fees at a lot of universities are highly variable, quick google shows Management and Strategy (probably the closest thing to a marketing msc at LSE given that they don't to postgrad marketing courses) to be £25,000, don't lie.

I've enjoyed studying here very much, I've met incredibly great people, had fun times and become a better person in general. Don't let the typical tabloid opinion of Bradford put you off of it, visit it yourself, its a work in progress. Hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 66310346671011)
    Can't help but post after reading some incredibly snobby and unfair comments (Its TSR so I'm not surprised anyway).

I study at both the School of Management and main campus.

The city itself is ok in general, it's not the greatest city but it's definitely not the worst, depends which area you're at, its like a lot of cities in the UK. The school of management campus is beautiful, as is that area in general, its situated next to Lister park (huge and scenic park), its probably the nicer side of Bradford. Having said that its really not as bad as people make it out to be.

The main city is alright, has most of what you need. By no means extravagant, its average, the council has however been putting effort into improving the city and it's improving. Its a hell of a lot better than it used to be a few years ago, huge new mall and the city centre is undergoing an upheaval. Like any other large urban city, crime is a problem (albeit a minor one), but you'll be alright on campus and in the city centre, theres generally police presence nearby and I've never had trouble myself. As long as you don't do stupid things like go out at 4am by yourself or leave doors unlocked you're alright, but trouble happens in a lot of urban unis, not just Bradford.

Main campus is pretty nice, fantastic students union and faculties, the green accommodation is lovely, and again, lots of new development on main campus. Super diverse, loads of international students, can't count how many different nationalities I've come across. The campus is big relative to the city but small compared to other unis, it means you'll generally run into people a lot, main campus area and the surrounding houses host most of the students.

Pros, Bradford is also has super cheap living costs, you won't be spending a lot on accommodation compared to other places and Bradford serves up great food.

Cons, again, anti-social behaviour can get annoying at times, the drivers are notorious for being reckless and the chavs aren't too popular with the students, the city isn't for everyone.

It can get monotonous at times, but there are plenty of other places that are easy to access from Bradford, Leeds is 20 minutes away and there are historic and scenic places such as Saltaire, Haworth and Ilkley that aren't too far. Manchester is also an hour away. Nightlife is also mediocre but this year loads of new bars and clubs have opened which has substantially improved nightlife in the city.

Academically, the School of Management and the Life Sciences (Pharmacy and Optometry) are probably the best departments in the university. I'm doing marketing modules as part of my course and they are generally very well taught, the lecturers are great, lots of industrial connections and a strong network of alumni, I know plenty of people getting placements and excellent jobs from the university after graduating and a lot of the post-grad management students have a lot of business experience. Yes, the entry requirements are fairly low, but there are also lots of bright students coming in on scholarships (from all disciplines, bachelors, post-grads and doctorates). From what I have heard, the School of Management has a decent international reputation and is also great for marketing and management.

If you're going off rankings, Bradford's overall ranking has shot up recently in the big ones, it's probably bang on in the middle of the league table, but the business school is very highly ranked in the Financial Times (although its around 4 positions lower than strathclyde in that table, and surprisingly higher than durham, bath and leeds), so it depends on which one you look at.

I can't speak for Reading or Strathclyde as I have never been to either city, but academically they are probably better than Bradford, but to say Bradford is a dump and is abysmal is unfair.

In response to "postgrad221", the msc fees at a lot of universities are highly variable, quick google shows Management and Strategy (probably the closest thing to a marketing msc at LSE given that they don't to postgrad marketing courses) to be £25,000, don't lie.

I've enjoyed studying here very much, I've met incredibly great people, had fun times and become a better person in general. Don't let the typical tabloid opinion of Bradford put you off of it, visit it yourself, its a work in progress. Hope I helped
    Thanks mate. That is a huge details you shared.

Looking forward to hear about Reading and Strathclyde.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.