The Student Room Group

700,000 men a year are victims of domestic abuse.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by balanced
It's from the telegraph article.

And where did they get it from?
Because i've read it, and read the article it links to and posts no source whatsoever for the 700,000 figure.

So you've read it and believed it despite there being no proof provided for its existence.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but to make and believe claims of 700,000 when there is no proof provided is not good enough.

Do you believe everything you read?
Reply 41
These sites support the claim:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30303405/male-domestic-abuse-victim-men-are-scared-to-come-forward
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/12/14-million-women-suffered-domestic-abuse-last-year-ons-figures-show

www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn06337.pdf10 Feb 2015 - In 2012/13, there were 1.2 million female and 700,000 male victims of domestic abuse in. England and Wales. Data from the Crime Survey for ...
Original post by Bornblue
And where did they get it from?
Because i've read it, and read the article it links to and posts no source whatsoever for the 700,000 figure.

So you've read it and believed it despite there being no proof provided for its existence.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but to make and believe claims of 700,000 when there is no proof provided is not good enough.

Do you believe everything you read?

So do you believe the statistics that claim that there are tens of thousands of women raped every year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
These sites support the claim:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30303405/male-domestic-abuse-victim-men-are-scared-to-come-forward
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/12/14-million-women-suffered-domestic-abuse-last-year-ons-figures-show

www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn06337.pdf10 Feb 2015 - In 2012/13, there were 1.2 million female and 700,000 male victims of domestic abuse in. England and Wales. Data from the Crime Survey for ...

Thank you.

Of course that's a huge problem. But i'm entirely unsure what feminism has to do with this or why you've brought it up.
It seems like you've seen a headline saying men are being abused and have used it as an excuse to bash feminism. Which is bizarre.

All cases of abuse need to be taken seriously. I'm a feminist and I totally condemn abuse whatever the context. I don't see why on earth there is a distinction between campaigning on women's issues and condemning abuse by women on men.
I don't know about the exact figures but the proportion seems like I'd expect, domestic abuse is pretty common period, regardless of gender.
Great. You asked for my opinion and disregard my answer.
I'm not actually sure why you tagged me.
If you're going to assert a straw man then explain why. I barely mentioned you at all, and the points stand regardless.

You sound like you've just learnt about logical fallacies and are now keen to start saying 'straw man' every time you disagree.
If something is a straw man argument then explain why. Given you didn't actually say anything and tagged me, there cannot possibly be a straw man.

Again, no point as this is not constructive. You were being presumptuous and making personal attacks rather than making a genuine comment on male victims of abuse.
Original post by Aceadria
Again, no point as this is not constructive. You were being presumptuous and making personal attacks rather than making a genuine comment on male victims of abuse.

You asked for my opinion for no reason. I gave it and now you're getting all sensitive.

I mentioned you in one sentence, I wrote a good few paragraphs which had nothing to do with you.

Of course all abuse is awful. What more do you want? What are you trying to imply?
Thank you.

Of course that's a huge problem. But i'm entirely unsure what feminism has to do with this or why you've brought it up.
It seems like you've seen a headline saying men are being abused and have used it as an excuse to bash feminism. Which is bizarre.

All cases of abuse need to be taken seriously. I'm a feminist and I totally condemn abuse whatever the context. I don't see why on earth there is a distinction between campaigning on women's issues and condemning abuse by women on men.

I think the point against feminism is that although it claims to be about equality, feminists scream and shout about domestic violence and seem to make it out as though women are the only victims and never the perpetrators

Posted from TSR Mobile
3*10^6 women are victims of domestic abuse in UK.
Original post by Underscore__
I think the point against feminism is that although it claims to be about equality, feminists scream and shout about domestic violence and seem to make it out as though women are the only victims and never the perpetrators

Posted from TSR Mobile

Feminism is a women's' movement. It focuses on women's issues. Men's movements should focus on such issues but unfortunately there is no coherent mens issues movement as the current MRA seem to be almost entirely comprised of raidically right wing anti-feminists pretending they care about men's issues.

And the feminist movement isn't just about 'equality' it's about campaigning on and trying to help issues which effect women, whether that is something like Breast Cancer or the reasons women go into prostitution among others.

I don't think feminism makes out women can never be the perpetrators, of course they can. I'm a feminist and of course admit and condemn any abuse by women, like I do any abuse by men.

I don't see any contradiction at all between being a feminist and supporting real issues than effect men. Unfortunately it seems like its the MRA lot who does.
@driftawaay are your comments genuinely serious?

If so, they're revolting and the reason why feminists and SJW get a bad image.

If not, they're still revolting because this is a serious issue and is just as important as domestic abuse against females.
Reply 51
It's perhaps worth pointing out that this figure 700,000 men covers all forms of domestic abuse, and perhaps slightly more than half of these are at the hands of a partner. And again out of that a sizeable proportion are likely to be non-physical and non-sexual.

So whilst all form of abuse must be condemned, the opening post by the OP is perhaps a little misleading in the way it quickly moves on to highlight issues that relate specifically to men suffering from physical abuse by a female partner.
Original post by offhegoes
It's perhaps worth pointing out that this figure 700,000 men covers all forms of domestic abuse, and perhaps slightly more than half of these are at the hands of a partner. And again out of that a sizeable proportion are likely to be non-physical and non-sexual.

So whilst all form of abuse must be condemned, the opening post by the OP is perhaps a little misleading in the way it quickly moves on to highlight issues that relate specifically to men suffering from physical abuse by a female partner.

It doesn't mention anything to do with physical abuse in the OP.
Reply 53
Original post by jamestg

They are just trying to minimise it as they don't like it
Reply 54
Original post by jamestg

So the quote of something along the lines of "she will say that I attacked her and she just defendes herself" doesnmt imply physical abuse?
Reply 55
Original post by joecphillips
They are just trying to minimise it as they don't like it

We don't like people misusing statistics regurgitated by the media involving the suffering of others purely to push an agenda.
These men need to 'man-up'.
Attachment not found
image.jpegThe law is an absolute joke. The female population are not violent but the minority carry on getting away with paedophilia, domestic abuse and get lighter punishments then have the cheek to complain about how violent men are(I'm still talking about the minority here). If a woman is capable of ruining Libya(yes I'm talking to you, Hilary Clinton) then clearly women are capable of getting equal punishments. Then in comes the argument of "I'm a woman I'm automatically innocent" is exactly why we will never achieve equality.

If you want equality then carry your own bags, stop laughing at men who cry and go and be a dustbinman.
Original post by offhegoes
So the quote of something along the lines of "she will say that I attacked her and she just defendes herself" doesnmt imply physical abuse?

Nope. Only around 37% of types of domestic abuse are actually physical - the rest being emotional, financial, neglect and discriminatory abuse. So really the implications are just stereotypes.

I know the data is from a small part of the country, but I doubt overall in the country (and even the world) the amount of physical abuse will be more than 50%. It's unlikely for data to be out by 13% IMO.
Reply 59
EDIT: THANK YOU TO THOSE IN THE COMMENTS WHO ARE PROVING THE ARTICLES POINT, THAT MEN ARE JUST LAUGHED AT, DISGUSTING.
The telegraph can reveal that 700,000 men are victims of domestic abuse in the UK, and those who report it are often arrested after being abused. Furthermore, society does not take them seriously and mocks them, saying that they are lying or are wimps.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12061547/How-male-victims-of-domestic-abuse-often-end-up-getting-arrested-themselves.html

“The type of thing we hear is ‘my wife or girlfriend has said if I leave, or tell anyone, she will say I was the one attacking her and she was just defending herself.”

Unfortunately, as everyone already knows men are the "criminals". I blame the mainstream media, BBC and Sky, for tackling these issues. Remeber Sharon Osborne on the view laughing about a man who's penis was cut off by his wife? Of course you don't.

But we do know that all men are Jimmy Saviles and Rolf Harris'. Sad world we live in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending