Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting a tutor Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I have an offer of A*A*A (resits) and I have my doubts about my ability to get those grades through just self study as I'm on a gap year.

I will get a tutor for bio/chem. I am familiar with most of the material but would find it useful for someone to quiz me or mark essays and discuss targets as I'm so hopelessly bad at self-motivation.

It's maths I'm wondering about. After a long period of non-work, I did get a maths tutor in the May before my Further Maths exams. I got through the Fp2 and M2 books and about half of Fp3. Never progressed to past papers. In the weekly 1 hr lessons, I'd work on questions in the book while she played on the phone and then she'd ask if I had questions. I'd usually have none. The benefit was that I had someone I felt somewhat accountable to so perhaps getting one now would mean I'd work hard as I did then to do a couple chapters a weeks so I'd be done soon and start papers. But it did feel like a waste of money because what I read I tended to understand. I just needed practice.

Has anyone had a good experience with a tutor for maths? I'm looking to hear from people in a similar position to me who aren't necessarily bad at the subject but wanted some help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    Hi there. I have an offer of A*A*A (resits) and I have my doubts about my ability to get those grades through just self study as I'm on a gap year.

I will get a tutor for bio/chem. I am familiar with most of the material but would find it useful for someone to quiz me or mark essays and discuss targets as I'm so hopelessly bad at self-motivation.

It's maths I'm wondering about. After a long period of non-work, I did get a maths tutor in the May before my Further Maths exams. I got through the Fp2 and M2 books and about half of Fp3. Never progressed to past papers. In the weekly 1 hr lessons, I'd work on questions in the book while she played on the phone and then she'd ask if I had questions. I'd usually have none. The benefit was that I had someone I felt somewhat accountable to so perhaps getting one now would mean I'd work hard as I did then to do a couple chapters a weeks so I'd be done soon and start papers. But it did feel like a waste of money because what I read I tended to understand. I just needed practice.

Has anyone had a good experience with a tutor for maths? I'm looking to hear from people in a similar position to me who aren't necessarily bad at the subject but wanted some help.
    I'm in a slightly different position to you but I'm considering getting a tutor to iron out the creases that have appeared since I last studied maths academically.

In terms of what you need, I'm not sure that a tutor is the best person to help. It reads like you struggle for motivation to practice Maths, but you clearly know that the difference between an A*/A/B is practice. Instead of hiring a tutor, try to view this year as a bridge between school and university. Unless you have an offer for Oxbridge, face to face contact with tutors will be fairly minimal, and there are plenty of people that say next to nothing in tutorials.

If you don't prepare for tutorials then you are missing out on that chance to learn something.

What degree is it you are going to do? If its something that requires maths, then the chances are that you'll need to apply some of what you learn to the course. The confidence you'll gain from working through the hard stuff yourself will be very helpful come exam time.

In terms of motivation, we are all very different in what drives us to do whatever it is we do. When people look back fondly on their days studying, they'll remember the moments when persevering finally made things click, rather than the hours of hard slog. but the hours are what are required, and you'll find that the students that do best at university are those that can put in consistent hard work over the years they are there. Now is the time to get into that habit yourself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elegantsolution)
    I'm in a slightly different position to you but I'm considering getting a tutor to iron out the creases that have appeared since I last studied maths academically.

In terms of what you need, I'm not sure that a tutor is the best person to help. It reads like you struggle for motivation to practice Maths, but you clearly know that the difference between an A*/A/B is practice. Instead of hiring a tutor, try to view this year as a bridge between school and university. Unless you have an offer for Oxbridge, face to face contact with tutors will be fairly minimal, and there are plenty of people that say next to nothing in tutorials.

If you don't prepare for tutorials then you are missing out on that chance to learn something.

What degree is it you are going to do? If its something that requires maths, then the chances are that you'll need to apply some of what you learn to the course. The confidence you'll gain from working through the hard stuff yourself will be very helpful come exam time.

In terms of motivation, we are all very different in what drives us to do whatever it is we do. When people look back fondly on their days studying, they'll remember the moments when persevering finally made things click, rather than the hours of hard slog. but the hours are what are required, and you'll find that the students that do best at university are those that can put in consistent hard work over the years they are there. Now is the time to get into that habit yourself.
    Oh okay!

Hmmm. I'm struggling for motivation to study maths because I'm not in an academic setting and I don't have any pressure of problem sheets to solve or papers to be in on me. I would have been fine with a simple study buddy, but alas my friends are off at uni.While you have a point, even my friends at uni have somewhat regular things to hand in. Essays for the humanities, problem sheets and reports for the STEM subjects.

But I guess you have a point. Perhaps getting somebody would be a crutch and even if I did meet my offer, I'd be doing myself no favours.

The A*A*A offer is for biological Natural Science. There is some mathematics though it's only a fraction of the course. As I tried to explain the OP, I am not in the position where I'm declaring I'm struggling to understand the content and require help but simply that I feel that it might benefit me to have someone who I can check in with though the idea does seem stupid - even as I type it.

Thank you for your post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    Oh okay!

Hmmm. I'm struggling for motivation to study maths because I'm not in an academic setting and I don't have any pressure of problem sheets to solve or papers to be in on me. I would have been fine with a simple study buddy, but alas my friends are off at uni.While you have a point, even my friends at uni have somewhat regular things to hand in. Essays for the humanities, problem sheets and reports for the STEM subjects.

But I guess you have a point. Perhaps getting somebody would be a crutch and even if I did meet my offer, I'd be doing myself no favours.

The A*A*A offer is for biological Natural Science. There is some mathematics though it's only a fraction of the course. As I tried to explain the OP, I am not in the position where I'm declaring I'm struggling to understand the content and require help but simply that I feel that it might benefit me to have someone who I can check in with though the idea does seem stupid - even as I type it.

Thank you for your post
    I see where you are coming from. I didn't mean to sound overly harsh in that post so sorry if it came off that way!

Id view the maths as one of those things you don't really want to do but have to anyway. There will be plenty more at Uni, believe me!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elegantsolution)
    I see where you are coming from. I didn't mean to sound overly harsh in that post so sorry if it came off that way!

Id view the maths as one of those things you don't really want to do but have to anyway. There will be plenty more at Uni, believe me!
    Not harsh at all. I just want to clarify that when I previously used the tutor, I wasn't only working in the lessons. To do 2.5 modules of book questions in th month of weekly 1 hr lessons wouldn't allow that! I did 2 chapters or so at home and then worked on questions in the lesson. It was just observed study time, I guess, and I had targets which I felt pressured to meet.

It is not as if I dislike maths. Infact I read some stuff in my spare time. It is that working of my own accord is difficult and I worry about doing the sufficient amount of work I need on my own.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.