The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What to do about food waste?

Hello
some of you might have heard that France passed a law that literally forbids food waste. As far as I know, companies are not allowed to waste any food anymore. Be it products near it's sell by date in supermarkets or leftovers in restaurants. I wonder how they comply with the law in restaurants.. Everyone goes home with a doggy bag?! Anyone knows?

I know that every household in the UK wastes an average of 700 pounds each year on perfectly edible food. That's 12.5 billion pounds throughout the UK!!! I always thought that food is wasted during production and in supermarkets, but there was this article in the guardian which stated that 50% of food waste is produced in the home with bread and salad being #1 products that are landing in the bin.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/aug/12/cutting-food-waste-enough-for-everyone-says-un

It's not only about the money but about the resources, too. Think about the milk cow: The farmer who gets up in the morning, the water, the food to feed, taking care of the animals, the land, the transport (road usage, diesel, etc.), the packaging, the person who stocks it on the shelves and at the end you pour that milk in the sink because you bought too much and it got off...

Anyway, long story short, are you concerned about this waste? Is there something you're doing about it other than being "conscious of what and how much" you buy?
Although I believe that we should reduce the amount we waste, I don't think it'll be entirely possible to control. I'm sure companies and such buy, from your example, a lot of milk with the expectation that they'll sell it all and it's unfortunate when they do not.

In terms of food, I really do think restaurants and such should think of a good method that will allow them to get rid of the food they no longer need, but is still edible even though it's close to or slightly past it's expiry date and reduce the amount of waste they produce.

For example, I watched this episode of cheap skates where a woman literally went out every evening to look into the bins of high-end grocery stores to retrieve food for free so that she could eat it, so I think it would be a good idea if restaurants just left their food behind their building or something so that the homeless and/or those that want free food can just come by a pick it up to take away? I don't see why they'd have any reason to complain, it's better people took it rather than letting it rot.

Here is the vid:

[video="youtube;11c4LRomkSo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11c4LRomkSo[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thecatwithnohat

In terms of food, I really do think restaurants and such should think of a good method that will allow them to get rid of the food they no longer need, but is still edible even though it's close to or slightly past it's expiry date and reduce the amount of waste they produce.

I concur. Dropping it off at a local food bank would be a start.
Original post by Drunk Punx
I concur. Dropping it off at a local food bank would be a start.

What I meant to 'get rid of' was that they should have a good method that will allow them to get the food off their hands without wasting it. A food bank would be a good idea as to how they could do that.
What I meant to 'get rid of' was that they should have a good method that will allow them to get the food off their hands without wasting it. A food bank would be a good idea as to how they could do that.

Exactly. A food bank makes the most sense as I'm sure it'll cost less (though in theory it should cost nothing seeing as they'd only throw it away anyway) than however much the food banks spend on getting food currently.

NB: I have no idea how food banks work, for all I know they might get all the food from charities (and therefore it'll cost them nothing) anyway.
Exactly. A food bank makes the most sense as I'm sure it'll cost less (though in theory it should cost nothing seeing as they'd only throw it away anyway) than however much the food banks spend on getting food currently.

NB: I have no idea how food banks work, for all I know they might get all the food from charities (and therefore it'll cost them nothing) anyway.

Food banks do tend to be charities within themselves; they're giving food out to others and appealing to others to hand in food.

Haha... food banks usually request tinned/canned food or food in packets e.g. biscuits, juice cartons etc. because they won't spoil quickly so if restaurants are just throwing away a plate of food that's gone cold, that won't do. If the food has just gone past its expiry date, too, then giving it to a food bank won't be an option :dontknow:
Food banks do tend to be charities within themselves; they're giving food out to others and appealing to others to hand in food.

Haha... food banks usually request tinned/canned food or food in packets e.g. biscuits, juice cartons etc. because they won't spoil quickly so if restaurants are just throwing away a plate of food that's gone cold, that won't do. If the food has just gone past its expiry date, too, then giving it to a food bank won't be an option :dontknow:

Which expiry date? If it's the use by date then I kinda get that, but if it's the sell by date then (as it's presumably got at least another day before hitting the use by date) then I reckon it should be given to the banks.

Food off a plate isn't an option, agreed. That'd be kinda... weird.
Expiry as in the date that indicates the food is dead and gone :rofl: use by dates only indicate how long the food stays fresh for, but can still be eaten I think...

Weird, yes. :lol:

Which expiry date? If it's the use by date then I kinda get that, but if it's the sell by date then (as it's presumably got at least another day before hitting the use by date) then I reckon it should be given to the banks.

Food off a plate isn't an option, agreed. That'd be kinda... weird.
Reply 8
Great, so my last post has been declined for whatever reason (yes I know the rules)...

To keep it short because I need to assume that this post is getting declined as well(?!):

Restaurants try to make profit so they're good in re-using leftovers such as beef burgers to e.g. make chili con carne out of it which could then be refrigerated / frozen.

50% of food waste occurs in the home according to a Guardian article.

What would you do to tackle YOUR food waste? What are you currently doing to reduce food waste in your home? I'm curious to hear your strategies and tipps. One of mine is e.g. when buying a bunch of herbs to chop all of it, use what I need, then freeze the rest so that I always have fresh (frozen) herbs. Another is trying food sharing app OLIO, which is completely free to use.
Reply 9
Food waste is a major problem that should be considered seriously. I recently came across this graphic ( https://www.unipointsoftware.com/food-waste-facts/ ) that clearly shows the statics of how much food is wasted all over the world. The statics sure are very disappointing. But off course there are ways to solve this. The infographics also suggests ways to reduce food waste. What other way do you think can be suggested?