Turn on thread page Beta

Biochemistry and A2 choices, please help! watch

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished AS biology, chemistry, geography and English lanaguage but I am not sure what to do at A2. I have now decided that I want to study biochemistry at uni and I have the option to either do all 4 subjects at A2 or biology, chemistry, geography at A2 and maths at AS. Do you think unis would prefer me to apply with 4 A-levels or with 3 A-levels and maths AS for biochemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the typical A-level offer 3-Alevels (and ocasionally 1AS) - You should be fine with biology/chemistry at A2 - I suppose anything extra is a bonus. Check out some online uni course requirements to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    this may be oxford specific..but i've heard the standard biochemistry subjects are chemistry, biology & maths.

so perhaps check where you want to apply?

ReputationRep:
    You may find maths helpful, as in some parts of physical chemsitry you need to be quite a bit more advanced than GCSE standard. I do straight chemistry, and people who didn't do maths at A-Level had to do a 12 week module in maths so that they'd be at the right standard to do the rest of the degree at. It wasn't an extra module though - I had to choose something else instead cos I did A2 maths.

ReputationRep:
    I would say go with the Bio, Chem and Geog and if you want to do the AS Maths, although there isnt really a requirement to do so, so should you find the workload too much you could drop it. Your priority will be the A2 Bio and Chem and will probably form the basis of any offer. As already mentioned, best check out where you feel you will apply to, although I cant envisage any problems with the above combination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    this may be oxford specific..but i've heard the standard biochemistry subjects are chemistry, biology & maths.

so perhaps check where you want to apply?
    In the Oxford prospectus Chemistry is deemed essential, and they recommend either Biology or Maths to full A Level. However, they do add that a knowledge of both subjects to AS Level is 'Helpful'. Biochem applications have surged in the past two years though [something masked by the prospectus aggregating showing the past three years] so they could probably choose people with all science a levels, which sadly [In my opinion] is what Oxford seems to prefer doing.

ReputationRep:
    :confused: Hey
    I would like to know if it would be possible to change degrees during the 1st or 2nd year and not have to repeat for example if I applied for a molecular life science degree such as Immunology and later decide to follow a degree from a different school such as one from the biomedical sciences. Alternatively could it be possible to do half and half of each from both departments?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Biochemistry this year and I was taking Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I took Welsh as an AS and dropped it so I havent done Maths since GCSE but I had no problems getting accepted onto the Biochem courses at Cardiff, Sheffield, Warwick and Bath (the one in Bath was a Masters course and I didn't need maths for it).

Although I think maths is needed for Oxford and Cambridge & I've ended up not doing Biochem anyway lol!

Hope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    I know that AS maths is preferable to some universities for Chemistry. But for biochemsitry, Chemistry is the only essential A2 I believe, unless you're applying for Oxbridge. Have a look at the universities' websites- they will have all the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    see what the unis you're thinking of applying to want. if they want the maths, then it might be sensible to take that, but otherwise i would do the combination you're more interested in and will enjoy more. you'll work better that way and (hopefully!) get marks at teh end of it!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.