Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

are my college in breach of some kind of guidelines or just plain ignorant? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, me again

this is going to sound stupid, and I'm sorry if I'm wasting anyone's time here but i would really like to hear your thoughts on this

I'm on an HE course at [college I won't name] and part of one of our modules, (which was just introduced this year,) is some kind of diagnostic assessment in which even the tutors just don't see the point of anyway, it is quite honestly wasting their time and ours filling it out.

basically, you tick "yes" and "no" (not graded at all) boxes based on things around time keeping, motivation, stress etc etc as well as fundamental skills which I DON'T mind being quizzed on as knowing how to reference, analyze and compare are VERY important to virtually all courses at HE

so you do the diagnostic assessment and it tells you where your weak points are regarding the examples above, now the issue I have is plain and simple; I'm dyspraxic, with physical condition(s) and I also suffer with trauma, depressive and anxiety disorders, I'm awaiting therapy for the latter three, so when I do the questionnaire honestly, and say no, I can't keep to a tight schedule or my appointments sometimes, no i can't always keep myself from showing that I'm stressed, yes, i have major issues giving presentations, and no i can't stay motivated to save my life presently either.

the results of the diagnostics prove what I already knew and then I'm forced to do some sort of silly tick box exercises and repeatedly write 500 words about "how i stay motivated" or "how i can not get distracted" for 6 hours, and they are REALLY F**KING PATRONIZING, like, I'm not kidding here, they make me feel like I'm a goddamn three year old because I have developmental issues and mental health problems.

I personally feel it's in breach of some kind of guideline here, forcing extra work onto those who have learning difficulties or mental health issues, won't magic the freaking problem away, it won't make their motivation suddenly come back or suddenly cure the incurable.
    I think the entire diagnostic is being handled entirely wrong, and could actually be damaging people rather than helping them
    for example, if there is an issue with timekeeping, motivation, or stress, we should be referred to learning support for face to face pastoral support, not bogged down in more work that will just end up in a massive rabble of ****.

the most basic way I can explain it here, is people with learning and mental difficulties are being given more work, because of something beyond their control, that they may or may not be already getting help for.

do you see where i'm coming from, I'm sorry if i'm not quite explaining it properly, dyspraxic and all, oh wait, the diagnostic cured me! *rolls eyes*

what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hmm yeah I guess it just falls under what the school is advised to do at college time many students do feel stress, anxiety etc. so I guess its a way to empathize with pupils and perhaps try to help them. The circumstances your showing here, I think should give you the right to simply not do the questionnaire at all after all the therapy probably helps better right. Best advice (from myself) speak to someone senior or a teacher (someone you get on with) and I'm sure they'll sort it out at the end of the day your school's trying to help, although it may not seem like it, but yeah seek advice and I'm sure it will help. Sorry don't know how to remove spoiler just started SR
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeealex)
    Hey guys, me again

this is going to sound stupid, and I'm sorry if I'm wasting anyone's time here but i would really like to hear your thoughts on this

I'm on an HE course at [college I won't name] and part of one of our modules, (which was just introduced this year,) is some kind of diagnostic assessment in which even the tutors just don't see the point of anyway, it is quite honestly wasting their time and ours filling it out.

basically, you tick "yes" and "no" (not graded at all) boxes based on things around time keeping, motivation, stress etc etc as well as fundamental skills which I DON'T mind being quizzed on as knowing how to reference, analyze and compare are VERY important to virtually all courses at HE

so you do the diagnostic assessment and it tells you where your weak points are regarding the examples above, now the issue I have is plain and simple; I'm dyspraxic, with physical condition(s) and I also suffer with trauma, depressive and anxiety disorders, I'm awaiting therapy for the latter three, so when I do the questionnaire honestly, and say no, I can't keep to a tight schedule or my appointments sometimes, no i can't always keep myself from showing that I'm stressed, yes, i have major issues giving presentations, and no i can't stay motivated to save my life presently either.

the results of the diagnostics prove what I already knew and then I'm forced to do some sort of silly tick box exercises and repeatedly write 500 words about "how i stay motivated" or "how i can not get distracted" for 6 hours, and they are REALLY F**KING PATRONIZING, like, I'm not kidding here, they make me feel like I'm a goddamn three year old because I have developmental issues and mental health problems.

I personally feel it's in breach of some kind of guideline here, forcing extra work onto those who have learning difficulties or mental health issues, won't magic the freaking problem away, it won't make their motivation suddenly come back or suddenly cure the incurable.
    I think the entire diagnostic is being handled entirely wrong, and could actually be damaging people rather than helping them
    for example, if there is an issue with timekeeping, motivation, or stress, we should be referred to learning support for face to face pastoral support, not bogged down in more work that will just end up in a massive rabble of ****.

the most basic way I can explain it here, is people with learning and mental difficulties are being given more work, because of something beyond their control, that they may or may not be already getting help for.

do you see where i'm coming from, I'm sorry if i'm not quite explaining it properly, dyspraxic and all, oh wait, the diagnostic cured me! *rolls eyes*

what do you guys think?
    Completely see where you are coming from. I d complain to a head of department at least. Seems plain ignorant of them to do such a thing if not a bit discriminatory . Like when an English teacher of mine thought she could cure my handwriting problems by forcing me to do more writing. Have you gotten support through dsa?

ReputationRep:
    Hey claire, thanks for your reply, it's utterly ridiculous that teachers think they can do that! it's so frustrating when some of them think they know it all huh?

the worst part is, the diagnostic essays are due in on monday at 10am, so I'd have to do them and submit them under protest, or drag myself in on my off day tomorrow to have it out with them.

i'm not currently getting help through DSA, the forms not only confused me to heck, but, my dyspraxia was unofficially diagnosed aged 17 after my sixth form tutor picked up on it, even though i would have thought an official diagnosis would be easier to make once the sufferer has matured and you can be certain it's not just 'clumsy kid syndrome' but anyway, beside the point, i will probably apply next year if i choose to stay on the course, i would like to because aside from the moronic diagnostic tests and the complete lack of communication from LSS (I was meant to get an extension 4 months ago for a module, but never heard whether i did or not) the course is actually pretty fun.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hey claire, thanks for your reply, it's utterly ridiculous that teachers think they can do that! it's so frustrating when some of them think they know it all huh?

the worst part is, the diagnostic essays are due in on monday at 10am, so I'd have to do them and submit them under protest, or drag myself in on my off day tomorrow to have it out with them.

i'm not currently getting help through DSA, the forms not only confused me to heck, but, my dyspraxia was unofficially diagnosed aged 17 after my sixth form tutor picked up on it, even though i would have thought an official diagnosis would be easier to make once the sufferer has matured and you can be certain it's not just 'clumsy kid syndrome' but anyway, beside the point, i will probably apply next year if i choose to stay on the course, i would like to because aside from the moronic diagnostic tests and the complete lack of communication from LSS (I was meant to get an extension 4 months ago for a module, but never heard whether i did or not) the course is actually pretty fun.
    You might want to consider getting an official diagnosis from an ed psych. I d have it out with them or if they don't stand for any credits of your course then don't do them

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, me again

what do you guys think?
    Just to clarify- is the diagnostic & extra piece of work just for those with a disability? Or is everyone required to do the work.

ReputationRep:
    everyone is required to do the test as a compulsory part of the module however it puts people with disabilities at a significant disadvantage.
    Like i said, if it were just the fundamental skills area of the 'course' it wouldn't be an issue, however the interpersonal side is invasive, patronizing, pointless and unsympathetic to people's difficulties and needs.
    if i'm lacking motivation, feeling stressed or struggling with time management, that's down to me, as an adult, to approach learning support and get pastoral help.

ReputationRep:
    When I did access to HE last year we did this unit as part of Developmental Skills module (or Study Skills as some know it). Almost every student doing similar courses will have to do it, at least in some way shape or form.
    I have dyslexia, social anxiety disorder, mobility problems etc but knowing my weak points meant when I started Uni this past September my study support, DSA advisor, disability support advisor and lecturers were kept informed and able to make sure I'm on the right path. I haven't needed to rely on that help yet (doing good on my own) but it's there. Don't let a generic piece of assessment decide so much about you and if nothing else see it as constructive and think about what you can do to make future studying the most beneficial to you

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.