Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It was a warping of space-time, ie., mass affects how space and time interacts with other masses.

What if the same applies for electrostatic forces? Do strong electric fields also distort space time? Do experiements show that charge interacts with time? Do charges have their own "continuum" which they warp much like gravity warps spacetime? What if there is another parameter in the universe like time that only interacts with charge but not mass? "dark time" so to speak?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting idea. Electric and magnetic fields would appear to arise because of time. You'll notice in Maxwell's equations that 2 of them are dependant on a time derivative so that's to say that a charge moving through time will cause electric and magnetic fields to arise due to time flowing. If it wasn't the case and we had a situation like in general relativity then I doubt whether Maxwell's equations or QED would have been as successful. If there is some other parameter related to charge as spacetime is to mass then I'd guess it's got sometime to do with light as that's made up of photons which are also the particles that mediate electromagnetic forces.

I'm just basically taking an educated guess off the top of my head but if there is some substance in that idea then why not also consider the strong and weak nuclear forces too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertyMan)
    It was a warping of space-time, ie., mass affects how space and time interacts with other masses.

What if the same applies for electrostatic forces? Do strong electric fields also distort space time? Do experiements show that charge interacts with time? Do charges have their own "continuum" which they warp much like gravity warps spacetime? What if there is another parameter in the universe like time that only interacts with charge but not mass? "dark time" so to speak?
    The truth is, it's not only rest mass that warps space-time in general relativity, it's energy. In general relativity, you equate (roughly) the curvature tensor with the stress-energy tensor, the latter describing energy density and fluxes. So of course electric fields (not just electrostatics) contribute to this tensor. At the same time, we're still (last I checked) ill-equipped to study the reciprocal effect this has on quantum electrodynamics, which incorporates special relativity fully but is yet to be reconciled with gravity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.