The Student Room Group

Sydney medical elective in May advice please!

Hello!

I'm going to Sydney for my medical elective for 4 weeks and I really would like some advice please. =) I'm going to Liverpool Hospital and I'd like to travel around Australia at the weekends and see a lot of sights in Sydney during my free time. I'm also planning to spend a week after my elective to travel around New Zealand. =)
I'm probably going to travel alone and I don't actually know what to expect. So, any advice would be much appreciated! Eg. travelling around NZ, where to go in Australia/Sydney itself, how best to travel etc.

Thank you in advance! =D
Reply 1
Original post by PHK
Hello!

I'm going to Sydney for my medical elective for 4 weeks and I really would like some advice please. =) I'm going to Liverpool Hospital and I'd like to travel around Australia at the weekends and see a lot of sights in Sydney during my free time. I'm also planning to spend a week after my elective to travel around New Zealand. =)
I'm probably going to travel alone and I don't actually know what to expect. So, any advice would be much appreciated! Eg. travelling around NZ, where to go in Australia/Sydney itself, how best to travel etc.

Thank you in advance! =D

I did my elective in Sydney last year and then spent a couple of months travelling around Australia.

The best way to travel in Australia is to buy a Greyhound ticket. It's an open ticket you get between 2 locations and allows hop-on-hop-off travel as much as you like - they do it between most major locations. The Greyhound buses themselves are actually amazing (never thought I'd describe a bus as amazing) but they're clean, comfortable, powerpoints, wifi, etc. What I did was fly into Melbourne, explore Victoria and that region for around 2 weeks before my elective started, and then had a Melbourne -> Sydney Greyhound ticket. Stopped off in Canberra (which is pretty much the only place between Melbourne and Sydney, half to see it (it's underwhelming) and half because otherwise the journey is horrendous). Then I was in Sydney for 8 weeks, lived in Newtown and pretty much explored most of that region of NSW so if you have any questions let me know. After my 8-week elective I flew up to Cairns and then had another Greyhound ticket Cairns -> Sydney, spent a month and a bit travelling the coast and then flew home from Sydney. In that time I also flew to the red centre/Uluru and explored there a bit.

Other than my accommodation for the 8 week elective, most accommodation was booked on the Greyhound travelling to the next place. Very flexible and is better than planning and booking it all ahead, etc.

Let me know if there's any specific questions...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending