Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Until very recently, I had no idea what I wanted to do and, since I was pretty good in the majority of subjects (9 A*s) I couldn't discount ones I weren't good at. However, I'm no thinking of medicine but I have already chosen my A levels (Maths, Chem, Physics and English Lit) with AAAA predictions in all of them. What are the likelihoods of me being accepted for medicine without Biology (I got an A* and 96 UMS at GCSE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabe_lawyer)
    Until very recently, I had no idea what I wanted to do and, since I was pretty good in the majority of subjects (9 A*s) I couldn't discount ones I weren't good at. However, I'm no thinking of medicine but I have already chosen my A levels (Maths, Chem, Physics and English Lit) with AAAA predictions in all of them. What are the likelihoods of me being accepted for medicine without Biology (I got an A* and 96 UMS at GCSE)
    Yes although Universities do like having biology in the course fundamentally only chemistry (and maths) are essential for the course. Be sure to check out University entry requirements if you are looking to go to a specific one, but having chemistry is essential biology not as much although it is likened, good luck.

(Original post by Maz A)
    Yes although Universities do like having biology in the course fundamentally only chemistry (and maths) are essential for the course. Be sure to check out University entry requirements if you are looking to go to a specific one, but having chemistry is essential biology not as much although it is likened, good luck.
    Check out http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_requirements.

While some places will be open to people without even an AS Level in biology, most of those places do warn that you're likely to struggle with the course if the only biology that you've done before starting was two years ago at GCSE-level. There are a handful to choose from, but you'd have more choice if you took an AS Level in biology, at least.

Maths isn't required or preferred anywhere except Magdelene College, Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Not all medical schools require biology, but you'll be able to apply to a wider range of unis if you have at least an AS level in it. Is there any chance you could pick up the AS next year?

(Original post by Maz A)
    You don't need maths, maths is not essential.

ReputationRep:
    As other people have said, Biology is NOT needed - Chemistry is.
    However, uni people I have spoke to have said that you may struggle without Biology, so I would recommend maybe read up on AS or maybe A2 biology yourself - theres loads of tutorials and stuff on YouTube if u get stuck. But they won't reject you simply because you haven't taken biology. Maybe take it as an AS?

(Original post by Elliot_97)
    However, uni people I have spoke to have said that you may struggle without Biology, so I would recommend maybe read up on AS or maybe A2 biology yourself - theres loads of tutorials and stuff on YouTube if u get stuck. But they won't reject you simply because you haven't taken biology. Maybe take it as an AS?
    They will if they happen to be among the majority of medical schools that do require at least an AS in biology. OP needs to research which places absolutely don't require at least an AS in biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    They will if they happen to be among the majority of medical schools that do require at least an AS in biology. OP needs to research which places absolutely don't require at least an AS in biology.
    A fair few - enough to cover the 4 options - do not require it at AS though.

A fair few - enough to cover the 4 options - do not require it at AS though.
    It's something like eight or nine places, and two of them are Oxford and Cambridge, only one of which can be applied to in any given year. It would be much better to take an AS at least because the OP really would be restricting him or herself to a really small number of places otherwise, with which he or she might have other qualms (e.g. doesn't like the city, doesn't like the course structure etc.).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    It's something like eight or nine places, and two of them are Oxford and Cambridge, only one of which can be applied to in any given year. It would be much better to take an AS at least because the OP really would be restricting him or herself to a really small number of places otherwise, with which he or she might have other qualms (e.g. doesn't like the city, doesn't like the course structure etc.).
    I definitely agree that it is certainly preferable to have biology, but was just telling the OP now they haven't taken it, what options are still available to them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Not all medical schools require biology, but you'll be able to apply to a wider range of unis if you have at least an AS level in it. Is there any chance you could pick up the AS next year?

You don't need maths, maths is not essential.
    It's unlikely that I'll be able to take it up because my school doesn't offer it as an AS any more but as full 2 year A2 course. Thank you for your input anyhow, I'll research some unis and see what options I have.

ReputationRep:
    yes just apply to the ones that don't require it
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-requirement

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.