The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

First-year student will answer all your questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrEvilside
Hey, guys!

I'm a first-year Creative and Media Writing student. I'm from Italy originally, but for this year I'm staying in Bateson Hall. For one of my units I'm running a blog about the city and the university. You can find it here.

I'd love to have some input from you people in terms of subjects you'd like to be covered in the blog! I've explored Portsmouth quite a lot, I keep an eye on the news, and I go to uni (duh), meaning I've got some pretty good hands-on experience of what it's like. If you have any questions regarding my course, the university in general, Bateson Hall, the city (shops, food, entertainment, etc.), please post it below!

I'll do my best to answer exhaustively in one of these two ways: if your questions is quite straightforward, I'll just post my reply here; if it allows room for long descriptions (e.g. "where's the best place to go food shopping?":wink:, then I'll write the reply on my blog.

It'd be awesome if you wanted to follow the blog and comment, but that's up to you! I'm here to help you as best as I can, while at the same time looking for some inspiration for my next posts!

Thank you for reading, now do your worst and bombard me. :wink:

Hello! I am an international student as well, from the US. I was wondering if you could give your opinion on the school in general and also the accommodations? Since I will be living there on campus I want to make sure I pick the best place to live. And do you think I should do catered or self-catered? I'll be starting here in Sept. of this year.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 21
Original post by ebrittia
I was wondering if you could give your opinion on the school in general and also the accommodations? Since I will be living there on campus I want to make sure I pick the best place to live.

Hi!

This is my review of Bateson Hall, the hall where I am right now. I can't say much about other halls, since I don't live there, but, as you read the post, keep in mind this hall is regarded as "the worst" by most students. Draw your own conclusions. :wink:

And do you think I should do catered or self-catered?

It depends on the person. Food can be a sensitive subject. Please, take a look at previous posts in this thread: a couple of replies ago, I mentioned of my friends' opinions regarding part-catered accommodation. As for me, I live in self-catered and I love it, I would never apply for catered, but that's me.

I hope this helps!
Hi!

This is my review of Bateson Hall, the hall where I am right now. I can't say much about other halls, since I don't live there, but, as you read the post, keep in mind this hall is regarded as "the worst" by most students. Draw your own conclusions. :wink:

It depends on the person. Food can be a sensitive subject. Please, take a look at previous posts in this thread: a couple of replies ago, I mentioned of my friends' opinions regarding part-catered accommodation. As for me, I live in self-catered and I love it, I would never apply for catered, but that's me.

I hope this helps!

Thank you!
Reply 23
Thank you!

No problem. :wink:
Reply 24
The second part of the Q&A is online!
Reply 25
This post will enlighten you (hopefully) about the typical first week of uni for international students!
This post will enlighten you (hopefully) about the typical first week of uni for international students!

Hi! me again just want to ask that how should i present my portfolio? (im thinking of doing 2 articles i wrote and an essay about hollywood movies)

shall i print them and put them in folder ?
Reply 27
Original post by 6thformer25
Hi! me again just want to ask that how should i present my portfolio? (im thinking of doing 2 articles i wrote and an essay about hollywood movies)

shall i print them and put them in folder ?

I really don't know. I'd recommend phoning them or e-mailing them for these details. They are very friendly and will get back to you in no time!
Reply 28
A good piece of advice for any new student in Portsmouth!
Reply 29
This post will be of interest to all those planning to apply for a Creative Writing course!
hey I have a interview for FdSc SPEECH, LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION SCIENCE does any one have and tips? do you know anyone currently on the course that I can tell me about their experience on the course.
Reply 31
Original post by Jenniferjm
hey I have a interview for FdSc SPEECH, LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION SCIENCE does any one have and tips? do you know anyone currently on the course that I can tell me about their experience on the course.

I'm sorry, I can't help. :frown: I don't know anyone from that course!
That's alright, do you know what halls is closest to that department (health sciences and social work) or have a particular one you could recommend?
Reply 33
Original post by Jenniferjm
That's alright, do you know what halls is closest to that department (health sciences and social work) or have a particular one you could recommend?

My experience is limited to Bateson Hall, so you can read the related post on my blog. I'm sorry, but I don't know where that department is based. I hope the blog post will help at least a little!
Reply 34
This is a general guide to the main supermarkets in Portsmouth!
hey do you know if portsmouth has recreational ballet? as a club or something?
Reply 36
Original post by sookie17
hey do you know if portsmouth has recreational ballet? as a club or something?

I don't think so, but you can check this website if you want to make sure. They do have some dance society, like breakdancing!
Reply 37
Take a look if you need help to save money in your daily shopping!
Reply 38
This post is on cheaper and less well-known supermarkets in Portsmouth!
Reply 39

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending