Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B919 - Train Service Delay Compensation Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Whilst most of the details of season tickets are up to the rail company, NR do set out a minimum:

I may look into season tickets under a separate Bill if I do not get round to getting something written for a second reading to include here.
    I did not see that when I quickly read the document, that is good to know for future journeys. Are there more details for shorter delays?

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I did not see that when I quickly read the document, that is good to know for future journeys. Are there more details for shorter delays.
    Unfortunately there are no requirements set out by NR for any delays shorter than that for season tickets, however, some rail companies do give compensation for shorter delays (obviously, such as yours, they do not!).

A simple but effective change would be to require rail companies to give 10% of a weekly season ticket for delays of 30-59 minutes, and leave the 20% of a weekly season ticket for delays of 60 minutes or more.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Make it 15 minutes and you'll have an aye. Trains are ridiculously expensive in this country and if one is seriously late you should get your money back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Make it 15 minutes and you'll have an aye. Trains are ridiculously expensive in this country and if one is seriously late you should get your money back.
    15 minutes is a bit short.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    I wouldn't exactly call 15 minutes short, it's easily more than enough to make the difference between being somewhere on time and getting their late
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's because you can't indent otherwise, hence why they're whited out...
    Ahhhh, now I'm in the browser I see it - on the app they came up as normal text.

Also, 3(3) doesn't make sense.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    15 minutes is really not a long time - especially given that up until recently, I believe, trains could be 5 or 10 minutes late, whilst still being classified as 'on time'.

EDIT: Just had to double check, but a train is classified as punctual for statistics, if it arrives in its terminating station within 5 mins for commuter services, and 10 mins for longer distance services.

This is the common measure throughout Europe, and so changing these times here would make comparison more difficult.

So yeh, when you look at these timings for 'punctual' trains, 15 mins really isn't that long.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Ahhhh, now I'm in the browser I see it - on the app they came up as normal text.

Also, 3(3) doesn't make sense.
    I would argue that it does, but in any case, as I have said previously, I will be revising that line to say along the lines of, 150% for single ticket, and 75% for return ticket.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Not really. As Kay said, for some people that could be the difference between getting to work on time or not, or getting to an appointment at a big hospital on time or not. And besides, if I've paid £30 to go to London, I don't want to have to stand on a cold wet platform for 15 minutes longer than I should have done.

ReputationRep:
    The Bill is a good idea. I just think it should go further.

I think it should not just be train companies- the same should apply to trams, cross-river ferries, and the London and Glasgow Underground.

The present 30 minutes I thought was for final destination not intermediate ones- should be both. For places such as within London, Manchester or Birmingham where journeys are often under half an hour, I suggest a 15 minute delay is enough.

I am not sure about cheques and for vouchers, it ought to be clear where they can be redeemed- my local station ticket office doesn't open on weekends in the afternoons. Boris Johnson has closed London Underground ticket offices. There also ought to be a time limit from the claim being made to payment being received.

Finally, if you bought on line for a fixed time journey, should not the refund be automatic without having to apply or claim? I went to a test match at the Oval where it said that if only a certain amount of play happened, you get a 50% refund. The lucky Aussies won after about 2 hours play, and Surrey CC refunded the money without me having to claim, in my bank account within a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I wouldn't exactly call 15 minutes short, it's easily more than enough to make the difference between being somewhere on time and getting their late
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Not really. As Kay said, for some people that could be the difference between getting to work on time or not, or getting to an appointment at a big hospital on time or not. And besides, if I've paid £30 to go to London, I don't want to have to stand on a cold wet platform for 15 minutes longer than I should have done.
    It's really not long enough to warrant suing.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=barnetlad;62011395]The Bill is a good idea. I just think it should go further.
    I think it should not just be train companies- the same should apply to trams, cross-river ferries, and the London and Glasgow Underground.
    To be honest, I was only really looking at National Rail services in this bill, these ones obviously don't apply to that, hence why they're not included. I have no idea if you can even claim any compensation for delays to london underground...

I am not sure about cheques and for vouchers, it ought to be clear where they can be redeemed- my local station ticket office doesn't open on weekends in the afternoons. Boris Johnson has closed London Underground ticket offices. There also ought to be a time limit from the claim being made to payment being received.
    Don't believe you can redeem the National Rail vouchers at London Underground stations anyway...

Finally, if you bought on line for a fixed time journey, should not the refund be automatic without having to apply or claim? I went to a test match at the Oval where it said that if only a certain amount of play happened, you get a 50% refund. The lucky Aussies won after about 2 hours play, and Surrey CC refunded the money without me having to claim, in my bank account within a week.
    There probably could be, however, without properly thinking about it, not sure of the ease, mainly because you don't always pay the train operator directly. Will have a think about the implementation of this though!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'll say outright, and this means if you want to Nay it for just this, that I won't reduce the time to 15 minutes. For one, out of your train ticket, approximately 25% goes to the operator's profits. However, if they're having to compensate masses more for those 15-29 minutes, then they won't take that out of only THEIR profit, there's no way to know whether they'd just reduce re-investment slightly.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    The Bill is a good idea. I just think it should go further.

The present 30 minutes I thought was for final destination not intermediate ones- should be both. For places such as within London, Manchester or Birmingham where journeys are often under half an hour, I suggest a 15 minute delay is enough.

London Underground has a pretty good compensation agreement anyway:

When we refund for service delaysIf your journey was delayed for reasons within our control by:
    • 15 minutes or more on Tube and DLR services
    • 30 minutes or more on London Overground or TfL Rail services
    We'll refund you the single fare for the journey you were delayed on.

ReputationRep:
    It's really not long enough to warrant suing.
    Perhaps as I so infrequently use any of the train lines aside from the underground it seems longer to me that it is, where having 8 minutes till the next train arrives is pretty much the longest I've had to wait aside from a few absurd 15 minute waits for a Met Line tube going to the right station for me.

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I would argue that it does, but in any case, as I have said previously, I will be revising that line to say along the lines of, 150% for single ticket, and 75% for return ticket.
    Right, so it would've been 50% of the remaining 50%. I was thinking you meant 100% for return
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Right, so it would've been 50% of the remaining 50%. I was thinking you meant 100% for return
    Exactly. It will definitely be much clearer on 2nd reading though!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. It will definitely be much clearer on 2nd reading though!
    Fair enough, that was my main issue

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.