The Student Room Group

Medicine at Oxbridge compared to everywhere else

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by svrabxivb
I've been hearing a lot of horror stories about the medicine course at both unis and wanted to ask some people with experience. Obviously it's tricky because people who do medicine at oxford for example have never done medicine anywhere else but anyway!

Is the course VERY stressful? I've heard that a lot of the course is mostly science based and you have to write a lot of essays, which I'm not keen on but idk if that's accurate. Also heard the workload is higher and exams are more difficult than everywhere else (which makes sense cos Oxbridge but does this actually provide any benefit to you as a future doctor?)

I've wanted to apply to Cambridge for ages, but the workload of it just sounds ridiculous and I don't want to make myself ill with nerves :frown: I want to enjoy my uni experience. I do know a girl who went to Cambridge a few years ago, had a complete breakdown, somehow reapplied later at barts and loved medicine there.

(I'm in year 12 at the moment)

and an extra question for medics, does the number of hours of volunteering / when you start matter or just how you reflect and learn from it?

thanks!
x

Let me know how it goes I'm in a similar position, as for volunteering I guess just doing a day a week helps as it totals up on you personal statement as you can outline I have volunteered at X for 4 months (you don't exactly say how many hours you have worked there for). I do know a student at my school who was academic, sporty, captain of Borders... he went to Oxford and well he did clarify the amount of stress is very large.
Is the course VERY stressful?

I did medicine at Oxford, finishing a year ago.

Its stressful at times. Its also fine at times. It really depends on you -if you had to work 40 hours per week for a-levels and you're dead set on getting a distinction then you'll likely be working a lot. If you cruised A-levels and don't mind scraping a 2.i then it will probably be pretty chilled. I had a great time - realistically I averaged about 25-30 hours per week of work and met loads of interesting people and had loads of experiences I would never have been able to do elsewhere and would definitely recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind an academic focus. The opposite is also true - I would not recommend it if you want PBL and struggled with a-levels and don't like hearing about lots of moleclar mechanisms. Its down to the individual.

I've heard that a lot of the course is mostly science based and you have to write a lot of essays, which I'm not keen on but idk if that's accurate.

It is. For the first 2-3 years at least. Not many essays in clinical years.

Also heard the workload is higher and exams are more difficult than everywhere else (which makes sense cos Oxbridge but does this actually provide any benefit to you as a future doctor?)

I wouldn't know as i've only done medicine at one uni! My understanding is that Oxford has a lower failure rate than most med schools.

Job applications are initially blinded to university. Oxbridge students do significantly better in all national exams including SJT (which is used to assign first jobs) and postgrad exams (which are compulsory to pass later on in your career). We will soon have a national finals examination - I suspect pass rates will be higher there too.

Its debatable as to whether this is due to better students starting the course to begin with, or better teaching. The reality is likely a bit of both.

I've wanted to apply to Cambridge for ages, but the workload of it just sounds ridiculous and I don't want to make myself ill with nerves :frown: I want to enjoy my uni experience. I do know a girl who went to Cambridge a few years ago, had a complete breakdown, somehow reapplied later at barts and loved medicine there.

There are also thousands of students who went to Cambridge and were fine.

Have you visited many places?
Original post by nexttime

Job applications are initially blinded to university. Oxbridge students do significantly better in all national exams including SJT (which is used to assign first jobs) and postgrad exams (which are compulsory to pass later on in your career). We will soon have a national finals examination - I suspect pass rates will be higher there too.

Its debatable as to whether this is due to better students starting the course to begin with, or better teaching. The reality is likely a bit of both.

This is quite interesting, not sure if you've seen it: http://bmcmededuc.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12909-015-0428-9
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
I did medicine at Oxford, finishing a year ago.

It is. For the first 2-3 years at least. Not many essays in clinical years.

There are also thousands of students who went to Cambridge and were fine.

Have you visited many places?

Seeing as I've never sat a full AS exam yet (mocks aren't for a little bit) I feel like I'm coping fine with AS-levels and getting decent As in tests but it could all fall to pieces in the exams haha! I wouldn't say I find it really easy and it seems a lot of people who end up at Oxbridge medicine found A-levels simple and had no trouble at all, so if they're stressed I might die (of course I would only apply if I got very high UMS and was confident in BMAT etc).

I haven't been to any open days yet as we're only allowed two days off for uni days in year 12, so hopefully as soon as I visit more places I can get a better idea of the course differences instead of being silly and falling in love with the aesthetic and history and atmosphere of Oxbridge (which is what I'm doing now and is a very bad idea). No point in liking the pretty buildings and traditions and disliking the course lmao

Thank you very much for replying! x
Reply 5
Original post by Maz A
Let me know how it goes I'm in a similar position, as for volunteering I guess just doing a day a week helps as it totals up on you personal statement as you can outline I have volunteered at X for 4 months (you don't exactly say how many hours you have worked there for). I do know a student at my school who was academic, sporty, captain of Borders... he went to Oxford and well he did clarify the amount of stress is very large.

Ah thanks, I was worried as I've not been very meticulous in counting up hours or anything but if I can just mention how many months I've done it for that's fine x
I haven't been to any open days yet as we're only allowed two days off for uni days in year 12, so hopefully as soon as I visit more places I can get a better idea of the course differences instead of being silly and falling in love with the aesthetic and history and atmosphere of Oxbridge (which is what I'm doing now and is a very bad idea). No point in liking the pretty buildings and traditions and disliking the course lmao

Convenient sick day - duh. Come on man I thought you were Oxbridge material!

I so strongly agree with your notion of focusing on the objective, measurable traits of a course rather than being distracted by a perceived 'atmosphere' though.
Reply 7
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending