Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A121 - Vote Changing Amendment 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well this does nothing because the author missed the word only. Also nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I must congratulate all the seconders on also missing that
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    If you make Aph's change, I'm happy to support

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Aye if changed as previously mentioned. It is obviously just a typo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    When this condition is met, aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    It's a sign of how much confidence we have in your abilities to proofread your proposals yourself. :awesome:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    When this condition is met, aye.
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    If you make Aph's change, I'm happy to support
    (Original post by Katty3)
    Aye if changed as previously mentioned. It is obviously just a typo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What if someone accidentally clicks no in stead of aye? After all they are both next to eachother it's easy to do. There has to be some considerations. I've advocated the 5 tier voting system and others have suggested a time limit to changing votes. A blanket ban isn't the right way.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    It's a sign of how much confidence we have in your abilities to proofread your proposals yourself. :awesome:
    You seriously trust somebody spending over 10 hours a day studying hard to be bothered to proof read when reading was pretty much the entirety of the studying?!

ReputationRep:
    Ab~stain~
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    What if someone accidentally clicks no in stead of aye? After all they are both next to eachother it's easy to do. There has to be some considerations. I've advocated the 5 tier voting system and others have suggested a time limit to changing votes. A blanket ban isn't the right way.
    It is only GD so there is the ability for the speaker to change it and tell them to be more careful next time if it is a one off event that is likely a genuine accident, but refuse to do so if they are consistently careless, something that does not seem to be an issue, or if they suspect it is an excuse to get around the rules.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It is only GD so there is the ability for the speaker to change it and tell them to be more careful next time if it is a one off event that is likely a genuine accident, but refuse to do so if they are consistently careless, something that does not seem to be an issue, or if they suspect it is an excuse to get around the rules.
    As long as this is observed, I'll be sticking to an Aye on this Aph
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    As long as this is observed, I'll be sticking to an Aye on this Aph
    Obviously it's up to the speaker when he chooses to allow the excuse, but I know there will be several of us who will make complaints if they were to consistently allow changes to members who repeatedly "press the wrong button" and don't check before submitting, and I suspect there will be some who complain if the speaker were to rule with an iron fist and never allow it; one of the seconders, can't remember which, saw it to be perfectly reasonable to allow no more than 1 per term per member, although I would hope that the two instances that I know of during my year here is a bad year and that people take the care to ensure they voted correctly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Nay if it will be enforced throughout the 4 days. I believe there should be a minimum of 1 day at the start of voting where a free vote change (though only one per MP) is permitted.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Nay if it will be enforced throughout the 4 days. I believe there should be a minimum of 1 day at the start of voting where a free vote change (though only one per MP) is permitted.
    On what basis? Nobody admits to whipping, so there isn't that issue, and people can always just wait for the whip to be issued regardless. The debate should be over so there isn't that either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If we vote on this and change our minds, can we abstain?

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    On what basis? Nobody admits to whipping, so there isn't that issue, and people can always just wait for the whip to be issued regardless. The debate should be over so there isn't that either.
    Well I'll let you know now that I do issue a whip on occasion, and with no notice as to when items will be sent to vote it is difficult to get one out in advance of the vote. Now given that 90% of the time I don't issue a whip my MPs can reasonably be expected (and indeed are encouraged) to vote as soon as possible after a bill goes to vote.

It also allows time for genuine mistakes to be corrected.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.