Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Compulsive liars Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you found someone who is a compulsive liar, would you out them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Give us a background of the situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by San pellegrino)
    Give us a background of the situation
    If it's a mental issue perhaps not, be diligent with hem. Maybe ask them politely why they do it or just help them in trying to tell the truth that way you ca improve their personality as well as help them to form better relationships with others, 'outing them' will inevitably make them distressed and perhaps lead to worse consequences.

ReputationRep:
    Someone on the same uni course as me, posts contrasting statements on different forums, here, Facebook, uni sites. Claims to be things that are clearly not true as they're different in each one, also true with grades and personal things they post. Just seems like they have to fabricate the truth really.

I suppose it isn't hurting anybody, but I just find attention seeking behaviour very irritating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Nah I wouldn't out them, but that's just because I'm a billionaire tycoon with a 14 inch penis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maz A)
    If it's a mental issue perhaps not, be diligent with hem. Maybe ask them politely why they do it or just help them in trying to tell the truth that way you ca improve their personality as well as help them to form better relationships with others, 'outing them' will inevitably make them distressed and perhaps lead to worse consequences.
    I didn't mean like a big announcement, no extenders theme tune, just a word with them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maz A)
    You should be quoting OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balthazar123)
    Someone on the same uni course as me, posts contrasting statements on different forums, here, Facebook, uni sites. Claims to be things that are clearly not true as they're different in each one, also true with grades and personal things they post. Just seems like they have to fabricate the truth really.

I suppose it isn't hurting anybody, but I just find attention seeking behaviour very irritating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But if it doesn't concern you,stay out of it or just don't talk to the person. Stop stressing yourself over nothing fam

ReputationRep:
    Not stressing, it's just a niggle !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by San pellegrino)
    You should be quoting OP
    Who is OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balthazar123)
    I didn't mean like a big announcement, no extenders theme tune, just a word with them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha lol apologies if I sounded too 'serious', but yeah a nice word with them will be sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    if its a mental health issue, no. I would try to find out the background of it all before coming to any conclusions. if the person repeatedly lied to me, then I would just end it there.
    Compulsive lying can rub off on people I feel, therefore from experience I try to keep away from them.

No - along with the fact compulsive lying often has an underlying issue, I don't see the need in shaming them like that.

If I felt it had to be dealt with, I'd try and broach the subject carefully - to be honest, though, if they lied about harmless things, I don't think I'd approach them. One of my friends has went to university and, when I go to visit, she paints a very different picture of her life previously to her friends to what actually happened - I just leave her to it. :laugh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.