Vegetarian/meat eater dating Watch

snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I just wanted to see how other people have dealt with this issue in case they've come across it.

I'm a meat eat eater. Absolutely love meat and have it with every meal and am not bad at cooking it.

Recently however I went on a date with someone who as it turned out was a vegetarian (had I known that beforehand, I probably wouldn't have asked them out). She was nice and we got along fine, but I just don't see myself dating a vegetarian. The way I see it the problem is twofold:

a) At some point if things progress I'll go to her place or she comes to mine and we'll cook something. She'll only cook stuff without meat (which I don't consider proper food) and I'll only cook stuff with meat in it (and I'm pretty good at it!) but she'll never eat it. Practically this won't just work out I'm afraid.
b) I feel that for someone to be vegetarian they have some fundamental difference in values or beliefs relative to what I adhere to.

Has anyone else been in such a situation before, if so how have you handled it?
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm a vegetarian, and I can't really imagine dating a meat eater. Sorry, I just couldn't see it working.
The feeling's mutual I suppose.
lucysteel98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by snakesnake)
I just wanted to see how other people have dealt with this issue in case they've come across it.

I'm a meat eat eater. Absolutely love meat and have it with every meal and am not bad at cooking it.

Recently however I went on a date with someone who as it turned out was a vegetarian (had I known that beforehand, I probably wouldn't have asked them out). She was nice and we got along fine, but I just don't see myself dating a vegetarian. The way I see it the problem is twofold:

a) At some point if things progress I'll go to her place or she comes to mine and we'll cook something. She'll only cook stuff without meat (which I don't consider proper food) and I'll only cook stuff with meat in it (and I'm pretty good at it!) but she'll never eat it. Practically this won't just work out I'm afraid.
b) I feel that for someone to be vegetarian they have some fundamental difference in values or beliefs relative to what I adhere to.

Has anyone else been in such a situation before, if so how have you handled it?

I'm vegan and honestly I'd never date a vegetarian or a meat eater, once you've opened your eyes to see the cruelty behind the meat and dairy industry it's very difficult to understand why anyone would eat meat or dairy. Call me radical or whatever I don't care.
So it comes down to 2 types of nonmeat eaters firstly the one who does it for animal welfare.
And the one who does it for health. So if you dated a nonmeat eater who did it for health reasons you'd probably be okay because there's no ethical debate, but for the ethical nonmeat eater it will never work, seeing a dead animal on a plate is enough to make me cry and I'm sure many other ethical vegies see it the same way.
TL;DR: Not likely to work
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lucysteel98)
I'm vegan and honestly I'd never date a vegetarian or a meat eater, once you've opened your eyes to see the cruelty behind the meat and dairy industry it's very difficult to understand why anyone would eat meat or dairy. Call me radical or whatever I don't care.
So it comes down to 2 types of nonmeat eaters firstly the one who does it for animal welfare.
And the one who does it for health. So if you dated a nonmeat eater who did it for health reasons you'd probably be okay because there's no ethical debate, but for the ethical nonmeat eater it will never work, seeing a dead animal on a plate is enough to make me cry and I'm sure many other ethical vegies see it the same way.
I know this is off-topic, and sorry to the OP, but would you really never date a vegetarian? I guess now that I think about it it's the same as a vegetarian judging a meat eater...

Just curious, are you solely against the dairy industry because of the way they treat the animals? If so, then would you drink milk if it was compassionately extracted from the cow?
Blear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As a vegetarian dating a meat eater, I think you're putting way too much importance on this.

Is it really any different than dating a picky eater/someone with a nut allergy/a gluten intolerant person?
There's more to life and relationships than what you're eating, just eat your food and let them stick to their food.
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
When you say things like that, it just makes me realize how different a vegan's (which is even more extreme than vegetarianism) views are to my own. I just wouldn't be able to be with such a person, likewise they with me as well.
hoping4Astars
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You cry when you see meat? Lol
lucysteel98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Joel 96)
I know this is off-topic, and sorry to the OP, but would you really never date a vegetarian? I guess now that I think about it it's the same as a vegetarian judging a meat eater...

Just curious, are you solely against the dairy industry because of the way they treat the animals? If so, then would you drink milk if it was compassionately extracted from the cow?
No I don't think I could unless they were open minded about being Vegan in the future. I'm completely against exploiting animals for human gain. Cows produce milk for the calves not for us humans so no I'd never drink milk or eggs. And many studies have shown links with dairy and cancer and many of my family have passed away from cancer so that's another factor.
Watch Earthlings to see how all animals are treated by humans even companies with claim to be ethical, warning it's really not for the light hearted it will change you forever.
ron_trns
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by snakesnake)
When you say things like that, it just makes me realize how different a vegan's (which is even more extreme than vegetarianism) views are to my own. I just wouldn't be able to be with such a person, likewise they with me as well.
Not every vegetarian/vegan has extreme views like that though, I'm a vegetarian and was a vegan for a bit and every girl I've been with has eaten meat. I don't give a toss, I don't like meat - simple as. It's never been a problem for me/them. The problem here is that not only does the previous poster have extreme views, you do too. Not saying that's bad or whatever but it means that you almost definitely aren't able to deal with someone who doesn't want to eat meat.

If you can't get over it (even if she's neutral in her approach), then this isn't even worth pursuing.
lucysteel98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hoping4Astars)
You cry when you see meat? Lol
It's not funny, It's disgusting. Watch earthlings and give a thought to the animals it's truly awful how we treat them and yet it's so overlooked.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is only a problem if either of you make it a problem. Honestly think you're blowing this completely out of proportion and just being awkward.
Blear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No I don't think I could unless they were open minded about being Vegan in the future. I'm completely against exploiting animals for human gain. Cows produce milk for the calves not for us humans so no I'd never drink milk or eggs. And many studies have shown links with dairy and cancer and many of my family have passed away from cancer so that's another factor.
Watch Earthlings to see how all animals are treated by humans even companies with claim to be ethical, warning it's really not for the light hearted it will change you forever.
Just curious, but how do you feel about pet chickens?
I'm assuming that you're against eggs because of the way hens are killed young to keep up the high egg production, but if you kept a pet chicken for eggs (and don't have a rooster so none of them are fertilized/useful to the hen), would you be willing to eat them?
dean01234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Joel 96)
I'm a vegetarian, and I can't really imagine dating a meat eater. Sorry, I just couldn't see it working.
The feeling's mutual I suppose.
The only issue I would have with dating a vegetarian is if they were making petty / judgemental comments when I was eating meat in front of them.

If someone kept their beliefs to them self I can't see why I wouldn't date a veggie.
lucysteel98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Blear)
I'm assuming that you're against eggs because of the way hens are killed young to keep up the high egg production, but if you kept a pet chicken for eggs (and don't have a rooster so none of them are fertilized/useful to the hen), would you be willing to eat them?
I'd certainly get pet chickens if I had room and If people are going to eat eggs I'd prefer them to get them from their pet chickens, but I personally wouldn't want to because as soon as a chicken has eggs she will sit on them waiting to hatch even if they aren't fertilised and after those eggs she will not lay any more eggs. A chickens (life goal?) is to produce offspring so when you take away the eggs she will get stressed any lay more eggs. So when taking the eggs away you exploit their need to produce offspring. And also eggs are very nutritious for chickens which they need after losing vital nutrients from laying eggs
Lagomorph
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Blear)
I'm not the person you're asking, but I just felt the need to share a different point of view.
Eggs are essentially the chicken's periods. Now, why would you keep a pet for the purpose of eating its period? That doesn't make much sense in my opinion.
lucysteel98
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lagomorph)
I'm not the person you're asking, but I just felt the need to share a different point of view.
Eggs are essentially the chicken's periods. Now, why would you keep a pet for the purpose of eating its period? That doesn't make much sense in my opinion.
The same as why you would keep a cat or a dog, for companionship, and also I'd love to keep an ex-battery hen to give them a nice last few months out of confined space the size of an Ipad. It's cruel and disgusting they all need a good home after their hard work.
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I just lost my appetite forever
We'reAllMadHere
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've cut down on the amount of meat I eat; I'm practically living on seafood and I'm doing it for the health benefits.
I wouldn't mind dating a vegetarian; their lifestyle isn't too different from my own.
I'd never date a vegan though, least of all a militant vegan; it'd cause too many problems.
Blear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh I've had this thought before. Honestly I enjoy the taste of eggs, I recognize them as food, and they're not in any way harmful to me. They may be periods but they're edible enough. Thinking of a yolk as a liquid placenta is probably a better parallel considering the function it performs for a chick, and plenty of people have eaten their placentas.
xobeauty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
People are so petty- it's what you eat now?! Religion and race now wtf you eat. Humans are too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (87)
24.37%
No (270)
75.63%

Watched Threads