Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I adopt my cousin? Watch

Announcements

I'm turning 18 soon, can I legally adopt my cousin (he's 8) and take him to uni with me when I go? not inside the uni obviously but put him in school there etc.

Would he be able to live with me in student accomodation since he'd be my son?

thank u

anybody?

ReputationRep:
    Does he not have good guardians?

(Original post by Student403)
    Does he not have good guardians?
    Yea his parents are bad esp to him

ReputationRep:
    -10/10

(Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    -10/10
    sorry?

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised you decided to type your question into a thread on TSR when you could have just googled it directly.

(Original post by insert-username)
    I'm surprised you decided to type your question into a thread on TSR when you could have just googled it directly.
    but all I the results were of people who were trying to adopt their family members because their parents had died and not because the family member was being abused...

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure to adopt him and take him away from his parents they'd have to be dead or in prison or something. You'd also have to provide and steady care and lots of help...

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by alana_p)
    Pretty sure to adopt him and take him away from his parents they'd have to be dead or in prison or something. You'd also have to provide and steady care and lots of help...
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh but they're not treating him well and are abusive to him and hes such a clever boy but it's just wasted potential
    I'm sure I can find a way, I have many younger siblings and basically raised one of them so caring, cleaning, teaching, helping etc is not a problem that's fine it would just be money but I'll work when i'm free and he'll get child benefit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh but they're not treating him well and are abusive to him and hes such a clever boy but it's just wasted potential
    I'm sure I can find a way, I have many younger siblings and basically raised one of them so caring, cleaning, teaching, helping etc is not a problem that's fine it would just be money but I'll work when i'm free and he'll get child benefit
    But you cannot take him away from this parents until youve got evidence of them being abusive then followed by a long court case. Youre young yourself, you'd need a stable home and job to adopt him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by alana_p)
    But you cannot take him away from this parents until youve got evidence of them being abusive then followed by a long court case. Youre young yourself, you'd need a stable home and job to adopt him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright maybe later then...
    I'll move out and get a part time job while studying

ReputationRep:
    Alright maybe later then...
    I'll move out and get a part time job while studying
    And as i said, the parents would have to be deemed as unfit by the big men

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No. This is called 'abduction'.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can start adopting when your 21 not sure. but you should probably go on one of those adoption sites and email them.

(Original post by Profesh)
    No. This is called 'abduction'.
    I'm not gonna steal him I'm asking if I can LEGALLY adopt him

ReputationRep:
    I'm not gonna steal him I'm asking if I can LEGALLY adopt him
    Stop being obtuse.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.