Lemey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I am in year 9 and am taking my options fairly soon, I want to get a job in software and programming etc. I play a lot of computer games and am generally fascinated by computers in general. I am not sure if I should take computing, ict or both, some say that ict is an easy A* but it has no use whereas computing will actually teach me something useful. I am a pretty smart kid who is in top set for maths and set 2 for science. My brother took ICT and he got an easy A* but he says I should take computing.
LogicalFallacy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ICT is very easy, and it should be a walk in the park for an A*. However, in this society, computer programming is becoming increasingly important. If you think you're a pretty smart kid, then I believe computing will be the better route. Do you put a lot of effort into your studies? If you do, then computing is the one for you. If you don't want to make an effort, perhaps try ICT. Best of luck!
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
computing a level is deffo for you - it's basically the first year of the Computer Science degree!

you could do both but that's long.. though if you think you can get an A* easily in ICT then do it but for CS they prefer 2 science/ maths A levels so

Comp, Maths, Further Maths or
Comp, Maths, Physics is better than
Comp, Maths, ICT

but it depends on what you think you'll do best at
better to get an A* in ICT than a B in Physics you get me?
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly if you are sure its what you want to do then might as well take both

People say ICT has no relevancy in Computer Science but it is literally the use and application of once theoretical concepts made possible by Computer Scientists,

it is dull but more relevant than something like History for example
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by z33)
computing a level is deffo for you - it's basically the first year of the Computer Science degree!

you could do both but that's long.. though if you think you can get an A* easily in ICT then do it but for CS they prefer 2 science/ maths A levels so

Comp, Maths, Further Maths or
Comp, Maths, Physics is better than
Comp, Maths, ICT

but it depends on what you think you'll do best at
better to get an A* in ICT than a B in Physics you get me?
I think the OP was asking for GCSE options
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
I think the OP was asking for GCSE options
oh whoops...
well then...

OP

if you're into programming do the computing GCSE, you could do ICT and get the A* and then do computing at A level (that's what i did) but then it'll be harder to catch up to everyone else's level then :3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (28)
18.92%
No (120)
81.08%

Watched Threads