Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ICT or Computer Studies or both Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I am in year 9 and am taking my options fairly soon, I want to get a job in software and programming etc. I play a lot of computer games and am generally fascinated by computers in general. I am not sure if I should take computing, ict or both, some say that ict is an easy A* but it has no use whereas computing will actually teach me something useful. I am a pretty smart kid who is in top set for maths and set 2 for science. My brother took ICT and he got an easy A* but he says I should take computing.

ReputationRep:
    ICT is very easy, and it should be a walk in the park for an A*. However, in this society, computer programming is becoming increasingly important. If you think you're a pretty smart kid, then I believe computing will be the better route. Do you put a lot of effort into your studies? If you do, then computing is the one for you. If you don't want to make an effort, perhaps try ICT. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    computing a level is deffo for you - it's basically the first year of the Computer Science degree!

you could do both but that's long.. though if you think you can get an A* easily in ICT then do it but for CS they prefer 2 science/ maths A levels so

Comp, Maths, Further Maths or
    Comp, Maths, Physics is better than
    Comp, Maths, ICT

but it depends on what you think you'll do best at
    better to get an A* in ICT than a B in Physics you get me?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly if you are sure its what you want to do then might as well take both

People say ICT has no relevancy in Computer Science but it is literally the use and application of once theoretical concepts made possible by Computer Scientists,

it is dull but more relevant than something like History for example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    computing a level is deffo for you - it's basically the first year of the Computer Science degree!

you could do both but that's long.. though if you think you can get an A* easily in ICT then do it but for CS they prefer 2 science/ maths A levels so

Comp, Maths, Further Maths or
    Comp, Maths, Physics is better than
    Comp, Maths, ICT

but it depends on what you think you'll do best at
    better to get an A* in ICT than a B in Physics you get me?
    I think the OP was asking for GCSE options

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    I think the OP was asking for GCSE options
    oh whoops...
    well then...

OP

if you're into programming do the computing GCSE, you could do ICT and get the A* and then do computing at A level (that's what i did) but then it'll be harder to catch up to everyone else's level then :3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.