Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I Buy This????!??? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I know nothing on technology when it comes to specifics of laptops, TV's etc I just cant get my head around it maybe it's because i'm not so interested in it. Anyways i'm in my second year of studying pharmacy and i've never owned a laptop. For uni work I either use my HP desktop at home or the computers in the library.

I want to purchase a small laptop that I can take with my to uni and the library to view my lecture slides directly on there.

I saw this on Ukhotdeals and as I admitted I know nothing (even after reading the comments lol) of whether or not this is any good. To me for the price it seems reasonable but even though its not expensive I don't want to waste my money.

Can anyone give me advice on whether or not I should buy this? I will just be using this to view power points on, type up notes, watch YouTube, online shopping. I wouldn't want to download any other software/games/movies etc. And I also wont be saving all my pictures and videos etc on here. I've got a USB which I keep all worked saved on, so basically a large storage space isn't required.

I appreciate any advice/recommendations any one can give me!!

- H

Acer ES1-131 Laptop,11.6 inch LCD display, Intel® Celeron® Processor, 2GB RAM/32GB eMMC, Windows 10, Black

Link:
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-es1...KDeals_1018132

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, the touch pad stops working on it and updates don't fix it.

You'll need 250 to get a good laptop that can actually run stuff without lagging badly. Or, you could get windows tablet, plenty of good ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    No.

For what reasons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    2GB RAM isn't that great.
    Do you have any recommendations on a good one?

ReputationRep:
    Intel® Celeron® Processor = ****

2GB RAM = TOO SMALL

32GB solid state drive = TINY

"perfect companion for work and play" Oh STFU you scammers.

Now, erm, where was I...

What's your budget ma'am?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h_y)
    For what reasons?
    A 1.6 Celeron is going to drive you crazy. 2GB RAM will really limit you, especially on the internet if you like having a few tabs open at once. 32GB SSD doesn't mean 32GB of space for you. Windows 10 is 11GB for starters. Add on system extras like sleep caches and you're going to find your system will easily become unstable when you have so little space left. Also, see there - 5.5 Hours battery life. That's what it says on the page, so don't expect anything close to that, especially if you have wifi on or the internet open or viewing videos or using the trackpad, etc etc etc. Expect closer to 3 hours. And I know you want something light and small, but 11" is a little extreme - you'd probably prefer a 13" that won't be so fiddly - 13" is the size of the small little macbooks.

ReputationRep:
    Are you set on a laptop or would you consider getting a chromebook?

Just as for what you listed as what you would use it for, I can't see why a chromebook wouldn't be a good fit. For one you can get a decent chromebook a lot cheaper than a decent laptop and they have much better battery life which is something you'll need to consider if you plan to use it at uni to type up notes for several hours at a time, because I don't know about your uni but mine is strapped for plug sockets.

As someone else said you could get a tablet, but then you have to (unless you're a quick touch typer) get a keyboard for it as well.

Edit: also yeah, the specs on that thing are ****e. That is why it's on offer, no one wants to buy it full price because it's ****e.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    A 1.6 Celeron is going to drive you crazy. 2GB RAM will really limit you, especially on the internet if you like having a few tabs open at once. 32GB SSD doesn't mean 32GB of space for you. Windows 10 is 11GB for starters. Add on system extras like sleep caches and you're going to find your system will easily become unstable when you have so little space left. Also, see there - 5.5 Hours battery life. That's what it says on the page, so don't expect anything close to that, especially if you have wifi on or the internet open or viewing videos or using the trackpad, etc etc etc. Expect closer to 3 hours. And I know you want something light and small, but 11" is a little extreme - you'd probably prefer a 13" that won't be so fiddly - 13" is the size of the small little macbooks.

Can you recommended me anything? I like macbooks but thats just more than i'm willing to spend on a laptop. Also thank you X

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend looking for something along the lines of:

i3 or i5 Processor
    4GB RAM
    500GB Drive (you don't really need SSD - I'm quite a heavy computer user and I've done just fine without one so far)
    Min. 7 hours battery life.
    Around 13"

This here is 250GB HD, but still okay specs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latit...QAAOSwoydWli1Y

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Are you set on a laptop or would you consider getting a chromebook?

Just as for what you listed as what you would use it for, I can't see why a chromebook wouldn't be a good fit. For one you can get a decent chromebook a lot cheaper than a decent laptop and they have much better battery life which is something you'll need to consider if you plan to use it at uni to type up notes for several hours at a time, because I don't know about your uni but mine is strapped for plug sockets.

As someone else said you could get a tablet, but then you have to (unless you're a quick touch typer) get a keyboard for it as well.
    Yh I don't want a tablet i'd prefer a laptop. Can you recommend me a good chromebook? I really don't know much on all this I've tried to read up on it and reviews etc but it just goes over my head it's need to be dumbed down for me massively. And thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h_y)
    Yh I don't want a tablet i'd prefer a laptop. Can you recommend me a good chromebook? I really don't know much on all this I've tried to read up on it and reviews etc but it just goes over my head it's need to be dumbed down for me massively. And thank you
    I know how you feel, I got very overwhelmed trying to decide on what to get!
    I can't give reviews on many chromebooks because I've only used a few (and honestly don't remember the specific model names). But I own the toshiba chromebook 2 (cb30-b) I think it is and it's great. By far the best thing about it is it's battery life, I never have to worry about it. The most I have gotten out of one full charge is 12 hours, but it averages at around 9-10 hours if I'm watching youtube and films. I find the screen quality brilliant, audio is pretty good as well, no worse than my old laptop (better in fact). It is a lightweight machine and since it has no moving parts it also lacks a fan and so you don't have to worry about your fan whirring and it doesn't over heat.

The drawback people often don't like about chromebooks is their memory space, and the reason they have low memory capacity is because they are designed for people who store all their files online. Which is great for me as I only use googledocs anyway. However I think some chromebooks now are Microsoft office compatible (mine might be, but since I don't use it I've not bothered to find out).

Another thing people are apprehensive about chromebooks is their slightly different keyboard, it still has the normal qwerty keyboard and numbers at the top. But some buttons that are on normal laptops such as the caps locks button are absent and replaced with keys specific to the chromebook. It can be a bit tricky at first, but it only took me about a week to get used to.

Edit: Oh I also forgot to add, my chromebook has a matte screen which I find awesome as it means it gets no glare at all if you use it outside on a sunny day or in front of a bright light or window, something which was annoying with my old laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Results)
    Intel® Celeron® Processor = ****

2GB RAM = TOO SMALL

32GB solid state drive = TINY

"perfect companion for work and play" Oh STFU you scammers.

Now, erm, where was I...

What's your budget ma'am?
    lol HI I don't want to spend too much so the cheaper the better it will be mainly for uni after i've finished I don't mind spending more on a macbook or something. £250/300 max, I don't even know how much decent laptops cost.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.