Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's it like to have friends? Watch

Announcements

As you can guess from the title, I have no friends, and I've never had any - none, at least, that I can say I've been close to in the way that the people I see around me are to their friends. Part of that is my Asperger's - and the fact that I used to have severe social anxiety - but part of it is choice as well - I'm capable of sustaining a relationship with someone and even cultivating it to a certain level, but I'm naturally a very introverted person (hence the amount of time I spend on TSR) and I don't particularly enjoy being in the company of others unless they're close family. And, for the most part, I live life happily on my own as much as I can.

But today I was kind of in a contemplative mood, and I was looking at the people around me going about their lives and interacting with their friends just as if it was second nature - and I realised that I actually had no reference point whatsoever from which I could relate to or imagine what they were doing or feeling in any way. Just out of curiosity more than anything else, I've been thinking about it for pretty much the whole evening, and even though I don't usually post in this part of the site (hence my anon-ness), I figured this was the best place to ask. So I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong subforum(or indeed if this is tl;dr lol) but what's it like to have friends? What's it like to have that level of intimacy, that level of informality with another person not part of your family? I'm genuinely curious

ReputationRep:
    It's not something you ever really think about. Ask yourself "what is it like to have a nose?" it's the same feeling.

ReputationRep:
    Gondor has no friends. Gondor needs no friends.

But honestly, it's good to have someone to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    its nice to be close to someone who isn't part of your family so you can tell them secrets or plans that you probably wont tell your family

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.