Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying History at QM and would like to do an MA or MSc at LSE (in a similar subject). I got BBB in my A-levels, will it hinder me? I'm worried it might.

ReputationRep:
    All qualifications earned matter to some extent but I think they prioritise performance in your degree more than A Levels. Of course As look better than Bs but as long as you get that 2:1 or 1st class and work your ass off you should be fine.

What uni you study at may matter also. By QM I'm assuming you mean Queen Mary? If so that is obviously a good uni and you have that covered.

If not then don't let anything deter you from getting the grade, so you can meet the requirement

Good luck!

- Ben(is)

ReputationRep:
    School qualifications are irrelevant once you get to postgrad.

It's your degree - both class and content - that will be important, along with two academic references and your PS/Research proposal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benis)
    All qualifications earned matter to some extent but I think they prioritise performance in your degree more than A Levels. Of course As look better than Bs but as long as you get that 2:1 or 1st class and work your ass off you should be fine.

What uni you study at may matter also. By QM I'm assuming you mean Queen Mary? If so that is obviously a good uni and you have that covered.

If not then don't let anything deter you from getting the grade, so you can meet the requirement

Good luck!

- Ben(is)
    This is untrue. For my postgraduate applications I wasn't even asked what I got in my A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    I did a master's and a doctorate, both funded, in a subject which I got a B in at A level. Usually no one cares and it's not unusual not to bother putting them onto postgraduate applications. The main exception is when it's an A level which helps your case, which in history might be something like you're proposing some research using archival sources in another language and you can point to the fact that you have an A level in that language.

ReputationRep:
    My PhD application required me to list all my school qualifications (A Levels: B, B, C, D) but that was the first and last time anyone cared about them during the process. When I enrolled, I only had to show my original degree and Masters certificates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mamataj)
    I'm currently studying History at QM and would like to do an MA or MSc at LSE (in a similar subject). I got BBB in my A-levels, will it hinder me? I'm worried it might.
    A-levels don't matter all that much, but it's obviously good to have high marks.

If you get really solid marks in your degree (high 2:1s and Firsts), then LSE is realistic possibility.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all. I've been filling out the form and they don't even ask for ALevels (as some of you have rightly said) so that reassures me. I'm just now concerned about my second year grades making the cut. But thank you so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.