Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Higher English Poetry help Norman MacCaig Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi could someone doing sqa cfe higher english poetry norman maccaig help me with this 10 makers questions its coming up in the prelim. How maccaig uses wry humour in his work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momo2810)
    Hi could someone doing sqa cfe higher english poetry norman maccaig help me with this 10 makers questions its coming up in the prelim. How maccaig uses wry humour in his work
    What are your poems? It all depends on that but for say 'Basking Shark', I would comment on the shark rising from the loch:
    "a thing that happened once, too often, to me"
    or for 'Assisi', the dwarf has the "advantage of not being dead yet" with the humour surrounding to the ephemeral nature of the observation.
    But really there's loads of examples on this, just make sure you know how to answer the question

ReputationRep:
    Ive only done assisi memorial and visting hour (the poem coming up) any idea

ReputationRep:
    have you got any idea for memorial and assis and visting hour?
    (Original post by Treen98)
    What are your poems? It all depends on that but for say 'Basking Shark', I would comment on the shark rising from the loch:
    "a thing that happened once, too often, to me"
    or for 'Assisi', the dwarf has the "advantage of not being dead yet" with the humour surrounding to the ephemeral nature of the observation.
    But really there's loads of examples on this, just make sure you know how to answer the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momo2810)
    have you got any idea for memorial and assis and visting hour?
    I think they'll be a bit trickier to extract humour from but see if you can but the right spin on humour as a coping mechanism employed by the persona such as the image of the vampire (can't remember the exact quote ) in Visiting Hour.
    I think I mentioned Assisi in my first post, sorry I won't be much help with Memorial as it wasn't one I looked at in a lot of depth for exams, but if you need any more I would check out a few blogs by english teachers such as Mrs Kirkwood

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.