The Student Room Group

Keep getting letters from TV Licensing!?

My flat keep getting letters from TV licensing, I've got a TV but it's just hooked up to my Xbox, there is no way to watch live TV on it and I'll watch Netflix on my laptop, but I don't watch actual TV, obviously I can't speak for the rest of the flat, but we've had 2 letters now and the 2nd one we got yesterday said we haven't responded to any letters and they're going to take legal action!?

Is this just trying to scare us or are we all screwed!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's just an attempt an attempt to scare you and they've very good at it. Think about it as if they're trying to enforce the implied contract you have with them for their services; and in that way it is no difference at all to Sky sending you a letter saying you owe them money. If they want to claim that money they think they could be owed (they don't even think you do owe them) and take you to court, they have to demonstrate to the court that you in fact do owe them money. With no declaration either way from you nor your housemates, they cannot claim a dime.
Reply 2
Original post by AdorableDrip
the 2nd one we got yesterday said we haven't responded to any letters and they're going to take legal action!?

Did it actually say that? Read the wording carefully..

Is this just trying to scare us or are we all screwed!?

Scare tactic
Reply 3
All you have to do is respond and tell them what you told us. If nobody in the flat watches live TV, then they have no grounds for legal action. But until you give them the facts, they'll carry on assuming that they do. And yes, it will get as far as court if you keep ignoring it. It's ridiculous, but if you co-operate now, you'll save a load of hassle down the line.
Reply 4
Just go here: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

Still, they aren't going to take you to court until they have some evidence that you are using a TV or other device to watch live TV.
I didn't know if I should reply or not because it's just addressed to the kitchen, but I've now declared as just my room that I only use my TV for games, so that if other people on the flat do watch TV then I'm not going to be held responsible :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Talon
Still, they aren't going to take you to court until they have some evidence that you are using a TV or other device to watch live TV.

They generally only take to court where there is a positive declaration by the occupiers that they are using live TV, or where there is a track record of non-compliance by the occupier. They aren't going to take a few students in a student house to court.
We received some of these letters. They gave up after a while I think.
I didn't know if I should reply or not because it's just addressed to the kitchen, but I've now declared as just my room that I only use my TV for games, so that if other people on the flat do watch TV then I'm not going to be held responsible :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last time I checked, each person in a shared house is responsible for their own TV in terms of licensing - back in the day when a TV License Form had to be filled out whenever a TV was purchased, if the name on the form didn't match that of the name of the TV License at the property, then they would try and chase a 2nd license fee for that TV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending