Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help!! Having to retake Litb1 Aspects of Narrative Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

I am a budding English Literature student who wishes to study the subject at a good university. I was predicted an A throughout my first year of sixth form, but came out with a C when my grade D in 'Aspects of Narrative' brought my grade down. I got an A in the coursework.

Generally, exams are my weakness at the moment. I am doing very well with my Gothic revision currently for A2, and find it so much easier than Litb1. But to get the A I so desperately want I will need to retake Litb1.

I felt let down by my teachers, who for every Litb1 essay gave me an A. I know from my script and unsuccessful remark that it was to do with my stucture and irrelevance to the questions. I literally need all the advice I can get on how to do well in this resit! I would be so grateful if anyone could help me out.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so here's some similar advice I gave to another Literature student.

Practice writing timed essays and ask your teacher to mark them in this case your teachers seem to be easy markers. You could perhaps ask another English teacher to mark them or even post your essays on student room in the English forum and get feedback this way.

If you are studying poetry you could summarise each poem briefly, for example: 'form, structure, literary devices (such as syntax, euphuism)' and list a few quotes (memorising quotes is essential especially if you have to make references between different texts in the exam.)You could always voice record yourself saying the quotes if you are having trouble.

Also, you may want to look for a tutor to help you with the exam part of the subject such as the construction of essays. YouTube videos may be a good idea to check out if you are unable to find a tutor.

Make sure you follow the criteria for A01, 2,3 and 4 as this is must for the exam.

Ps- It may be worth taking a look at previous exam papers that students have done with the essays they constructed in the real exam. The school can easily get a hold of this for you if you ask.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing the same, basically. I'm studying new texts by myself and I've found it much better!

First I take notes on how the story is told in bullet points. Then I turn it into paragraphs. It usually gives me a lot more points than I could fit into an essay, so it's also good practice for the even question and for section B. What texts are you studying? I'm doing Tennyson, Keats, The Road and Gatsby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kandykissesxox)
    Hey, so here's some similar advice I gave to another Literature student.

Practice writing timed essays and ask your teacher to mark them in this case your teachers seem to be easy markers. You could perhaps ask another English teacher to mark them or even post your essays on student room in the English forum and get feedback this way.

If you are studying poetry you could summarise each poem briefly, for example: 'form, structure, literary devices (such as syntax, euphuism)' and list a few quotes (memorising quotes is essential especially if you have to make references between different texts in the exam.)You could always voice record yourself saying the quotes if you are having trouble.

Also, you may want to look for a tutor to help you with the exam part of the subject such as the construction of essays. YouTube videos may be a good idea to check out if you are unable to find a tutor.

Make sure you follow the criteria for A01, 2,3 and 4 as this is must for the exam.

Ps- It may be worth taking a look at previous exam papers that students have done with the essays they constructed in the real exam. The school can easily get a hold of this for you if you ask.

Good luck
    How did u prepare for gatsby section A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherryblossom18)
    How did u prepare for gatsby section A?
    I never did gatsby, mine was ww1

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.