Cancer

Watch
El chapo93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Why is everyone dying of cancer and why is it so wide spread?
Straighthate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lift weights intensely
do a lot of running
get 100% of your RDA for all viamins/minerals
pray to god
El chapo93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Straighthate)
lift weights intensely
do a lot of running
get 100% of your RDA for all viamins/minerals
pray to god
God doesn't exist
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer
Savage R3N3GAD3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's God's will.
KingKoala
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cancer is a terrible thing, but I think the reason why it seems like more people are dying of it now is because Medicine has improved that much that most other illnesses can be treated and cured much more easily than cancer, therefore the number of people dying from other illnesses had decreased dramatically more than the number of people dying from cancer. Making it seem like more people are dying of Cancer.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KingKoala)
Cancer is a terrible thing, but I think the reason why it seems like more people are dying of it now is because Medicine has improved that much that most other illnesses can be treated and cured much more easily than cancer, therefore the number of people dying from other illnesses had decreased dramatically more than the number of people dying from cancer. Making it seem like more people are dying of Cancer.
That and we actually talk about it now compared to the past where it had the same kind of status of stuff like dementia now. It was scary and we didn't talk about and just shut it away. As a society we are becoming much more open to talking about scary things like cancer.
KingKoala
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
That and we actually talk about it now compared to the past where it had the same kind of status of stuff like dementia now. It was scary and we didn't talk about and just shut it away. As a society we are becoming much more open to talking about scary things like cancer.
Yes Completely, we are much more aware and willing to discuss things like Cancer, and things such as Mental health. I think this shows great progress in human nature, still some work left though.
markovchain17
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
cus we havent got a cure for it yet nd its widespread cus absolutely anyone can get it
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Actually it's not widespread. From the selfish gene's point of view, all cells "want" to replicate as much as possible. So you would expect every living thing to be riddled with cancer.

The fact that they're not is to due tumour suppressor genes, essentially all the other cells stopping the cancerous ones from spreading (while in turn being stopped themselves). It's when these suppressor genes fail that cancer spreads.

because Medicine has improved that much that most other illnesses can be treated and cured much more easily
^^This. Cancer tends to strike late in life because of the "shadow of selection" - less selection pressure in older life because reproduction has already occurred.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah but in the last few weeks we've lost Lemmy, Bowie and Alan Rickman

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingKoala
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
Yeah but in the last few weeks we've lost Lemmy, Bowie and Alan Rickman

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I know, all upsetting news. I think I was most upset by the death of Lemmy, I was fascinated by that man I thought he could never die (Plus he had the same birthday as me) :cry2:
Zweihander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=chazwomaq;62020853]
^^This. Cancer tends to strike late in life because of the "shadow of selection" - less selection pressure in older life because reproduction has already occurred.[/QUOTE

Not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain in plain english please

Posted from TSR Mobile
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because we're not dying of all the other things that killed people in the past at the same rate so people stop dying of those diseases but they will still die of something, and our treatments for cancer while good and MUCH better than they were even a decade ago aren't as good as our treatments for many other diseases. Hence why cancer appears to be rising as a cause of death.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I know, all upsetting news. I think I was most upset by the death of Lemmy, I was fascinated by that man I thought he could never die (Plus he had the same birthday as me) :cry2:
I know and now I'll never hear ace of spades live

Posted from TSR Mobile
Little Popcorns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's a recent virus that hones in on damaged tissues and tries to repair them at any cost. Yes I know this is cancer in general but the recent rise in cancer is induced by a virus I believe that actually operates in the body like a cancer. Rather than the cancer itself trying to repair tissue damage at any cost it's the virus and in the face of it there's no other label without a mass scare other than... They died of cancer.

Just my/one theory.

Edit: I think what I've said coupled with the rise of antibiotic resistant infections means people are falling like flies.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably because a lot of people in the western world smoke, drink a lot, are overweight and tend not to exercise or eat good food

I hope an effective oncolytic virus gets developed soon
Little Popcorns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Read my reply above yours, I think this is what might have happened but the virus has gone wrong and actually if focuses on tissue damage and as a result a lot of people who have cell damage but not necessarily deadly cancers are going down with the virus because it's powering through their body and the repair is happening too quickly.
JMorty97
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This!

Probably the easiest way to reduce lifetime risk of cancer is to reduce alcohol intake, stop smoking, eat better and move more.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Little Popcorns)
Read my reply above yours, I think this is what might have happened but the virus has gone wrong and actually if focuses on tissue damage and as a result a lot of people who have cell damage but not necessarily deadly cancers are going down with the virus because it's powering through their body and the repair is happening too quickly.
Many doctors in the 50's noted that sometimes cancer patients got better from cancer after a viral infection of some sort; probably because virus preferably target cancerous cells to destroy and breed in. I have no idea what you re talking about with this 'repair' virus; I'm talking about virus that could be targeted to only destroy cancerous cells which I believe are being worked on
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
56.92%
I don't have everything I need (193)
43.08%

Watched Threads