Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help please... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i graduated with a Business and Human Resource degree a few months ago..but i really want to go into marketing.. i was thinking if this was still possible as marketing was one of the modules i did in my degree... but wont retailers ask why i chose to focus more on the HR sector in my degree?

ReputationRep:
    If you're planning on applying for entry-level jobs in Marketing this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I would definitely recommend you to build up on you marketing knowledge, which will set you apart from the rest! Prove to them how much you want it, how well do you know the industry? Who are the leaders and innovators? Which brands do you feel need help and how would you do it - you could do a case study and send that off with your CV. Knowledge is power.

If possible do you best to get an internship so that you have some practical experience, which will help you too!

GOOD LUCK x

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much, its not essential to have a marketing degree for a marketing job.

I agree with Dior Dediako, it would be a good idea to be as proactive as possible on improving your marketing knowledge/skills. Firstly, I would re-write your CV to be as marketing focused as possible. Concentrate on marketing focused skills and activities. Additionally, investigate further ways of employing your employability as a marketer. This could include: additional studying with the Charterd Institute of Marketing, write a marketing blog, online marketing freelance work, maybe start a business etc.

One more thing. I find employers like it when you tell a bit of a story in your interview. I didnt do great in my A levels, so in an interview, I spun it as a "i wasnt enjoying school but then found my passion for marketing and now im super keen and everything has changed", and they liked it. Maybe talk about how "I wanted to broaden my experience at first to learn about the broader context of businesses and how they work, but now I have discovered my passion for marketing and want to gain as much experience as I can in this field" etc etc. Just come across determined.

but tbh, as long as you can demonstrate your pretty switched on, did okay academically, and have some industry relevant experience, getting an entry level/graduate at job in marketing shouldn't be too much of a struggle.

Source: I've done some student recruitment recently, interviewed a lot of students.
    Check out my some student advice stuff i've written for milkround here.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.