Turn on thread page Beta

Observer's 100 Greatest British albums watch

ReputationRep:
    And its not the Beatles...
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/0...033618,00.html

Very pleased to see Teenage Fanclub's Grand Prix in there.
    Comments? Obviously not everyone'll agree, and its a bit prejudiced towards the 70s imho.

ReputationRep:
    What are The Streets doing in there?! And Kate Bush?! Lol...they've biased it a lot towards the rock and roll bands of the 70's really, not much, if any, recent stuff in there. I suppose they think bands don't make good albums anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    What are The Streets doing in there?! And Kate Bush?! Lol...they've biased it a lot towards the rock and roll bands of the 70's really, not much, if any, recent stuff in there. I suppose they think bands don't make good albums anymore.
    They've got 3 from the 2000s, 15 from the 90s, 20 from the 80s, 18 from the 60s, and the rest are all from the 70s...
    It was voted for by 100 different musicians/journalists/broadcasters/industry people apparently.

ReputationRep:
    There is two Joy Divison albums on there, it seems very much like the NME polls to me.

It could have been a lot worse though, imagine if the Spice Girls were number one followed by Take That!

It's a piece of crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    At least Edith Bowman's choices are more modern http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/s...241220,00.html

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is..I ****ing hate Stone Roses.

ReputationRep:
    How can one of the most influential and successful bands of all time, Led Zeppelin, only get in at 40!? I know they were more a concert-based band and didn't do many Cd's but their albums are still better than most of those listed there.

And where are Queen?! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    How can one of the most influential and successful bands of all time, Led Zeppelin, only get in at 40!? I know they were more a concert-based band and didn't do many Cd's but their albums are still better than most of those listed there.

Exactly! To leave out A Night At The Opera is a crime!
    It's not quite as bad as the list which put an Oasis album as No 1 though >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)

Same here! Even though three of their albums ( I think ) made it in the top 100, they should've gone in higher. I was expecting one in the top 10 at least
    Queen..well, I never liked them, so I don't care much :P

Really, stone ****ing roses, what were they thinking?

*puts on The Immigrant Song*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    Queen..well, I never liked them, so I don't care much :P
    What don't you like about Queen? :confused: Lol be careful now you're talking to one of their biggest fans on the board...

ReputationRep:
    Umm...dunno really. Their songs are good, and I like their riffs and stuff. But I just feel they're extraordinarly overrated. And I hate about 1/3 of Bohemian Rhapsody with a burning passion, which sadly ruins the rest of the song for me. I don't get the deal with Freddie Mercury either.

ReputationRep:
    Umm...dunno really. Their songs are good, and I like their riffs and stuff. But I just feel they're extraordinarly overrated. And I hate about 1/3 of Bohemian Rhapsody with a burning passion, which sadly ruins the rest of the song for me. I don't get the deal with Freddie Mercury either.
    I guess it's just one of those songs you either love or hate, partly because its an epic yet overplayed (I will admit that lol) but they did do much better songs that were hardly recognised. I guess Freddie Mercury helped bring more attention to the AIDS cause and he's just a legend really. Like Kurt Cobain is known best for the way he died, so is Freddie.

ReputationRep:
    The Stone Roses is a fantastic album, but there is no way I would rate it as the best ever British album. There's a few surprises (Gang Of Four, The Slits) but not many...bog standard list really...

At least no Queen albums made the cut...

*dodges knives and bricks*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    I guess it's just one of those songs you either love or hate, partly because its an epic yet overplayed (I will admit that lol) but they did do much better songs that were hardly recognised. I guess Freddie Mercury helped bring more attention to the AIDS cause and he's just a legend really. Like Kurt Cobain is known best for the way he died, so is Freddie.

True true. Coincidentally, I hate Nirvana too haha. They seem overrated( hmm..sounds familiar) They're not THAT good are they?
    I'm not some sort of music elitist, I don't dislike a band for the sole reason that they are overrated, or if lots of people like the, Obviously if they're good in the first place, I'll like them, but if they're not, and people keep going on about them, I just end up hating the band more.

Oh yeah, how a Smiths album managed to evade the top ten is completely beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, how a Smiths album managed to evade the top ten is completely beyond me.
    What I don't understand is how Their self titled album is ranked higher then Meat is Murder and The Queen is Dead...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    What I don't understand is how Their self titled album is ranked higher then Meat is Murder and The Queen is Dead...
    Hehe, did you see what Morrissey put for his vote?

Morrissey
    1. For Your Pleasure Roxy Music*
    (*Morrissey claims he can only think of one truly great British album and that this is it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    At least no Queen albums made the cut...

*dodges knives and bricks*
    Arghhh!
    I don't like Nirvana either, and I think Kelly Jones' list is much more agreeable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Hehe, did you see what Morrissey put for his vote?

Morrissey
    1. For Your Pleasure Roxy Music*
    (*Morrissey claims he can only think of one truly great British album and that this is it)
    I hate Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry - my mum loves him and its all she ever plays!

Oh, and Morrissey is a <insert expletive insult here>.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    Arghhh!
    I don't like Nirvana either, and I think Kelly Jones' list is much more agreeable.
    I have to say I found myself agreeing with Kelly Jones a lot, despite me thinking he's a bit of a tw*t. Although I don't think Phantom Power is the Super Furries' best - I'd have put Radiator or Rings Around the World.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.