Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im going to apply for accommodation in Ffern penglais however im unsure as to whether I go for a studio or in shared housing.
    The studio really appeals to me, however I worry that with being on my own would it be much harder to make friends than it is with living with others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HorseyHayley)
    Im going to apply for accommodation in Ffern penglais however im unsure as to whether I go for a studio or in shared housing.
    The studio really appeals to me, however I worry that with being on my own would it be much harder to make friends than it is with living with others?
    If you're going to one of the applicant days, ask someone there. I have the same question and the same reasoning, and if I get to look around both rooms I'll be able to make an educated decision.

ReputationRep:
    I shall be asking the question. But after much thought, For me, I dont think making friends will be too much a problem as I plan to get involved with a few of the clubs and societys.

ReputationRep:
    I shall be asking the question. But after much thought, For me, I dont think making friends will be too much a problem as I plan to get involved with a few of the clubs and societys.
    That's what I'm hoping to do too

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it depends on whether you'd be happy in your own company when your at home, doing assignments etc. I've lived in Rosser and PJM while at uni, and will be living in PJM again in september, I'm rarely in my house between having my horse at uni, working 20 hours a week, and lectures, but it's nice that when i am sat studying, last minute assignment writing it's likely one of my flatmates is too and i know if i walked into the kitchen to make a cup of tea, i'd have someone to chat to for ten mins to chill if i wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    This is another thing im not sure about. I enjoy my own company to an extent but there are times I like people to be there. Id much rather be on my own to do assignments otherwise I get distracted but I think I might need people around to keep me sane when it gets stressfull! Haha.

ReputationRep:
    This is another thing im not sure about. I enjoy my own company to an extent but there are times I like people to be there. Id much rather be on my own to do assignments otherwise I get distracted but I think I might need people around to keep me sane when it gets stressfull! Haha.
    I'd go for shared accomadation, at the end of the day the accommadation office are more likely to have empty studios than empty shared spaces, so if after a month of so you don't like it you could easily move

Also a big part of freshers week is going out with people in your flat, you couldn't do that in a studio flat really without meeting people, i'd hate to miss out on freshers week, was the best week of my uni experience tbh even as a 3rd year i enjoy freshers week

ReputationRep:
    Are couples allowed to live in the studios?

ReputationRep:
    I am not from the U.K., so I have a question: is the price of FP studios reasonable, or is it actually overpriced? It seems like a lot to me but that's probably because apartments in my home town are generally a lot cheaper. Opinions? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BearBluebear)
    I am not from the U.K., so I have a question: is the price of FP studios reasonable, or is it actually overpriced? It seems like a lot to me but that's probably because apartments in my home town are generally a lot cheaper. Opinions? Thanks
    Accommodation around unis is usually overpriced relative to non-student areas; partly because students are notoriously awful tenants, and also partly because landlords know they can get away with it. (but the former argument does kinda justify it, because students can be horrible tenants)

So yeah, Fferm Penglais apartments are about average for student accomodation. Overpriced relative to private apartments in non-student-focused rural areas, but quite reasonable relative to average student accommodation prices.

Oh, and accommodation here generally may well be more expensive than accommodation where you're from, because the UK's housing market is a mess.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.