?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/8987212
Nununu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Suprised The huffington post is saying this.

Edit: I don't care about the heritage of the accused, reactionaries this thread is not for you.
Betelgeuse-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep we do. This problem has been here for far too long unaddressed
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
100% agree.
TheArtofProtest
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In rape cases, there should be complete anonymity for both the victim and accused, unless waived by either the accused or the victim.

Those convicted of false rape allegations should similarly be given anonymity.
llys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes. I do not understand why this is not already the case. When newspapers report about murder, they usually give a suspect anonymity until he is charged, don't they? I don't know the law behind this but it seems to me murder articles usually just say things like a "41-year old man was arrested" - no names until it is at trial.

Oh, I just saw this is about anonymity when it's already at trial - ok then, one should simply grant (media) anonymity for all accused until they are actually convicted. NB It is difficult to grant complete anonymity unless you make courtrooms no-access like family courts where nobody knows what is happening. I think that is open to abuse.

There is also another thing - in England people are only found "guilty" or "not guilty" (not enough evidence). Whereas I think in Scotland, you can actually be found "innocent".
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the penalties for false rape allegations should match those for rape.
abruiseonthesky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Completely agree.
abruiseonthesky
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
the penalties for false rape allegations should match those for rape.
How do you prove it's a false accusation though? I mean if the accused has solid alibis etc. then fair enough but what if it's just an acquittal due to lack of evidence, not conclusive proof of innocence if that makes sense?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abruiseonthesky)
How do you prove it's a false accusation though? I mean if the accused has solid alibis etc. then fair enough but what if it's just an acquittal due to lack of evidence, not conclusive proof of innocence if that makes sense?
innocence is assumed, guilt has to be proven. cases such as this demand proper punishment:

http://www.cotwa.info/2013/02/woman-...pe-claims.html

16 months for 11 false rape claims is a ****ing joke.
abruiseonthesky
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
innocence is assumed, guilt has to be proven. cases such as this demand proper punishment:

16 months for 11 false rape claims is a ****ing joke.
Yes, but that means the guilt of the accuser has to be proven too, e.g. I knew I didn't have enough proof for even an investigation; does that mean any report I may have made is automatically false? No. That was my point - how do you prove it's false?
Nununu
Rep:
?
(Original post by llys)
Yes. I do not understand why this is not already the case. When newspapers report about murder, they usually give a suspect anonymity until he is charged, don't they? I don't know the law behind this but it seems to me murder articles usually just say things like a "41-year old man was arrested" - no names until it is at trial.

Oh, I just saw this is about anonymity when it's already at trial - ok then, one should simply grant (media) anonymity for all accused until they are actually convicted. NB It is difficult to grant complete anonymity unless you make courtrooms no-access like family courts where nobody knows what is happening. I think that is open to abuse.

There is also another thing - in England people are only found "guilty" or "not guilty" (not enough evidence). Whereas I think in Scotland, you can actually be found "innocent".
I thought it was not guilty, guilty or not proven, in Scotland, I didn't know you can find someone " innocent'. What a silly country, lol.
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think this should be standard for all crimes, unless it is in serious public interest. Specifically where corruption may be a factor in whether they are convicted or not.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, but that means the guilt of the accuser has to be proven too, e.g. I knew I didn't have enough proof for even an investigation; does that mean any report I may have made is automatically false? No. That was my point - how do you prove it's false?
if someone is raped then they should report it. if they were not raped they should not report it.
abruiseonthesky
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if someone is raped then they should report it. if they were not raped they should not report it.
That's not what I'm saying. That's a given. What I'm asking is, how do you know/prove an accusation's fake?
llys
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nununu)
I thought it was not guilty, guilty or not proven, in Scotland, I didn't know you can find someone " innocent'. What a silly country, lol.
Oh, you are right. I must have misread something. Still, I guess then "not guilty" in their case would actually mean innocent.
hoping4Astars
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I think they should be allowed to remain anonymous until convicted of the crime.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's not what I'm saying. That's a given. What I'm asking is, how do you know/prove an accusation's fake?
it is very difficult if sexual activity took place... She says "he raped me"... He says "it was consensual".
at the moment with the anonymity given to the complainant false accusations are a simple weapon for devious people to cause misery.

Nununu
Rep:
?
(Original post by llys)
Oh, you are right. I must have misread something. Still, I guess then "not guilty" in their case would actually mean innocent.
Not guilty =/= innocent.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nununu)
Not guilty =/= innocent.
In England. In Scotland, "not guilty" = innocent, because they also have "not proven" which is basically the English "not guilty".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (133)
61.29%
I don't have everything I need (84)
38.71%

Watched Threads