Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

National Citizen Service Question? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Should I do it really? I'm super super anxious and shy and nervous when it comes to meeting new people to start off with. A friend offered to do it with me which also worries me haha as we're not super close. Also, during the 2 weeks staying away from home, what do you eat there (first week the countryside I believe?) and the second a University campus? I'm super fussy regarding food and when I say fussy i mean really fussy like I don't eat 'adult meals' which also makes me not want to do it since I'll worry about just not eating enough.

Not going to lie, the only reasons I want to do it is to meet new people so the transition to college isn't as hard and it'll make me be more confident.

Pretty much what i'm asking is, from everything I've stated here, would I be okay doing it if that makes sense/your opinions? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clearist)
    I'm super super anxious and shy and nervous when it comes to meeting new people to start off with.
    A friend offered to do it with me

Not going to lie, the only reasons I want to do it is to meet new people so the transition to college isn't as hard and it'll make me be more confident.
    It's likely you're talking about the one that happens in the summer, that's the one with university accomodation. I didn't do that one, but I can still provide you with my opinions of it.

Honestly, for your reason, you should definitely do it. They always advertise them things like 'looks good on CV' or 'builds interpersonal skills' etc, honestly, I only learnt how easy it was to communicate and talk to people.

You're anxious, you're shy, you're nervous, and this is why you should do it; to get rid of all those negative feelings. You'll find that you can interact with people much more comfortably and how to communicate with people of your own age so that in the future, (like when you go to college, or get a job) you'll feel far more confident. It's just a personal skill all people should have really.

Your friend is going with you which is good. In the very unlikely event that you get left out, you have your friend to accompany you and even act as a gateway between you and some potential friends.
    NCS is a pretty good starting position of what it's like being more independent and getting into the world.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.