Turn on thread page Beta

AEAs watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ok, i know what they are...but do you do them in year 12, so that unis know what you got???
    Also, could i possibly get a sample/past paper??? I can't seem to find anything online :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_girl)
    ok, i know what they are...but do you do them in year 12, so that unis know what you got???
    Also, could i possibly get a sample/past paper??? I can't seem to find anything online :confused:
    From what i understand they're done in the upper sixth after the A-level exam period. What subject are you thinking of doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mongoose)
    From what i understand they're done in the upper sixth after the A-level exam period. What subject are you thinking of doing?
    in the upper sixth....? so how will unis find out what you got...?
    im thinking of doing biology and chemistry...

im thinking of doing biology and chemistry...
    they find out the same way they find out your A level results.

oh and iirc bio and chem are both AQA and papers etc definitely are available on their website. bUt ill let you look!

rosie

ReputationRep:
    They will find out your AEA results along with your A2 results, but for obvious reasons (i.e. you won't have done them!) they don't know the results before they make their offers/rejections.

Their use is that if you miss a grade they are supposed to be very helpful (some unis even include them in alternative offers), and if you're applying post-A-level. Also it's something extra to put on your CV, good for personal satisfaction and to provide a challenge for people who aren't going to find it difficult to get an A grade in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Umm...I just found info about it on the AQA site...not papers... :confused:
    So unis know whether or not you're going to do one, but they don't know the result until after they've given you a place(or rejected you!)...so what's the point?...hmmm...should I do one?

Umm...I just found info about it on the AQA site...not papers... :confused:
    So unis know whether or not you're going to do one, but they don't know the result until after they've given you a place(or rejected you!)...so what's the point?...hmmm...should I do one?
    they definitely used to have papers. you have already been told reasons for doing them. do them if you want to. rosie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    they definitely used to have papers. you have already been told reasons for doing them. do them if you want to. rosie.
    ok...umm unis know if you failed it, for example? Have you done any AEAs, rosie?
    is it unlikely for people not to get merit or distinction if they're predicted an A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    They will find out your AEA results along with your A2 results, but for obvious reasons (i.e. you won't have done them!) they don't know the results before they make their offers/rejections.

Their use is that if you miss a grade they are supposed to be very helpful (some unis even include them in alternative offers), and if you're applying post-A-level. Also it's something extra to put on your CV, good for personal satisfaction and to provide a challenge for people who aren't going to find it difficult to get an A grade in the subject.
    i thought that the only main requirement of AEAs (other than personal satisfaction) is that some of the courses ask certain candidates to do AEAs in certain subjects. because in the end of the day, if you want to show you know a specific subject really well, you just need to get above say 590 in the alevel, surely that should be enough to show unis (other than oxbridge) that u are capable of doing the course

ReputationRep:
    AQA AEA papers are deff on the AQA website!!!

I was thinking of doin Biology AEA this year, but i don't know of any exam centre which provides them near me, and it looks REALLY hard. With essy questions like " Expalin human cloning"- good luck to, that all i can say!!!

ReputationRep:
    I've looked at the AEA paper for maths and its pretty darn hard!

I'm doing it on 2nd July, bit odd as i'm doing OCR maths A level and Edexcel AEA but i'm sure both boards cover the same topics.

The AEA's require you to think rather than just churn out info, but if you don't think you're capable of passing it, don't say you're taking it on your personal statement, because although it may get you more credibility, the uni's offer may very well include a merit/distinction in the AEA, which is just extra pressure.

ok...umm unis know if you failed it, for example? Have you done any AEAs, rosie?
    is it unlikely for people not to get merit or distinction if they're predicted an A?
    er. why would you care if unis know if you fail it?
    I'm doing 2 at the end of this month.
    yes relatively few people get merit/distinction of those who take it and few people take aeas who are not predicted high grades in that subject

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    yes relatively few people get merit/distinction of those who take it and few people take aeas who are not predicted high grades in that subject

rosie
    why would i care if unis know if i fail it?! doesn't it matter???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

rosie
    which ones are you doing?

why would i care if unis know if i fail it?! doesn't it matter???
    no why would it matter

im doing biology & chemistry

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    no why would it matter

im doing biology & chemistry

rosie
    oh, those are the ones i want to do...let me know how it goes for you...good luck!
    don't unis mind if you fail?!

to explain it, on reflection:

You do them AFTER you get your offers

Unless you tell them specifically you are definitely doing AEAs they can't include them in your offer (this is very unusual anyway - afaik only unis like Oxbridge do this and for the most part only as alternate offers)

So if you fail (which is likely) but meet the rest of your offer they have to let you in.

Rosie

oh, those are the ones i want to do...let me know how it goes for you...good luck!
    don't unis mind if you fail?!
    no, as long as you meet your offer. they are VERY hard exams to do well in which unis know. As long as you meet your offer, they HAVE to let you in.

It's like some people I know are doing 4 A levels. If their offer is AAA, they can fail the 4th subject and the uni still has to let them in.

Rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    to explain it, on reflection:

You do them AFTER you get your offers

Unless you tell them specifically you are definitely doing AEAs they can't include them in your offer (this is very unusual anyway - afaik only unis like Oxbridge do this and for the most part only as alternate offers)

So if you fail (which is likely) but meet the rest of your offer they have to let you in.

Rosie
    so loads of people fail???
    Rosie, you've got an offer, right?...So why are you doing it? (and was it included in your offer?)

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.