The Student Room Group

English language requirement, IELTS and insurance

Hello,

I am an international student whose first language is not English.
I am going to firm Cambridge and they did not ask for IELTS but I think I will make Durham or Edinburgh my insurance, offers from which include IELTS. I really don't want to take it because it's not cheap and it is an extra work on top of my 4 A levels and EPQ.

If I miss my A level grades for Cambridge and meet the condition of my insurance apart from IELTS, would they reject me on that basis given that I have an A in CIE IGCSE English first language? I find it a little weird three universities did not ask for IELTS whilst the other two did. I do not want to risk having nowhere to go in August for being parsimonious and lazy but I also find it very silly to pay like 200 euros for a test and add even more work and pressure only for my insurance.

There is an option of insuring Bristol which does not say anything about English requirement in the offer, but I would prefer to go to Durham or Edinburgh. This is such a dilemma - any advice appreciated.

Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Phone them on Monday and check, or double check on the Uni website - most Unis will accept IGCSE and IB Middle Years etc grades instead of IELTS, but you need to check this carefully - because if its only IELTS they will accept, yes they will reject you without it.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Phone them on Monday and check, or double check on the Uni website - most Unis will accept IGCSE and IB Middle Years etc grades instead of IELTS, but you need to check this carefully - because if its only IELTS they will accept, yes they will reject you without it.

Thanks for the reply.

On Track, Durham says "Pass at IELTS with overall band score of 6.5 (no element below 6) or University equivalent. English Language results to be achieved no later than 31 July 2016." and their website says "e. Cambridge IGCSE First Language English at Grade C or above [not normally acceptable for students who require a Tier 4 student visa]" which is confusing
Edinburgh accepts my IGCSE English but says "We also require the Supplementary Certifying Statement for CEFR. An application form to apply for the Certifying Statement can be downloaded from the Cambridge International Examinations website: http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-secondary-2/cambridge-igcse/recognition/" which is again very expensive.

I think as you say I should contact them for clarification....:colonhash:
Reply 3
Hi! I have the same problem, I firmed Cambridge offer last week, but there is nothing about IELTS in my offer even though I'm sure they know that I don't have GCSEs. I've been in UK for the past 5 years. Do you think they don't require IELTS cause they already know based on interview and AS grades that we are able to study in English without any problems? Or is this a mistake and I should email them? Not that I'm very keen to do IELTS, every sitting cost £150 and even if your English is fluent, passing writing on 7.0 or above is hard.
Original post by snuvisol
Hi! I have the same problem, I firmed Cambridge offer last week, but there is nothing about IELTS in my offer even though I'm sure they know that I don't have GCSEs. I've been in UK for the past 5 years. Do you think they don't require IELTS cause they already know based on interview and AS grades that we are able to study in English without any problems? Or is this a mistake and I should email them? Not that I'm very keen to do IELTS, every sitting cost £150 and even if your English is fluent, passing writing on 7.0 or above is hard.

ALWAYS check this sort of detail if you are not sure. Its likely that they have taken your UK schooling/results as evidence of English Language ability, but you don't want any suprises on Results Day. Email them and double check.
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
ALWAYS check this sort of detail if you are not sure. Its likely that they have taken your UK schooling/results as evidence of English Language ability, but you don't want any suprises on Results Day. Email them and double check.

Yea Your're right. I'll email them. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest