Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hess's law Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi anyone know an easy and none confusing way of constructing a Hess cycle for standard enthalpy of formation and standard enthalpy of combustion reactions? I am studying it at school but am really confused on the whole use of the arrows and how to get a final answer for the enthalpy of the reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logic4Life)
    Hi anyone know an easy and none confusing way of constructing a Hess cycle for standard enthalpy of formation and standard enthalpy of combustion reactions? I am studying it at school but am really confused on the whole use of the arrows and how to get a final answer for the enthalpy of the reaction.
    I go with clockwise = anti-clockwise when I teach it. Usually goes down well with the learners.

ReputationRep:
    Aww cycles are confusing! Just remember these equations:

Standard Enthalpy of Formation= Sum of products-Sum of reactants.

Standard Enthalpy of Combustion= Sum of reactants-Sum of products.
    CRP (almost like crap; combustion, reactants, products)

Mean Bond Enthalpy= Sum of bonds broken- Sum of bonds made.
    BBBM (almost like BBM as in Blackberry Messenger)

I know it's silly but some people find this helpful.

Oh and please assume that all reactants and products in my equations are in their standard states and under standard conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Mimi97)
    Aww cycles are confusing! Just remember these equations:

Standard Enthalpy of Formation= Sum of products-Sum of reactants.

Standard Enthalpy of Combustion= Sum of reactants-Sum of products.
    CRP (almost like crap; combustion, reactants, products)

Mean Bond Enthalpy= Sum of bonds broken- Sum of bonds made.
    BBBM (almost like BBM as in Blackberry Messenger)

I know it's silly but some people find this helpful.

Oh and please assume that all reactants and products in my equations are in their standard states and under standard conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it not necessary to know the triangle/diagram way of figuring it out- even for A2? Can I just memorise those things? ^
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChronicBoredom)
    Is it not necessary to know the triangle/diagram way of figuring it out- even for A2? Can I just memorise those things? ^
    Don't recommend trying to memorise equations without some logic behind it. Check out this interactive on Hess's law

(Original post by charco)
    Don't recommend trying to memorise equations without some logic behind it. Check out this interactive on Hess's law
    It's not that, I just don't like having to draw out the whole cycle. Will I lose marks if I don't draw the whole cycle?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChronicBoredom)
    It's not that, I just don't like having to draw out the whole cycle. Will I lose marks if I don't draw the whole cycle?
    If the question asks you to draw the cycle, then yes.

(Original post by charco)
    If the question asks you to draw the cycle, then yes.
    lol ok, thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.