EternalKiss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
At my school, we have been told that every Friday in History we have to hand in a folder to show what revision we have done. I really don't know what i'm supposed to do, i don't know what kind of things i can give her to to show what revision i'm doing and i really don't know how i'm supposed to revise tbh. Im doing Medicine through time (which im studying now) and the rise of Hitler (which we start studying in year 11). Would anyone be able to give me any ideas? Also i'm a visual learner, if that helps.

In addition, i also need help in Maths xD i feel like im not going to pass my maths GCSE. My last assessment i got an E (however i didn't revise, because i really don't know how to revise for Maths) my target is a C, but i want to do better than that and i just dont know how i can get better. I mean, i seem good at the stuff in the actual lesson, its just when it comes to the exams i cant do the stuff i have been taught. Would anyone be able to help me on this too?
Gingerbread101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EternalKiss)
At my school, we have been told that every Friday in History we have to hand in a folder to show what revision we have done. I really don't know what i'm supposed to do, i don't know what kind of things i can give her to to show what revision i'm doing and i really don't know how i'm supposed to revise tbh. Im doing Medicine through time (which im studying now) and the rise of Hitler (which we start studying in year 11). Would anyone be able to give me any ideas? Also i'm a visual learner, if that helps.
You could do a mind map for each topic, or a set of flash cards condensing notes is also good revision

In addition, i also need help in Maths xD i feel like im not going to pass my maths GCSE. My last assessment i got an E (however i didn't revise, because i really don't know how to revise for Maths) my target is a C, but i want to do better than that and i just dont know how i can get better. I mean, i seem good at the stuff in the actual lesson, its just when it comes to the exams i cant do the stuff i have been taught. Would anyone be able to help me on this too?
The only way to learn maths is to practice really - keep doing exercises from the textbook and as you get into the swing of it, make sure you can't see your notes. Then go onto practice papers and do the same at home
Jamdroid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For medicine through time (I studied this too) you can draw mind-maps of key points and eras.

For example, a branch to Hypocrates and the 4 humours, branching to Galen and his live pig demonstration.
Another example would be the 'industrial revolution' - cow pox, the boy called James who got injected with it etc. linking to germ theory, linking to hygiene and so on (I apologise for not being descriptive but I haven't done this in a while!).

Once you start it's easy just to lose yourself.
You can do a mind map for each era to hand in for each week, and just repeat them when you run out.

Alternatively planning an exam response to a past paper question would pass as a suitable revision method.
lulucoco98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey there!!!
I did my GCSEs 2 years ago and would be happy to share some of my advice

For maths, I have dyscalculia- so it was a huge struggle for me. First find out what paper you are entered into, (higher or foundation) then obviously begin revising. For whatever reason I did the higher paper - and revised completely of maths watch - where the lady goes through every topic in such a clear manner. Mathswatch is a CD, just loads of videos of every topic, so it is quite visual for you. Because I struggled to apprehend the higher grade topics I only revised the C grade stuff and got a C in the GCSE maths paper. ( maths watch was given to me by the school, your school might have one, if not YouTube tutorials are amaze) I'm keeping the visual learner in mind

For history, I would recommend using the YouTube channel called revisegcsehistory. The guy is literally amazing and goes through the medicine and American west topics according to the edexcel spec I think- I think I would owe him my A in the medicine paper- so take a look. His great. If you have time you can look at the notes and stuff he takes and try to make your own- using mind maps or whatever helps. Also, practice some of the questions!! And get your teacher to take a look.

I hope I helped and good luck
Jamdroid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As for Maths, the best way I find (I am currently doing A-Level Maths) to revise is practice papers. For GCSE, it's just about knowing your Sine and Cosine rules and knowing how to work out areas of circles and triangles.

To start with, the best course of action is to dive into a paper and find out where you struggle the most, struggle a little, and fly through. Do certain questions on those you don't understand and ask your teacher if you really don't understand it; there's no shame in doing so, your teacher wants you to do well!
Next up, do topic by topic until it makes sense - then do another paper. Focus on those areas (do more practice questions on the topics if need be). After you've exhausted your practice questions do paper after paper - space this out so you don't run out of juice / papers until the day of the exam (I'd recommend doing a paper in the morning before your exam to 'get in the zone').

Best of luck! Maths is a beautiful subject, and you are definitely able to get better than a C if you are up for it.
I hope I helped in both my posts.
ihatePE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
um just give her your exercise book and say you read them to revise. i revise by reading so if she dont believe then tell her theres nothing you can do
gizemyilmaz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Everyone has a different way of revising and not all works for everyone. I suggest you try out a variety of revision techniques until you find the one that works for you. For example for gcse history I revise using flash cards by writing a question on one side and the summarised answer on the other. Mind maps do help a lot for more bigger contents. Personally Colour coding my revision helps me memorising so it might help you.
Hope this helps!
IttsmeAA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

For revising in History, you could use flashcards; either for quick notes or a question and answer kind of thing for yourself. Mindmaps/bubblemaps may be another good one, its visual and to the point. Also, watching videos may be helpful to revise, take in what they tell you.

For maths, practise! Literally, it helps! Hahah, you could do practice questions on each topic of maths to fully get the hang of it and practice, and then do past exam papers to apply the methods in different forms.
Hope I helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads