Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have received an offer from Southampton to study economics and finance and I am considering fiirming the offer. I would really appreciate any responses about the university and the surrounding area.
    Thanks in Advanvce

ReputationRep:
    I saw you post on the exeter forum too ahaha :') I have an offer from southampton and exeter too! Not been to exeter but will go for a offer holder day but i've visited southampton and it just seemed so lovely. Really want to hear from current studetnts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocapoca)
    I saw you post on the exeter forum too ahaha :' I have an offer from southampton and exeter too! Not been to exeter but will go for a offer holder day but i've visited southampton and it just seemed so lovely. Really want to hear from current studetnts!
    exactly! for me, its between Southampton and Exeter for my firm choice. however ive heard a lot of concerns that Exeter has a less fun/friendly atmosphere as it has a very high percent of privately educated students that are very posh , (I dont know about you, but im from a public school ). They both seem to be very good university in term of graduate prospects ect although, so hearing from current students would really help!!
    ps, what other offers have you got and what are you thinking of choosing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack_madle)
    exactly! for me, its between Southampton and Exeter for my firm choice. however ive heard a lot of concerns that Exeter has a less fun/friendly atmosphere as it has a very high percent of privately educated students that are very posh , (I dont know about you, but im from a public school ). They both seem to be very good university in term of graduate prospects ect although, so hearing from current students would really help!!
    ps, what other offers have you got and what are you thinking of choosing?
    Same! I'm thinking between Southampton and exeter too! I've got offers from Bristol Southampton Exeter Nottingham and Cardiff, you? Yeah oh my god that's what I heard too- I don't go to a private school and I've heard students at Bristol and Exeter can be quite hostile ahah :')

ReputationRep:
    Same! I'm thinking between Southampton and exeter too! I've got offers from Bristol Southampton Exeter Nottingham and Cardiff, you? Yeah oh my god that's what I heard too- I don't go to a private school and I've heard students at Bristol and Exeter can be quite hostile ahah :'
    ive got offers from Exeter, Surrey, Southampton, Newcastle and Reading... if it was a purely academic decision then I would say that Exeter probably edges it. but to chose a University to live in, I am also considering the social side of things. Ive heard that Southampton generally has a more friendly middle class / public school sector which is how I would describe myself, so it is for sure a hard decision to make

ReputationRep:
    Same! I'm thinking between Southampton and exeter too! I've got offers from Bristol Southampton Exeter Nottingham and Cardiff, you? Yeah oh my god that's what I heard too- I don't go to a private school and I've heard students at Bristol and Exeter can be quite hostile ahah :'
    Also, just a small bit about Bristol:
    I went to see Bristol in the summer with my sister as it was one of her choices, (yes twin sister ). I thought it had a really friendly feel and all of the current students that I spoke to seemed very normal and down to earth... (she has since firmed it)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same I'd say the same tbh :') I just want to make sure I firm a uni where I'll have a good time at if I'm gonna be there for 3 or more years ahah! I have twin sisters ahaha (younger) Ohh yeah I've been to Bristol a couple times, love the city, went to the open day but didn't like that it wasn't a campus- less of a community feel for me I dunno ahah :P Tbh I dont mind any of my unis I applied to I liked them all when I visited but I'm gonna go to offer holder days just to make sure

ReputationRep:
    You guys will have an amazing time in Southampton! I'm a first year here and so far the experience has been amazing, town is lovely and so is the uni itself- if you have any questions feel free to quote this post and ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordan_s)
    You guys will have an amazing time in Southampton! I'm a first year here and so far the experience has been amazing, town is lovely and so is the uni itself- if you have any questions feel free to quote this post and ask!
    hello, I visited Southampton today, enjoyed it.
    Just one question though, which accommodation would you recommend which is both practical to get to main campus from and has a friendly, social atmosphere? ps, hoping to get en suite, self catered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack_madle)
    hello, I visited Southampton today, enjoyed it.
    Just one question though, which accommodation would you recommend which is both practical to get to main campus from and has a friendly, social atmosphere? ps, hoping to get en suite, self catered.
    I'd recommend either Glen, Wessex, or Highfield halls for easy access to campus!
    From Glen it's a 10 minute walk to campus (or a 3 minute bus via the U2B if you're feeling lazy), a 8 minute bus ride from Wessex with the U1C every 5 minutes in the mornings, and then a literal 5 minute walk from Highfield halls, as they're located right on Avenue Campus.

In terms of atmosphere, Wessex is considered the 'party' halls, Glen isn't as social, and Highfield is a lot calmer compared to these two.

You can get self catered en-suite at Glen and Wessex, but not at Highfield, because it's completely catered.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.