Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recently stopped wearing a headscarf. AMA Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    do you want a medal?

(Original post by SAhm95)
    do you want a medal?
    Do you have one in gold?

you know it is possible to not agree with OP's decision without being disrespectful about it

some people on this thread ought to give it a go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAhm95)
    do you want a medal?
    yes, perhaps she does deserve one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    yes, perhaps she does deserve one
    Noone on TSR cares for if she wears a scarf or not - go away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hejraat)
    huh ? I do care - I don't particularly support people walking around in their religious uniforms

all the best

People do care, you're just butthurt that she's rejected islam and an Islamic practice. If this thread was about a girl choosing to wear a headscarf you'd all be mashalling lol so don't tell me you lot don't care haha

ReputationRep:
    huh ? I do care - I don't particularly support people walking around in their religious uniforms

all the best
    IDIOTS ASSEMBLE
    Always fight as one... till the battles won
    With evil on the run... our work never becomes done...
    Together we are strong... together we are one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    People do care, you're just butthurt that she's rejected islam and an Islamic practice. If this thread was about a girl choosing to wear a headscarf you'd all be mashalling lol so don't tell me you lot don't care haha
    No lol either way i dont care - i dont think this **** needs to be shared here
    You could walk around naked for all i care

ReputationRep:
    IDIOTS ASSEMBLE
    a deep, deep argument

I personally believe that hijab is more about identity than modesty

in reality, women wearing hijab define themselves as Muslim, and separate themselves from non-Muslims : in other words, they contribute to creating a culture of division and separation

it's part of the Islamic black-and-white culture : halal and haram, true believers and kuffar. Here, the blessed ones, and there, the cursed ones. Here, purity, there, vice and decadence . We are going to paradise, you will languish in hellfire...

there are already too many reasons for division in our societies : race, ethnicity, nationality, class, language. The last thing we need is adding religion as one more public identity marker, so as to deepen our divisions and add opportunities for discord and strife

And for this reason I disapprove of people wandering around wearing their religious uniforms.

Best

ReputationRep:
    No lol either way i dont care - i dont think this **** needs to be shared here
    You could walk around naked for all i care
    If you don't care then why bother commenting? You're not the TSR dictator and thus don't get to decide what people do and don't talk about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    If you don't care then why bother commenting? You're not the TSR dictator and thus don't get to decide what people do and don't talk about.
    Because i santed to let it be known i didnt care - cmon - use your brain

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think it's pretty interesting and it seems to be a big deal to the OP, so who are you to decide what is/isn't important to people? If something has been a big part of someone's life up until this point then even if it is actually small it could be a big deal to that person. People share more irrelevant things everyday, stop throwing a tantrum over it.

ReputationRep:
    Because i santed to let it be known i didnt care - cmon - use your brain
    you clearly care enough to post this vital information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kazantu)
    you clearly care enough to post this vital information
    I do not care for whether she wears a headscarf or not... i care for her sharing it on TSR and making an AMA, its quite sad

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    Do you feel good?
    Should she feel good though?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting topic imo.

Head coverings feature in various religious systems for various reasons.

Regardless of what those reasons are, it is imo, vital that every one of us, objectively appraise and assess any form of behavioural requirement / compliance for ourselves and partake voluntarily rather than partake out of raw obedience and/or peer pressure or fear.

We were all born free. There are NO RULES. Anyone who tells you that you must do A or B is lying. They are merely trying to enforce their world and system of behaviours on you.

True spiritual beliefs and religious systems do not force, they set out a behaviour, explain why it exists, encourage others to conform but overall, allow them to voluntarily decide for themselves.

I've seen some saddening cases of women blindly conforming to behavioural requirements in this field.

Many Christian women, esp those of the more modern Evangelical or "House" Churches, wear head coverings but the reasons stated for it are ludicrous. The reasons stated are 2-fold and are:

1. It shows obedience and subservience to God, shows him that you are serious and willing to follow his ways.

2. It shows obedience and subservience (voluntary) to their husbands, showing that they understand and accept that the husband is the head of the marriage but knowing that both man and women have key parts to play.

If you objectively appraise these reasons you can only conclude that they are flawed and ludicrous. Sadly many women don't appraise, they just follow others like sheep and thus is born peer pressure to just conform. The reasons are flawed because:

1. God knows your every waking thought and deed. He knows you inside out. He therefore does not need any woman to wear a head covering to determine whether they love and respect God and are subservient. It is a complete wasted effort on the woman's part.

2. The husband, if he is a true and loving husband, knows whether or not his wife respects his position and is subservient. If he doesn't know this he ought not to have gotten married at all ! So again, the head covering is a complete waste of effort.

We must remain true to ourselves at all times.

The Hijab which has been mentioned ITT is about modesty I believe, covering the head and chest, though I am no expert. Any woman could wear a similar head covering purely for reasons of modesty and there is no issue with this that I can see. It is a personal choice for any woman. I suspect however that there exists a lot of peer pressure within some faiths/religions in regards to it and possibly a level of stigma involved for those that choose not to wear it.

The jury is out for me in terms of right and wrong. I think the overall message in some religions is essentially to dress respectfully, with care and thought and in such a way as you are not overly impacting those around you especially other males for whom it is natural to be tempted or allured by a beautiful woman/body.
    This seems pretty sensible to be honest, however there are life situations where it is impractical. For example, if you go swimming, what should you wear ? In that situation the head covering is the least of your worries!

In the final analysis we must be true to ourselves. But we should also respect and be mindful of others around us. If you ever go on a ship with many other people, you soon realise how one person's actions greatly impact many other people in such a confined space.

To live together peacefully we must respect each other and moderate our behaviours in all aspects of life. What we choose to wear impacts this, just as what we do and say does.

ReputationRep:
    I do not care for whether she wears a headscarf or not...
    why should we care about the fact that you don't care ?

ReputationRep:
    why should we care about the fact that you don't care ?
    Where did i say you had to care about my opinion? I just wanted to let it be known - you're not very intelligent are you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.