The Student Room Group

What's an interracial relationship? Am I in one?

im half white half black my gf is Hispanic. I never considered us to be an interracial relationship. She identifies as hispanic but white. I identify more as mixed but I look white. No one guesses us to be that different racially I don't think. Isn't an interracial relationship usually like a black guy and a white girl? I ask this because I had someone who knows my mom is black describe our relationship as interracial? My gf's darker than me I actually usually am assumed to be white unless I'm around my mom or sisters because I have white skin green eyes and generally look like my dad more Than My mom. but culturally we're more different due to culture because my mother is american and knows no other culture. My sisters are also black. And my dad is Portuguese american but don't have a good relationship. Her parents are both from Caracas but she's born here. I think she's triracial. Of which I believe on a larger level I'm triracial as well but a bit too far to count. My mom's dad was Mexican American and his mom was half creole half black. Louisiana creole is triracial and Mexican tends to be mestizo(native/spanish descent). Generally just biracial though. What do you think?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes, you are.
Reply 2
Why how?
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, you are.
Reply 3
Can't believe this actually requires a thread.
Reply 4
It's when you date someone who is not of the same race/mix of races as yourself. Your gf is not half black and half white. Therefore you are indeed in a mixed race relationship.
loooool
Original post by STLJA
It's when you date someone who is not of the same race/mix of races as yourself. Your gf is not half black and half white. Therefore you are indeed in a mixed race relationship.

This.

Op. Your stupidity is mind boggling. Literally wanna pull the hair out of my head.
Reply 7
Original post by STLJA

She's triracial biologically though. I'm not half white half black biologically either... I'm only half white half black socially. My mom's like 60 something percent black so I'd be like 30% and then the rest is mainly white. 5-10% is probably native american ancestry.
Original post by Nicolas2000
She's triracial biologically though. I'm not half white half black biologically either... I'm only half white half black socially. My mom's like 60 something percent black so I'd be like 30% and then the rest is mainly white. 5-10% is probably native american ancestry.

Ha. 60% black? Lol. Unless you have native americans turning up to your family reunion then she's just black. Stop claiming things that you are not. Sorry, not sorry.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Ha. 60% black? Lol. Unless you have native americans turning up to your family reunion then she's just black. Stop claiming things that you are not. Sorry, not sorry.

I was actually being generous lol. Most African Americans are 70-80% black....

My mom's dad was mixed. He was half Mexican. And his mom was half creole. She's at the most 60 something % black because her grandfather being mexican(mestizo) would make her 75%.... And creoles are mixed so that would put her in the 60 something ppercent range. I didn't even include the fact that african americans tend to have mixed ancestry in itself. which would make her like 50% something percent. Making me like 25ish% black. That would actually explain why my skin is white. More so though I chuck it up to the fact that I look a lot like my dad.

But I'm half black socially because my mom is socially black. She had two parents who had african descent. That in america means you're black. And so I'm socialy half white half black. But biologically I have probs 60-70% white in me and 5-10% native the rest being black.
(edited 8 years ago)
your mum must be half-caste for you to look more white than black, surely?
'Interracial relationship' is a term used by racists to imply that race mixing is bad. It's an utterly meaningless term. A relationship is a relationship, why should there be a separate term if the people happen to be of different races? You don't say 'mixed nationality relationship' after all, although someone from Japan and someone from North Korea would have a lot less in common than two born and bred English people of different racial origins.
Original post by The_Last_Melon
your mum must be half-caste for you to look more white than black, surely?

Not technically no both her parents had african heritage and her mom was fully black so that makes her black. But she is lighter complected. But mainly I just look like my dad.
im half white half black my gf is Hispanic. I never considered us to be an interracial relationship. She identifies as hispanic but white. I identify more as mixed but I look white. No one guesses us to be that different racially I don't think. Isn't an interracial relationship usually like a black guy and a white girl? I ask this because I had someone who knows my mom is black describe our relationship as interracial? My gf's darker than me I actually usually am assumed to be white unless I'm around my mom or sisters because I have white skin green eyes and generally look like my dad more Than My mom. but culturally we're more different due to culture because my mother is american and knows no other culture. My sisters are also black. And my dad is Portuguese american but don't have a good relationship. Her parents are both from Caracas but she's born here. I think she's triracial. Of which I believe on a larger level I'm triracial as well but a bit too far to count. My mom's dad was Mexican American and his mom was half creole half black. Louisiana creole is triracial and Mexican tends to be mestizo(native/spanish descent). Generally just biracial though. What do you think?

Who cares, race is becoming extinct anyway, and the evidence is in how many races mixed to make you. Just date who you love.

I mean I've never read so many races in one paragraph.

I never realised race required complicated maths equations and exact proportions.
I was actually being generous lol. Most African Americans are 70-80% black....

My mom's dad was mixed. He was half Mexican. And his mom was half creole. She's at the most 60 something % black because her grandfather being mexican(mestizo) would make her 75%.... And creoles are mixed so that would put her in the 60 something ppercent range. I didn't even include the fact that african americans tend to have mixed ancestry in itself. which would make her like 50% something percent. Making me like 25ish% black. That would actually explain why my skin is white. More so though I chuck it up to the fact that I look a lot like my dad.

But I'm half black socially because my mom is socially black. She had two parents who had african descent. That in america means you're black. And so I'm socialy half white half black. But biologically I have probs 60-70% white in me and 5-10% native the rest being black.

In america being half black = black. Who is the first 'black' president? Who was the first 'black' woman to win an Oscar.

Half of my family comes from Europe and the other half from the Caribbean and I know I have a photo of my Indian great grandma and have a photo of her but I don't run around making up numbers without an actual DNA test on myself or claiming Indian. That's dumb. Did you know the average European and Asian person has up to 4% Neanderthal DNA? https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/ Should we call claim that too, by your logic?
Reply 16

Lool wtf?
Original post by Anonymous
In america being half black = black. Who is the first 'black' president? Who was the first 'black' woman to win an Oscar.

Half of my family comes from Europe and the other half from the Caribbean and I know I have a photo of my Indian great grandma and have a photo of her but I don't run around making up numbers without an actual DNA test on myself or claiming Indian. That's dumb. Did you know the average European and Asian person has up to 4% Neanderthal DNA? https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/neanderthal/ Should we call claim that too, by your logic?

Yeah but barack obama and halle berry kind of appear to be light skinned african americans. My mom looks quite similar to her in her day actually. So I understand why they say they're black. Plus barack obama's dad is fully african and his mom has some african ancestry so that's why they call him black. Socially that's how it works here if two parents have african heritage and one of those parents is fully black then you're automatically black like rihanna and chanel.

No I'm just saying the genetically my gf and I are probably similar only she probably has a lot more native blood and I have a lot more caucasian heritage. To me I just don't think we're in an interracial relationship. More intercultural than anything lol. I made that word up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah but barack obama and halle berry kind of appear to be light skinned african americans. My mom looks quite similar to her in her day actually. So I understand why they say they're black. Plus barack obama's dad is fully african and his mom has some african ancestry so that's why they call him black. Socially that's how it works here if two parents have african heritage and one of those parents is fully black then you're automatically black like rihanna and chanel.

No I'm just saying the genetically my gf and I are probably similar only she probably has a lot more native blood and I have a lot more caucasian heritage. To me I just don't think we're in an interracial relationship. More intercultural than anything lol. I made that word up.

The skin tone, or having an actual African parent doesn't matter in America, even Mariah Carey, Jessica Szohr, Derek Jeter and Rashida Jones are classed as black. Halle berry's blonde daughter Nahla is classed as black. Some of them have white skin, blonde hair and/or blue eyes and are still classed as black. Sorry, that's just how it is.

But if you really thought you were not in an interracial relationship you would give us a big breakdown of the races you (assume) you and your girlfriend are to be honest. You probably would not post this thread either, as such things would not matter.
Is this a serious question?...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending