The Student Room Group

year 12 and depressed

well here goes, i am in year 12 studying bio, chem and psychology. Every week i get U's or E's in assessments its really hard i wish i never even went to sixth form, i stayed at my schools sixth form. i dont really get along with any body at sixth form only close with one friend tbh. But anyways i had mocks a week ago and got straight U's, i did revise before you ask, didnt work though. Everythings just hard i know i might sound ungrateful moaning about college but im struggling so bad. My self esteem has been so low because i just think i'm ugly af and thin as a stick even though i eat like an elephant. no girls at my sixth form speak to me either. i go college and i am nobody to anybody i come home dont get along with family eat and go to room i be shattered from college because i dont get enough sleep the night before due to thinking of stupid stuff all night then i just lie in bed and browse the internet. ive given up with revision now tbh just do it on the weekends.
Anyone else in the same boat?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alevelstruggle12
well here goes, i am in year 12 studying bio, chem and psychology. Every week i get U's or E's in assessments its really hard i wish i never even went to sixth form, i stayed at my schools sixth form. i dont really get along with any body at sixth form only close with one friend tbh. But anyways i had mocks a week ago and got straight U's, i did revise before you ask, didnt work though. Everythings just hard i know i might sound ungrateful moaning about college but im struggling so bad. My self esteem has been so low because i just think i'm ugly af and thin as a stick even though i eat like an elephant. no girls at my sixth form speak to me either. i go college and i am nobody to anybody i come home dont get along with family eat and go to room i be shattered from college because i dont get enough sleep the night before due to thinking of stupid stuff all night then i just lie in bed and browse the internet. ive given up with revision now tbh just do it on the weekends.

You can PM if you need to talk :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Not quite in the same boat but i have a similar sort of feelings :/ Whilst I have friends that surround me and my grades are alright, i still feel like crying all the time. Often i put on a front so i am just like everyone else when really deep inside i feel like utter crap. i attempt to do revision after school but i feel so demotivated and tired that i do most of my revision on the weekends so I barely go out anymore. But its not like I want to go out anyway, when I get invited to things deep down I don't want to go and I make excuses up whenever I can.When i go to bed I do the same thing and browse the internet and sometimes listen to music and just cry because I feel worthless. Secretly feel like a fraud whenever I do well in tests.:s-smilie: my emotions are all over the place to be quite fair. one minute i am happy the next minute i am just moody.
If you ever need someone to talk to feel free! I'm not much help but sometimes letting it all out makes me feel better like replying to this now
Reply 3

Hello alevelstruggle12,

I'm not in the same boat...but I once was.

I was a smart student, passed all my GCSEs without having to bat an eyelid. And then I moved to my school's sixth form and things got TOUGH. I was never a popular kid and it became really clear that I was a bit of an outcast amongst my peers. I struggled with learning HOW to learn, because learning had always been easy for me. I ended up being one of the first joint College/Academy students in my school (doing one lesson at College and the others at my Academy Sixth Form). I realised throughout the year that the College way of doing things (far more independence, treated more like an adult) suited me better, and I decided I would transfer after Year 12.

At the end of my AS year, I ended up with a C in English (I was naturally good at English and so, without working too hard, and despite hating it at A Level, I somehow managed to get a good grade), D in Critical Thinking (which I was forced to do and no-one wanted to study), a low E in Biology (so the College lecturer wanted me to resit before doing my A2, and a U in Chemistry and Law.

I retook the year. Surprisingly, quite a few people do. I didn't learn my lesson though, and I didn't engage in class even if I made some cursory attempts to revise. Seriously, working in class and being completely honest and transparent with your lecturers (and really, truly WANTING to succeed and being ready to WORK to succeed) is massively important. I finished up after three years of AS/A2 levels with DEU (Biology/Law/Chemistry) at A Level, and a CDE (Eng. Lit/Critical Thinking/Chemistry) in AS'.

I changed my career plans after struggling with Chemistry for the two AS years. I wanted to enter forensic science, but that seemed almost impossible with such poor Chem grades. I then remembered all my teachers since I was 7 telling me how good a teacher I would make. I was accepted (even with the low grades I received) into the BA Special Educational Needs course at the University of St. Mark and St. John, Plymouth. I place this on the amount of extra-curricular stuff I was able to call on in my personal statement.

I GOT A 2:1 IN MY DEGREE. Those three years of thinking I had "reached the peak of my education" or that I was 'incapable' of University level work were awful...but they were WRONG.

A Levels are the biggest jump in difficulty you will experience. It is tough. And getting support can make a huge amount of difference (I now work as teaching support at the College I attended as a student, getting experience for applying for teaching. :smile: ) and letting your school counsellor or support team know you are feeling hopeless about your situation right now might help the school help you in the run-up to the exams, and possibly even help with tutoring or mentoring to help you pull those grades up.

Please don't give up, and please don't struggle in silence. Schools and Colleges have people in place specifically to support students who are feeling the way you are, and if worst comes to worst, taking a second year for your AS' (perhaps in a different place) is NOT the end of the world. In my experience, that extra year made me more ready for University than I ever would have been the year before.

All is not lost, and whatever happens, there will be ways for you to continue on the path you want to pursue. I wish you all the best of luck.

Josée
(edited 8 years ago)

well.. i don't know if i am in the same boat...
obviously i am getting U's in psychology since i started AS and failing it, and my mocks r coming up next month...
but i usually hang out with my female friends and spent time with them but with boys i hardly talk to them when its to do with groupwork in sixth form etc. or play badminton when none of my female friends wants to play. but i think i choose to not talk to boys too much
but ur issue is that girls dont talk to u coz of ur appearence; well let me tell you, those girls don't deserve u...
And revision issue is with me as well!!! can't do it :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest