Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As above

- if you don't pay electricity, get a cheap fan heater - very effective in heater up small spaces quickly.
    - get a hot water bottle - both for bedtime and for stuffing under you jumper when working at your desk
    - thermal vests from M&S - no I'm not joking, until you've tried one you wont know the cosiness they create.
    - buy a couple of cheap fleece throws/blankets (£3/£4 at Primark) - one for your bed and one to wrap round your knees when sat at your desk.
    - block off the draft coming under the door - even a rolled up towel on the floor will help.
    - block off the vent - bubble wrap taped over it might work.
    - close your curtains - loads of heat goes straight out of the window.
    - work in the Uni Library whenever you can - warmth is free there.

And if its still cold, then complain to your Uni Housing Office or landlord.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdorableDrip)
    The radiator is right next to the door so all the heat goes straight out and my desk is next to the window which has a vent that can't be closed. I've put my coat lining the door to try and keep the heat in but I can't think of anything else to actually make the heat go around the room

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you thought about buying a draught excluder? Put it in front of the door when you are in there and it'll stop the heat escaping from your room and keep it warmer - well it'll slow it down at the very least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becxmayo141)
    I can't think of a way to heat the room as such but I would 100% recommend getting a 'microwave hottie'. I used to use hot water bottles under my duvet to get my bed warm but I'm so worried of popping them in the night, also they're not particularly nice to hold. My sister got me a jack wills hottie for Christmas and I already had 2 pug ones! They are literally perfect to keep warm and take like 2 minutes to heat up in a microwave.

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/g...FVXGGwodwToE1g

This is my pug one, they're not overly expensive and literally life savers!!
    Whenever i get cold i hollow out a corpse of a TanTan and clamber inside, Its a bit whiffy, but it gets me through the night

ReputationRep:
    Wheat bags are good for warming up. Mine's a teddy bear one and it's so nice to cuddle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    A little oil filled radiator under the desk will help. They're usually safer and less energy hungry than fan heaters. Something like http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Prod...er/4152291.htm

Also some warm slippers (even if you just put your feet in them under the desk).

A scarf and hat will make you feel warmer than a jumper usually. I used to take fingerless gloves into uni in the summer for working in air conditioned labs.

Also it you're in a flat/hall see if there's a rad out in the hallway that isn't switched on.

Very good advice, I was going to recommend the same.

Also complain to the Halls office? They might have some extra radiators or something which they could loan you, you never know.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Prod...heater+fan.htm

buy this! we have one in every room in our house (rooms which we use) and dont usually turn them off unless if we are going out, super useful and they make the room really warm within minutes

ReputationRep:
    Wear a second jumper - works better than you think.
    Keep your room curtains closed. This does make a nice difference.

Think everything else has been suggested. Even a small £10 fan heater will do wonders. They are much more powerful than their size makes them look.

(Original post by AdorableDrip)
    The radiator is right next to the door so all the heat goes straight out and my desk is next to the window which has a vent that can't be closed. I've put my coat lining the door to try and keep the heat in but I can't think of anything else to actually make the heat go around the room

Posted from TSR Mobile
    These are pricey but I really want one. They look great!
    http://www.firebox.com/product/7226/Yeti-Lap-Warmer

ReputationRep:
    Heaters and such are usually quite expensive to run... Put thermals on and light a load of candles

ReputationRep:
    If you've got cash (or people willing to help you out), try a mattress pad. It's certainly an investment, since they cost a fortune, but they also save you tons on heating bills and you'd be surprised how cozy they make your bed.

ReputationRep:
    Set fire to your textbooks

ReputationRep:
    Have you got curtains? I assume you have. Make sure they're closed, will stop some of the draft/heat escape at the window.

Don't be tempted to have a "nip" of spirits to warm you up, having alcohol in the blood stream actually thins the blood and makes yo lose body heat easier.

ReputationRep:
    Something that feels counter intuitive but might help: open your windows completely for a few minutes each day to help dry out your room. UK buildings tend to be very damp, and damp air is harder to heat up than dry air, and also feels colder.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Or so I've been told. Could be pseudoscience

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.