Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Engineering has destroyed my motivation to study and I hate UCL Watch

Announcements

(Original post by Table dust)
    change department within your university. I'm 2nd year chem engineering and I hate it, I should of dropped out but I was too stubborn. unless you want to work in engineering, it will be the sum of the quality of your personality and talents which will get you the job not simply your degree.
    Are you doing ChemEng at UCL? How hard is second year compared to first year? Engineering is so difficult but surprisingly isn't so hard to get into. One of the laziest people that I knew from college wanted to study engineering and they received offers to study Engineering from universities so easily. I think entry requirements for Engineering should be more stringent to reflect how hard it is. I got into Engineering without studying Maths and Physics which is a complete joke since my course has so much Maths and Physics.

I'm not planning go give up on education. I'm aiming to achieve a Bachelors which will be enough to me and I'm not interested in Masters or Doctorates. I know that many people manage to get into jobs that have nothing to do with their degrees. That's the benefit with having a degree; even if you don't get a job within your degree path, having a degree will increase the chances of getting a job.
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Keep going, loads of people now don't do anything to do with their degrees, and try and get a two two/two one. You'll look back and it's a very small period of your life. With those degrees, certainly a 2:1, you'll get ona amasters/phd even if a lesser uni, that won't matter if it's the subject you want to do and plenty of masters now let you on from other subjects, I know there's a lot at southampton that do that.

(Original post by Table dust)
    I'm manchester, rejected my ucl offer but I regret it now. had I gone there I could of swapped to the history/econ department and been happy lol.

First year is easy, so long as you keep up with everyone else you should get a 2.1. Second year you start seeing people who got 60%+ last year get 45% in hard modules.

Think long and hard about what you want from life and your future career. You have the opportunity to study anything you want academically, don't waste it on something you think you will hate.
    Thanks for the advice. By the way I was meant to say that studied I Maths but not Physics.

Thanks for the advice. Did you study Engineering at UCL? Have you already graduated? There are past papers for my degree but there isn't many for each unit. Do you suggest practicing questions from the books or do you think lecture slides and past papers is sufficient?
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    In what year are you?

If in first year: It is normal not to understand much. If you are able to get past papers, do them to get an idea, what you have to cover. Learn your lectures and ask, ask, ask! Half of the people sitting around you confident as they would be Einstein in person, have no idea at all. Hence just work hard, ask, use the year to learn how to learn stuff, which seems impossible. That will help you also when transferring to another degree. Engineering is hard and the transition from school to uni is it, too.

But only study it longer than a year, if you have a reason to do it. Just to be rproud afterwards won't work well. No maintenance grant will be worth it.

How much hours..hm, during term time in addition to lectures two to three hours, in case I had them the whole day and on lecture free days/weekends 8 hours, that was normal in the first years. (Of course you should still take time off at least once a week.) With time you can allow you more time of, as you get a better feeling and you will learn more effectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the advice. Did you study Engineering at UCL? Have you already graduated? There are past papers for my degree but there isn't many for each unit. Do you suggest practicing questions from the books or do you think lecture slides and past papers is sufficient?
    No, I am afraid, can't give any specific UCL advice. You should try to practise questions, who are similar to what you get in your exams. You can also ask the lecturers, if they can recommand you any material. Most important thing is not the quantitiy, but that you thoroughly understand, what you have done. I would also try to get in contact with higher years, so they can give you specific advice, how to tackle each subjects. (Some subjects might require to focus on lectures, other just on past papers, others on both, etc.)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If you're struggling with specific problems you should post then in either the engineering forum or the physics academic help forum as someone may be able to help you.

How are you finding Chemical Engineering at Nottingham?

OP has literally said all that I have been feeling all year! ucl civil engineer here 😖 and for a fact OP there are 10s of people just like us who hate ucl and engineering but plan to stick it out!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.