The Student Room Group

Driving instructor made me upset?

I'm learning how to drive currently. I've had like 7 lessons, but today was the first time I got upset. I keep driving too close on the nearside by accident. He started getting pissed off, and said "this is beyond funny anymore" and then took over. I know I've had a lot of lessons, but I don't practice outside of them because I can't afford insurance at the moment as I'm 17. He made me go shakey and stuff but I feel SO bad for getting it wrong. I kept tearing up but kept hiding it.. What do I do ? :'(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannahmrsx
I'm learning how to drive currently. I've had like 7 lessons, but today was the first time I got upset. I keep driving too close on the nearside by accident. He started getting pissed off, and said "this is beyond funny anymore" and then took over. I know I've had a lot of lessons, but I don't practice outside of them because I can't afford insurance at the moment as I'm 17. He made me go shakey and stuff but I feel SO bad for getting it wrong. I kept tearing up but kept hiding it.. What do I do ? :'(

He shouldn't be making you upset. :frown:
Get a new instructor.

Don't feel bad for getting something wrong - you're just learning! His job is to help you learn!

Try to look at the road ahead of you btw, this might help you stay in the correct position on the road. :smile:
I had 85 hours worth of lessons.

She didn't let me out onto the main road until 18 hours in because I was so distracted all the time and most likely would've killed us.

People progress at different rates. It is appalling that your instructor has made you feel like this. The flaw is in his teaching; not you.

AH I understand the feeling. Don't get upset about it 17 lessons is hardly nothing and I only started feeling confident after about 30/40 hours (I don't have any extra practise either so it is more difficult to learn as fast)
If he continues to make you feel uncomfortable I'd say get a new instructor but don't feel bad about it, he shouldn't expect you to be confident yet after only 17 lessons!
My old instructor was like that, went 10 mph over the limit once (because i never look at the speedo and didnt realise he had a 1.8) and breaked to about 10 mph then started screaming at me. I got rid of him and my test was 3 months away so he lot about 100 quid lol.

I think it is the older instructors that are a bit **** actually, cause older people just get more stressed easily and if hey've been driving with people that can't drive for 40 years plus, it must really piss you off. I bet they almost die every day actually, cuase there are some propper retard learners. anyway driving 2/3 of instructors I had were complete *****
Reply 5
Original post by tcameron
AH I understand the feeling. Don't get upset about it 17 lessons is hardly nothing and I only started feeling confident after about 30/40 hours (I don't have any extra practise either so it is more difficult to learn as fast)
If he continues to make you feel uncomfortable I'd say get a new instructor but don't feel bad about it, he shouldn't expect you to be confident yet after only 17 lessons!

It's 7 lessons mate, but same thing haha
Change driving instructors.

I was in a similar situation, I didn't drive outside of lessons and had never driven before and the 2 hours a week was all I got. Early on I kept driving over the curb every time I turned into a road (this was super early on haha) and this was when my instructor was getting her licence renewed so she had someone shadow our lesson. She was told that the reason I couldn't get it right was because I didn't know when to turn. Sometimes it has little to do with your ability and everything to do with the fact you don't drive and/or realise what you're doing.

My instructor was sound with it, especially considering I kept curbing while she was being assessed haha! So yeah I'd change instructors, you're paying for it and you shouldn't be nearly in tears and having the lesson hijacked. Where is the learning in that? He sounds like a d**k.
Reply 7
Original post by maximo17000
My old instructor was like that, went 10 mph over the limit once (because i never look at the speedo and didnt realise he had a 1.8) and breaked to about 10 mph then started screaming at me. I got rid of him and my test was 3 months away so he lot about 100 quid lol.

I think it is the older instructors that are a bit **** actually, cause older people just get more stressed easily and if hey've been driving with people that can't drive for 40 years plus, it must really piss you off. I bet they almost die every day actually, cuase there are some propper retard learners. anyway driving 2/3 of instructors I had were complete *****

Younger driver's too do get upset/stressed (late 20's or around an age 30's), as they are confident driver, as my driving instructor was around that age, and he made me feel very upset, nervous and stressed me out too...
Reply 8
I think you should change driving instructors. The damage is sort of done and you don't feel comfortable anymore.

It may be a bit awkward but I think that sometimes change is necessary and we shouldn't assume that one instructor has to take us through the whole process.

When I learnt to drive it was great at first but then about halfway through we sort of stagnated and didn't seem to be getting anywhere for a while. At that point perhaps I should have changed.

I guess having someone who knows your habits from the beginning is good but if you ever feel you are wasting your money on someone then you know what to do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9

What has engine capacity got to do with 10mph over the speed limit????
Reply 10

If he makes you feel uncomfortable definitely change your instructor. At the end of the day you are paying for a service, and if he isnt giving you the right service then you need to find someone else who will.

The last thing you need whilst learning how to drive is have someone lowering your confidence. Try and find someone else :smile:
Definitely change instructors, you need someone who you feel comfortable with :smile:

You need a new instructor ASAP. You need someone who when you do something wrong he will reassure you and say it's OK just try again and explain to you thoroughly why you are doing it wrong and how you can correct it. I had an instructor a bit like him for 1 lesson I drove around on my first go, he kept saying I'm doing stuff wrong but not telling me why or how to correct it so I ditched him. Please ditch him for your sake otherwise he will make you feel terrible and your driving confidence will go down and you may cause problems on the road due to being upset and being talked down on. Talk to your parents and talk to driving agencies and maybe ask them specifically maybe an outgoing person who can put you at ease. And as someone said, you're paying for it so it's your choice to do what you want. Good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by IFoundWonderland
I had 85 hours worth of lessons.

She didn't let me out onto the main road until 18 hours in because I was so distracted all the time and most likely would've killed us.

People progress at different rates. It is appalling that your instructor has made you feel like this. The flaw is in his teaching; not you.

85 Hours?!
Are you dyspraxic?
"cuase there are some propper retard learners."

*sigh*
Original post by fr0sr_
85 Hours?!
Are you dyspraxic?

No :lol:

I passed first go ๐Ÿ™Œ

I just get really distracted in general driving, which led to me often veering into trees/post boxes/people :redface:
There seems to be a huge glut in instructors.

Replace him.

I passed first go ๐Ÿ™Œ

I just get really distracted in general driving, which led to me often veering into trees/post boxes/people :redface:

No offence meant by the way, I was just curious. :biggrin:
Could you possibly tell me whereabouts you're from? I'll be sure to avoid that place as much as possible. A "no-go" zone even. :wink:

I passed first go ๐Ÿ™Œ

:rofl: Distracted by what?
Original post by fr0sr_
No offence meant by the way, I was just curious. :biggrin:
Could you possibly tell me whereabouts you're from? I'll be sure to avoid that place as much as possible. A "no-go" zone even. :wink:

No offence taken :tongue: I'm from East London; tbh, this probs exacerbated the problem. People here drive like absolute nutters.

Original post by College_Dropout
:rofl: Distracted by what?

Trees/post boxes/people :wink:
*driving along; sees a small man; "OMG look how small that man is!"; starts driving towards the man; almost kills everyone*

Quick Reply

Latest