Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving instructor made me upset? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahmrsx)
    I'm learning how to drive currently. I've had like 7 lessons, but today was the first time I got upset. I keep driving too close on the nearside by accident. He started getting pissed off, and said "this is beyond funny anymore" and then took over. I know I've had a lot of lessons, but I don't practice outside of them because I can't afford insurance at the moment as I'm 17. He made me go shakey and stuff but I feel SO bad for getting it wrong. I kept tearing up but kept hiding it.. What do I do ? :'(
    Sack him. Don't pay someone who's going to make the process unpleasant. Especially when there are plenty of driving instructors who make the lessons fun. My tutor was trained to teach people with difficulties and he's a great person. Seriously, find someone who enjoys teaching rather than gets frustrated. Your current teacher sounds crap so don't fund him to be crap!

ReputationRep:
    I wasnt great after 7 hours of lessons.
    I stalled 5 times in one lesson and my instructor was ok with it (i got on really well with mine).
    It was a bit out of order what he did.
    Its better to be close to the kerb than to the middle of the road.
    I got the hang of it eventually and passed first time after 32 hours of lessons and a little private practice.
    Youll be fine. Its hard to start with but youll get better with time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    No offence taken I'm from East London; tbh, this probs exacerbated the problem. People here drive like absolute nutters.Trees/post boxes/people *driving along; sees a small man; "OMG look how small that man is!"; starts driving towards the man; almost kills everyone*

Glad to hear it.

That is most reassuring. I'm never in East London.

Chances are that didn't help, from what I've seen from driving in London is that everything has to be instantaneous (moving off from junctions etc.), otherwise everyone gets so angry! - I sympathise a lot more now.

ReputationRep:
    No offence taken I'm from East London; tbh, this probs exacerbated the problem. People here drive like absolute nutters.

Trees/post boxes/people
    *driving along; sees a small man; "OMG look how small that man is!"; starts driving towards the man; almost kills everyone*
    :rofl:
    https://youtu.be/N2RZcMa4mBo?t=53s

ReputationRep:
    I had 85 hours worth of lessons.

She didn't let me out onto the main road until 18 hours in because I was so distracted all the time and most likely would've killed us.

People progress at different rates. It is appalling that your instructor has made you feel like this. The flaw is in his teaching; not you.
    85? bloody hell :eek:

Edit: That must have cost you a fortune!

ReputationRep:
    You have to get on with your instructor to be comfortable, I had 3, and the third one was the one who made me feel most relaxed when learning to drive and he passed me quickly first time.

Definitely find a new instructor!

ReputationRep:
    u shudnt really feel bad about the instructor, his/her job is to make u pass so they shud feel bad, plus if they make u nervous it aint gud, u shud feel comfortable because once you pass you r not goin to see dem again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    What has engine capacity got to do with 10mph over the speed limit????
    because the engine is bigger it accelerates faster than i am used to cause my car is a 1.2.

Obviously u can feel it but i only went that fast for a couple of seconds before i let off

ReputationRep:
    I would change driving instructor.
    I was in the same situation as you and wished I had changed- I didn't because my instructor was a very close family friend. My instructor would be very hard on me when I made mistakes. It made me get very nervous and I dreaded driving lessons. I have passed my driving test now thankfully but if it was up to me I would have changed my instructor. He made me feel very uncomfortable and nervous in the car and every time I made a mistake he would be very firm with me and make me lose any confidence that I had. I don't know, I didn't really enjoy the process of learning to drive. My advice to you would be to change - remember you are paying for this service and the instructor should be patient and calm with you- he/she knows that you are a learner. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahmrsx)
    I'm learning how to drive currently. I've had like 7 lessons, but today was the first time I got upset. I keep driving too close on the nearside by accident. He started getting pissed off, and said "this is beyond funny anymore" and then took over. I know I've had a lot of lessons, but I don't practice outside of them because I can't afford insurance at the moment as I'm 17. He made me go shakey and stuff but I feel SO bad for getting it wrong. I kept tearing up but kept hiding it.. What do I do ? :'(
    oh my god he is sucha wasteman, stay strong and change the company/instructor
    get insured on ur mums/dads car - learning insurance
    it wont be a lot of money
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    sometimes my instructor, upset me but one thing i like with him he give me a freedom to answer back at him. I made a right decision when I kept him until I passed my test up to 6th time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.