B920 - National Security Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    National Security Bill 2016, TSR Conservative and Unionist Party
    A

B I L L

TO

Increase the effort to protect the UK with focus on counter-terrorism.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Interpretation
    In this Act—
    “extremists” means individuals who support or commit ideologically-motivated violence.

2 Deportation of individuals promoting terrorism
    (1) Any immigrant found guilty of promoting terrorism shall be deported from the country.
    (2) If the individual is a UK national, or deportation is impossible, the passport will be seized.
    (3) If the individual holds dual citizenship, their British citizenship will be revoked and they will be subject to 2(4) or 2(1).
    (4) If a British individual is found guilty for promoting terrorism they shall be sentenced to a minimum of 10 years in prison.

3 Detention without charge
    Any Individual suspected of terrorist activities can be detained by authorities without charge for a period of up to 60 days.

4 Closure of congregations that promote radical ideology
    (1) Any centre of congregation that is found promoting extremist ideology shall be considered for closure.
    (2) The closure shall be decided by a local judge based on available evidence.

5 Commencement, short title and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the National Security Act 2016.
    (2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
    (3) This Act comes into force immediately following Royal Assent.

Notes
    Spoiler:
    Show
    We are in a time where the world is facing the worst threat it has ever seen since the end of the Cold War. Radical Islamic terrorism has gained territorial ground in Iraq, Syria, Libya and various African regions. The objective of these jihadist groups is striking fear in the West, with their objective being making us live in constant terror. But the West must not submit to these threats.

This Act will provide the tools our anti-terrorism forces need to fight the menace of ISIS and related organizations. As a country, our main focus must be doing all we can to protect our citizens. After Paris, San Bernardino, Philadelphia, Jakarta and many other attacks, it is our moral duty to do all in our power to prevent future attacks in the UK because if one does happen, and blood is spilled, the people will ask if all possible actions were taken by their leaders to prevent the attack.

ReputationRep:
    I broadly agree, but 3 will cause you the most grief. There is no sense in us abandoning our liberal democratic values out of a desire to defend them. I would support the current IRL maximum limit of 14 days

ReputationRep:
    Abstain, at the moment. I don't dislike the policy of the Bill in general, but I am very strongly against minimum sentences. Leave judges with discretion.

Edit: could you also provide the existing law regarding sections 2(1) and 3?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Is it better to deport someone to go and plan terrorist attacks out of another country or to lock them up here?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have a strong disagreement with your definition of extremist because most extremists are non-violent and conflating the 2 will no nothing but divide the country more.

Also I'm pretty sure that all of section 1 is already law but that might need to be confirmed.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'd need a definition of 'promoting terrorism' and a definition of 'extremist ideology' before I decide whether it's an aye or a nay. Also, on a technicality, Section 2 needs revising, as it doesn't specify whose passport will be seized and therefore does nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Is it better to deport someone to go and plan terrorist attacks out of another country or to lock them up here?
    Deport, let them plan, blow them up from 10 kilometres away. I wouldn't like my taxes to be spent on housing terrorist scum. We could also just execute them if the evidence was strong without releasing them to the wild.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    I broadly agree, but 3 will cause you the most grief. There is no sense in us abandoning our liberal democratic values out of a desire to defend them. I would support the current IRL maximum limit of 14 days
    Hear hear! I cannot support this bill whilst Section 3 is included, and I urge all MPs with any sense to Nay this bill whilst it is still included!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    What about 4? That is a serious infringement of citizens' rights to freedom of speech.

3 is bordering on insane.
    Have you people never heard of the Guildford Four? Birmingham Six? Maguire Seven?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to say nay as it stands, I'd also just check if this isn't covered by Ray's terrorism and treason bill

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I disagree with the bill because it is an infringement of civil liberties.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with all but point 3 - like Noble Chance said there is no need to abandon liberal principles. 14 days is fine enough

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I'd like 'extremist ideology' in s4 changed to 'terrorism'.

To hell with 'liberal principles'.

ReputationRep:
    Generally agree, but I would add:
    at (1), if the offender is minor, his parents/tutors will be deported with him.

I would add a clause saying the immigrant has to prove his nationality and age to claim asylum. Currently we have people from other countries destroying their ID, so they can pretend to be Syrian and/or minor. I would also make much tougher nationality tests (with natives of the claimed country testing the migrant's accent or culture), and bone tests if there is a doubt on their age.
    We know that at least two terrorists in Paris entered Europe as migrants, claiming to be Syrians (with fake passports). With nationality tests, they would have been spotted.

I'd also like to ignore the fact that we cannot deport people to war zones. It's an encouragement to behave badly imo.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently undecided whether I should even deem this with a response. It's an obvious nay and I don't think you even need to ask why. On the flipside, I would like to thank the author for giving me a good laugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)

I would add a clause saying the immigrant has to prove his nationality and age to claim asylum. Currently we have people from other countries destroying their ID, so they can pretend to be Syrian and/or minor. I would also make much tougher nationality tests (with natives of the claimed country testing the migrant's accent or culture), and bone tests if there is a doubt on their age.
    We know that at least two terrorists in Paris entered Europe as migrants, claiming to be Syrians (with fake passports). With nationality tests, they would have been spotted.

I'd also like to ignore the fact that we cannot deport people to war zones. It's an encouragement to behave badly imo.
    I will not vote in favour of this Bill if any of this happens.

ReputationRep:
    Vague law that could be used to imprison a football hooligan or love a country with a regime that is violent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)

I couldn't support anything like this at all. And to hell with tougher nationality tests when most people born in this Country couldn't score high enough to pass them as it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I couldn't support anything like this at all. And to hell with tougher nationality tests when most people born in this Country couldn't score high enough to pass them as it is
    It's not a nationality test like questions on American presidents, it's a test to see if you correctly speak the local accent (like Syrian dialects),or specific questions on local areas that only someone who has lived there can answer.
    Because, currently there are many refugees who claim to be Syrians whilst they are from other countries.

You and thedefinitearticle haven't explained why you oppose the other points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    It's not a nationality test like questions on American presidents, it's a test to see if you correctly speak the local accent (like Syrian dialects),or specific questions on local areas that only someone who has lived there can answer.
    Because, currently there are many refugees who claim to be Syrians whilst they are from other countries.

You and thedefinitearticle haven't explained why you oppose the other points.
    You could ask me about London, where I have lived my whole life, and I can tell you know I'd likely get a fair few questions wrong, especially anything further East of Harrow, or in North or South London, let alone the rest of the Country. Furthermore dialect I would hardly call something one could easily test on, especially with how rapidly some people can change their speaking tone.

As for your other points I don't see deportation as appropriate for a minor, nor do I see punishing others for someone else's crime as appropriate. Bone tests seem so intrusive and unneeded in my opinion.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.