Turn on thread page Beta

More P5 Help needed watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I obviously suck at this module :rolleyes: Am not sure if my answer to a question is right, as I don't have the mark scheme, and even if it isn't, I'm still not sure what to do:

x = (4pq)/(p+q)

y = 4/(p+q)

As p and q vary, the locus of R has the equation xy = 3. The general points for R are given above.

Find the relationship between p and q in the form q=f(p)

Here's what I did:

(4pq)/(p+q) * 4/(p+q) = 3

16pq/(p+q)² = 3

16pq = 3p² + 6pq + 3q²

3q² - 10pq + 3q² = 0
    (3q-p)(q-3p)=0

So the realtionships I ended up with were q = 3p or q = 1/3 (p)

As the question said relationship I assume that I've done this wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my exam is er...tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough I just did that paper today and that was the only bit I was unsure of! I was expecting to get some quadratic with a repeated root so there would be only one solution, but got the same solution as yours. I just checked it from a possibly official markscheme and that was the answer they gave so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    Although youve made an error in your factorising... but in essence you got it right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)
    Funnily enough I just did that paper today and that was the only bit I was unsure of! I was expecting to get some quadratic with a repeated root so there would be only one solution, but got the same solution as yours. I just checked it from a possibly official markscheme and that was the answer they gave so don't worry!
    Ahh I love you! In a totally platonic way This paper was so much easier than I expected, I kept expecting to run into question that I'd stick at for half an hour and then crumple up in fustration.

Ok, more qs, do we need to memeorise

- Standard Integration/differentiation forms like ∫1/(a²+ x²)dx?
    - Learn the formulae for length of a curve and surface areas of revolution.
    - Intrinsic co-ordinate formulae
    - General information about co-ordinate geometry like how to calculate the eccentricity of an elipse?

Thank you very much in advance

Edit: Oops to the factorisation, typical me. Change it!
    Edit 2: Why are these papers so much easier than the questions in the review exercise of the heinemann books? Are they all like this? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Ahh I love you! In a totally platonic way This paper was so much easier than I expected, I kept expecting to run into question that I'd stick at for half an hour and then crumple up in fustration.

- Standard Integration/differentiation forms like ∫1/(a²+ b²)dx?
    - General information about co-ordinate geometry like how to calculate the eccentricity of an elipse?

Edit 2: Why are these papers so much easier than the questions in the review exercise of the heinemann books? Are they all like this? :confused:
    what paper is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    what paper is it?
    It was P5 June 2002, I was surprised at the easiness. Does anyone know what the grade boundaries were?

ReputationRep:
    It was P5 June 2002, I was surprised at the easiness. Does anyone know what the grade boundaries were?
    ive got the mark scheme? want it??

ReputationRep:

- Standard Integration/differentiation forms like ∫1/(a²+ b²)dx?

Well ∫1/(a²+ b²)dx is pretty easy its x/(a²+ b²) + C however integrals like ∫1/(a²+ x²)dx are in the formula book! All the inverse trig and hypoerbolics are in the formula book.

The cartesian and parametric forms of SA and arc length are in the formula book.

Intrinsics are not but there is a sneaky method for remembering a lot of it. Draw a right angled triangle length dx, height dy and hypotenuse ds. The angle is p (psi). Then from geometry dy/dx = tanp , dx/ds = cosp and dy/ds = sinp. These are essential to remember when converting cartesian to intrinsic or vice versa.

In the formula book theres a massive table with all the info on eccentricity, foci, diretrixes (if thats even a word!) etc so you dont really need to know about these.

In general you can use the formula book for about half of it, but you need to know the methods first! Good luck on monday!

ReputationRep:
    Don't suppose anyone can tell me how to integrate (8+8cost)^½? Pleeeeeeease

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-of-pain)
    Don't suppose anyone can tell me how to integrate (8+8cost)^½? Pleeeeeeease
    Think about cos2A = 2cos²A - 1

ReputationRep:
    does nobody want markschemes??

ReputationRep:
    Well ∫1/(a²+ b²)dx is pretty easy its x/(a²+ b²) + C however integrals like ∫1/(a²+ x²)dx are in the formula book! All the inverse trig and hypoerbolics are in the formula book.

In general you can use the formula book for about half of it, but you need to know the methods first! Good luck on monday!
    Drats, I'm human, I make typos Methods are good, I just can't memorise forumlae

Thank you btw, are you the guy who had a dilemma between warwick and tabs for maths?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, thank you, I am happy Most of it was prove la di da is equal to dum di dum so that was ok.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, thank you, I am happy Most of it was prove la di da is equal to dum di dum so that was ok.
    ok well i found the site if anyone else wants it
    http://staffmail.wis.edu.hk/~mbamber...%20AS%20Level/

ReputationRep:
    Think about cos2A = 2cos²A - 1
    Ah thanks, i never think of things like that though...

ReputationRep:
    ok well i found the site if anyone else wants it
    http://staffmail.wis.edu.hk/~mbamber...%20AS%20Level/
    Bless! Thank you Christina And good luck to everyone taking P5 tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Drats, I'm human, I make typos Methods are good, I just can't memorise forumlae

Thank you btw, are you the guy who had a dilemma between warwick and tabs for maths?
    tabs..? I really didn't know which to choose between cam and warwick, I put cam first in the end and im pretty happy with it. I still feel there are aspects of the 'uni experience' that i would miss out on going to cambridge, but its such a great place i think ill really enjoy it. Where are you (hopefully) heading off to?

ReputationRep:
    Bless! Thank you Christina And good luck to everyone taking P5 tomorrow!
    no problem!
    and good luck to everyone too!
    may luck be with us!! luck is what will save me and only luck

ReputationRep:
    tabs..? I really didn't know which to choose between cam and warwick, I put cam first in the end and im pretty happy with it. I still feel there are aspects of the 'uni experience' that i would miss out on going to cambridge, but its such a great place i think ill really enjoy it. Where are you (hopefully) heading off to?
    sorry, tabs is what some people call cambridge

Glad you made up your mind in the end, I reckon you'll be happy at cambridge, although warwick's math is really good cambridge maths is a world leader!

Imperial, f maths grade doesn't count in my offer

ReputationRep:
    do we hope for a paper that is really hard and so will have low grade boundaries or a paper that is easy and will require an exceptionally high score for an A?? However since my wishes are never carried out (i dont have a genie ) i don't suppose it matters.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2004

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.