Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RAF Familiarisation visit Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have my Fam visit next February at RAF Cranwell and I'm expected to do some written work while I'm there (among other things). I believe, it is so they can test my written communication skills. Does anyone know what I'm expected to write about?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Yourself.

ReputationRep:
    So practise your handwriting. First impressions and all that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Yourself.
    Nice and simple. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fritz Bollinger)
    So practise your handwriting. First impressions and all that.
    I thought they would checking that as well. Thank you anyway

ReputationRep:
    They won't care about what style your handwriting is as long as they can read it. Good god, don't over think all this! There is too much scare mongering on this forum as it is!
    I have friends that are OASC boarding officers and believe me, they will not care. Just be yourself, honest and be able to justify any opinion and answer any life choice you have made (they won't ask you about sexual preference in the interview). Most of all, enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dagowly)
    They won't care about what style your handwriting is as long as they can read it. Good god, don't over think all this! There is too much scare mongering on this forum as it is!
    Yeah, and having seen the standard of handwriting of some of those who come out of OACTU...

Perhaps the original poster may be able to clear up a little ambiguity too - is this a fam visit pre-IOT (post OASC) or a general one pre-application? I was under the impression it was the former (and the written assignment I think all trainee Junior Officers have had to do since year dot).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fritz Bollinger)
    Yeah, and having seen the standard of handwriting of some of those who come out of OACTU...

Perhaps the original poster may be able to clear up a little ambiguity too - is this a fam visit pre-IOT (post OASC) or a general one pre-application? I was under the impression it was the former (and the written assignment I think all trainee Junior Officers have had to do since year dot).
    It is post OASC. I've been told that I have to undertake a written assignment during my fam visit. However, I've had no explanation on what the assignment is about. If you have any info that you could share, it would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VViLL)
    It is post OASC. I've been told that I have to undertake a written assignment during my fam visit. However, I've had no explanation on what the assignment is about. If you have any info that you could share, it would be much appreciated.
    As Drewski said, and unless it's changed in the past decade, it is about you. A condensed autobiography of sorts.

ReputationRep:
    It's called a 'my life essay' but don't go nuts, they give it back to you when you're half asleep on term one to type up and upload onto the computer software by the next day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teasin_tina)
    It's called a 'my life essay' but don't go nuts, they give it back to you when you're half asleep on term one to type up and upload onto the computer software by the next day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds rather a cruel method of torture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teasin_tina)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In that case, I'll keep it short and sweet...

ReputationRep:
    Will, are you going on the 22nd for your fam visit? If so I'll see you there

ReputationRep:
    Also does anyone know the branches that need to have the additional OACTU interview at the fam visit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.