The Student Room Group

a STEP-like mechanics question

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zacken
Another equivalent ones is θ=arctan(vv2+2gh)\displaystyle \theta = \arctan \left(\frac v{\sqrt{v^2+2gh}} \right)

Can I check out how you solved the equation when you set dR/dtheta = 0?
Reply 21
Original post by L-Tyrosine
Can I check out how you solved the equation when you set dR/dtheta = 0?

From y=h+xtan(θ)g2u2x2(1+tan2(θ)),\displaystyle y = h + x\tan(\theta) - \frac{g}{2u^2}x^2(1+\tan^2 ( \theta ) ),

We get

dxdθ=xsec2(θ)[xLtan(θ)1]tan(θ)xL(1+tan2(θ))\displaystyle \frac{dx}{d\theta} = \frac{x \sec^2(\theta)[\frac{x}{L}\tan(\theta)-1]}{ \tan(\theta)-\frac{x}{ L }(1+\tan^2(\theta)) }

Where L=u2gL = \frac{u^2}{g}

=0 when tanθ=Lx\tan \theta = \frac{L}{x}, can you see where to go from here?
Reply 22
Original post by Zacken
From y=h+xtan(θ)g2u2x2(1+tan2(θ)),\displaystyle y = h + x\tan(\theta) - \frac{g}{2u^2}x^2(1+\tan^2 ( \theta ) ),

We get

dxdθ=xsec2(θ)[xLtan(θ)1]tan(θ)xL(1+tan2(θ))\displaystyle \frac{dx}{d\theta} = \frac{x \sec^2(\theta)[\frac{x}{L}\tan(\theta)-1]}{ \tan(\theta)-\frac{x}{ L }(1+\tan^2(\theta)) }

Where L=u2gL = \frac{u^2}{g}

=0 when tanθ=Lx\tan \theta = \frac{L}{x}, can you see where to go from here?

Yeah, this was my way, I didn't know you combined the horizontal and vertical displacements to give a cartesian form of displacement and implicitly differentiated. I thought you differentiated R wrt theta which would've given loads of ^-1/2 terms which made me wonder how you solved that trig equation lol, fair enough
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Yeah, this was my way, I didn't know you combined the horizontal and vertical displacements to give a cartesian form of displacement and implicitly differentiated. I thought you differentiated R wrt theta which would've given loads of ^-1/2 terms which made me wonder how you solved that trig equation lol, fair enough

y= u sin theta t + 1/2at^2

x= u cos theta * t

t = x / (u cos theta)

Sub t into y, cartesian form boom.
Reply 24
Original post by Zacken
y= u sin theta t + 1/2at^2

x= u cos theta * t

t = x / (u cos theta)

Sub t into y, cartesian form boom.

I thought idea of changing to cartesian form would've caught people out but it seems like I've been doing too much trivial a level maths and underestimated the step takers lol
-Write down the angle needed to project an object on a flat surface so that it achieves maximum horizontal displacement. Ignore air resistance.

-A projectile is projected with speed v at angle theta to the horizontal. The projectile is on a flat platform raised h metres above the ground, and the ground is flat as well. Derive an expression for theta which gives the maximum horizontal displacement of the projectile. Ignore air resistance.

http://postimg.org/image/o23uzglcx/

Spoiler

Can you PM me the answers please mate
Reply 26
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Can you PM me the answers please mate

Where are you stuck and what have you done so far?
Where are you stuck and what have you done so far?

Can't solve the differential = 0 part b). How d'you get rid of the (2hg + v^2sin^2theta)^1/2?
Reply 28
You don't do it that way, you convert to cartesian co-ordinates, then let the horizontal displacement = 0 and differentiate implicitly with respect to theta. Then let all the dx/dtheta terms = 0 and find an expression for the maximum horizontal displacement. Then plug this back into the cartesian and rearrange for the angle.

Quick Reply

Latest