Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have no motivation for my A levels Watch

Announcements

I'm in year 13 and academically I'm predicted to do very well. I had great motivation for AS so worked my ass off for it resulting in me getting straight A's. This year however I'm just not feeling any motivation. I've got an offer from Cambridge but don't particularly want to go and feel if I do I will just spend all my time studying and not have any time to have some fun, with the only real benefit at the end of it being a possibly high paying yet soul draining job.

All my friends teachers and parents expect me to go and people have been walking up to me congratulating me on my offer. While this should make me good instead it makes me feel even more trapped since as always in life I seem to be once again allowing other peoples opinions of me have an effect on my life choices.

I'm also finding my subjects all much harder this year with exam technique being incredibly different in some subjects making me go from A's to C's in some subjects as well as having a ****load of coursework which I have done little work for.

On top of this there is nothing going on socially anymore. While we once had parties where the whole sixth form was invited now nothing of the sort exists, making me get even more fed up with the mundane dullness that is sixth form.

I have my mocks coming up and while I've done some revision for them it's nowhere near the amount I did in year 12 meaning there is no way I'll get the high grades that are expected of me, resulting in even more pressure on me.

In short I am fed up of sixth form yet unmotivated to revise and have no idea where I am going to go for uni. What exactly should I do to try and deal with this?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to go to Cambridge (and you're fairly confident that this isn't just a temporary thing or that you won't regret not going after) then don't go. If you get stick or puzzled expressions from the people around you, that's their problem. It probably has put a lot of pressure on you to accept.

Maybe it's worth speaking to a current student at the college on your course if you haven't already to ask about the workload and whether there's time to have fun. Or perhaps you'd be better off somewhere (out of all of the places you've had offers from or otherwise) where you know you'd have a bit less pressure and workload but the social side of it is pretty good as well.

Coursework and just studying in general can be quite difficult to find the motivation for. We often leave these things until the last minute and feel pressure due to deadlines and don't do as well as we should. Perhaps it would be worth reminding yourself that you don't want to leave it until the last minute - and also trying to build up a routine, doing bits and pieces of it and rewarding yourself in whatever way you wish.

If you got straight A's at AS, I think you have it in you to adapt to the changes in difficulty. It may be worth examining the mocks that you've done and getting used to it. After all, AS was probably different in structure to GCSEs but you got the hang of that pretty well.

As for the social side, if there's nothing going on, maybe you could be the one to organise things? If not, maybe just smaller gatherings between your friends, maybe a trip to a theme park or to watch a film? Or even round to yours to get destroyed on FIFA.

If you're not sure about where you want to go to uni, and you've been to open days or offers holders days for your other choices and don't feel like you want to go to any of them, perhaps it's worth trying to do the best you can to get good grades this year and taking a gap year while you figure things out?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    x

ReputationRep:
    If you are feeling low, lacking energy, and/or not sleeping then I would drop by to speak with your GP. The sudden change in motivation is a bit strange given everything you've done/achieved so far.

I don't have much in the way of specific advice but you don't have to see high grades simply as a ticket to a soul destroying desk job. In reality, they're about keeping options open, not about forcing you down one particular path. You have great AS grades so can now go to Cambridge or anywhere else or not go to university at all. You are free to do anything, most others in your cohort are not.

I personally would try to meet the terms of my offer and go to Cambridge simply to work out what it is I wanted to do with my life - and that absolutely doesn't have to be whatever job is offering graduates the highest starting salary in your graduation year. If you can invest that effort for a few more years (and I honestly don't know of any evidence to suggest that Cambridge undergraduates have less fun than those elsewhere) then you really can plan to do anything you want afterwards.

Of course the great thing about options is that you don't have to go to Cambridge either. Do what you want to do, not what others expect you to, but think long-term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    If you don't want to go to Cambridge (and you're fairly confident that this isn't just a temporary thing or that you won't regret not going after) then don't go. If you get stick or puzzled expressions from the people around you, that's their problem. It probably has put a lot of pressure on you to accept.

Maybe it's worth speaking to a current student at the college on your course if you haven't already to ask about the workload and whether there's time to have fun. Or perhaps you'd be better off somewhere (out of all of the places you've had offers from or otherwise) where you know you'd have a bit less pressure and workload but the social side of it is pretty good as well.

Coursework and just studying in general can be quite difficult to find the motivation for. We often leave these things until the last minute and feel pressure due to deadlines and don't do as well as we should. Perhaps it would be worth reminding yourself that you don't want to leave it until the last minute - and also trying to build up a routine, doing bits and pieces of it and rewarding yourself in whatever way you wish.

If you got straight A's at AS, I think you have it in you to adapt to the changes in difficulty. It may be worth examining the mocks that you've done and getting used to it. After all, AS was probably different in structure to GCSEs but you got the hang of that pretty well.

As for the social side, if there's nothing going on, maybe you could be the one to organise things? If not, maybe just smaller gatherings between your friends, maybe a trip to a theme park or to watch a film? Or even round to yours to get destroyed on FIFA.

If you're not sure about where you want to go to uni, and you've been to open days or offers holders days for your other choices and don't feel like you want to go to any of them, perhaps it's worth trying to do the best you can to get good grades this year and taking a gap year while you figure things out?
    Hi,Can you help me economics and psychology making me question life....my mum's giving me lectures about revising those subjects but im struggling to discipline myself like when i say i'm going to revise at x time i revise at y and today i said id revise at 10 and ended up revising at 1....annoyed at myself and kind of fustrated since i have current assements in a week and a bit...planning to stay after school for like 40mins on tues and friday since wednesdays i basically revise for the whole day and mon and thurs i have frees 5 and 6 so i'll go to my local library(my mum wants me to stay in school and revise but i cant be bothered to wait in line for food when i can just eat as i go to my local library....) any advice?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    Hi,Can you help me economics and psychology making me question life....my mum's giving me lectures about revising those subjects but im struggling to discipline myself like when i say i'm going to revise at x time i revise at y and today i said id revise at 10 and ended up revising at 1....annoyed at myself and kind of fustrated since i have current assements in a week and a bit...planning to stay after school for like 40mins on tues and friday since wednesdays i basically revise for the whole day and mon and thurs i have frees 5 and 6 so i'll go to my local library(my mum wants me to stay in school and revise but i cant be bothered to wait in line for food when i can just eat as i go to my local library....) any advice?
    If you have the textbooks and stuff to write on/with, then when it comes to 10 o'clock turn everything off and go to study. It may help to set up some kind of reward or regular breaks. If there's a kitchen table that you can revise at, that may be an idea.

Do what works best for you - if studying at the library is better than at school, then do it.

And now's the time to start feeling some pressure. You don't want to fail your assessments, right? So get going, make notes and check off bits of the syllabus, do past paper questions or whatever you need to do for your assessment and hopefully you do well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.