Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OPTIONS??? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im in year 9 what options should i choose to become a pharmacist
    Geo/ history

sociology/ rs/ applied business/ music/ hospitality and catering/ ict

PE/ art and design/ textiles/ drama/ product design.

and i will choose french

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abadullah)
    I'm pretty sure you need the sciences and maths for that. Try looking into uni courses and see if they have any other preferences for A level

ReputationRep:
    Double science at least. Triple science if you can. Otherwise choose what you are good at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ask this user

(Original post by darkred)
    x

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely aim to do at least double awards, and at the end of gcses you should focus on getting grades above Bs because pharmacy is very competitive and this will give you an advantage. Also for your options take subjects that you're really good at that are easy because they don't tend to criticise anything. The requirement is at least a B in maths and above c in both English lang/lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    Ask this user
    when are u gon get it thru that thick head of urs... im NOT doing pharmacy.

ReputationRep:
    Oh?? First time you've told me.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You should already be doing G.C.S.E. science. As others have said, try and do triple if you can, if not oh well. Just pick what you're good at and what you like. You're already what you need.
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    I'm pretty sure you need the sciences and maths for that. Try looking into uni courses and see if they have any other preferences for A level
    Looking at G.C.S.E.s here, not A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    You should already be doing G.C.S.E. science. As others have said, try and do triple if you can, if not oh well. Just pick what you're good at and what you like. You're already what you need.
    Looking at G.C.S.E.s here, not A Levels.
    I know, I was just implying that as most uni's state A level preferences, once OP knows which A levels they want, they can take them at GCSE.

Sorry for the confusion
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Choose a variety of subjects so if possible at least:
    Triple Science
    A humanity (hist/geog)
    A lang
    Ideally something else (eg Computing)
    With a variety like this it doesn't narrow any options down if you change your mind about what you want to do but it does show a good candidate assuming you get good grades in the subjects
    HTH

ReputationRep:
    Im in year 9 what options should i choose to become a pharmacist there is
    Geo/ history

sociology/ rs/ applied business/ music/ hospitality and catering/ ict

PE/ art and design/ textiles/ drama/ product design.

and i will choose french

To work in Pharmaceuticals the subject needed the most is Chemistry, then preferably another science such as Biology and also Maths. As these subjects are compulsory at GCSE anyway, take whatever subjects you enjoy. When you move onto A Levels, Chemistry, Biology and Maths would be recommended.

Hope this helps :]
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    none of those options are needed, just do well in your maths, chem and bio and you're ok. choose what you enjoy/find easy etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dapperblook22)
    To work in Pharmaceuticals the subject needed the most is Chemistry, then preferably another science such as Biology and also Maths. As these subjects are compulsory at GCSE anyway, take whatever subjects you enjoy. When you move onto A Levels, Chemistry, Biology and Maths would be recommended.

Hope this helps :]
    Thank u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatepe)
    none of those options are needed, just do well in your maths, chem and bio and you're ok. Choose what you enjoy/find easy etc
    thanks this really helps it tells me what to do and not do

ReputationRep:
    History has more essay based coursework, but it's seen as a better GCSE.
    Sociology is a science so that'd be helpful, and PE could help you understand the human body more.
    Although GCSE choices shouldn't have a great effect on future applications, it's the grades you get that matter more.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, GCSE options don't matter much. Do subjects in which you most likely to get A*s in. As you want to do pharmacy, which requires subjects you are already doing i.e chemistry, biology, physics maths.

GCSE options don't matter much. I want to do medicine but I chose Geography, History Spanish for my GCSE options

At A Level though you should definitely choose Chemistry, Biology, and preferably Physics.

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/...medchoices.pdf

Scroll to page 44 for pharmacy

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    Seeing as you're only choosing for your GCSEs, it's not too important what subjects you pick as long as you get the best grades you can in them. For pharmacy, it's important you have strong results in the sciences/english/maths but it'd also be good to choose other subjects that show you're a well rounded student!

I'd recommend a humanity (if choosing between geography and history, go for whichever one you enjoy most ) but otherwise don't force yourself into subjects you're not interested in or don't think you'll be good at. Play to your strengths and not much can go wrong - once A Levels come around you'll probably be dropping most of the subjects that aren't specifically tailoured to your course choices anyway!

Good luck in your future exams, I hope everything goes well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    History has more essay based coursework, but it's seen as a better GCSE.
    Sociology is a science so that'd be helpful, and PE could help you understand the human body more.
    Although GCSE choices shouldn't have a great effect on future applications, it's the grades you get that matter more.
    thank u this really helps me bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambersicle)
    Hi!
    Seeing as you're only choosing for your GCSEs, it's not too important what subjects you pick as long as you get the best grades you can in them. For pharmacy, it's important you have strong results in the sciences/english/maths but it'd also be good to choose other subjects that show you're a well rounded student!

I'd recommend a humanity (if choosing between geography and history, go for whichever one you enjoy most ) but otherwise don't force yourself into subjects you're not interested in or don't think you'll be good at. Play to your strengths and not much can go wrong - once A Levels come around you'll probably be dropping most of the subjects that aren't specifically tailoured to your course choices anyway!

Good luck in your future exams, I hope everything goes well!
    thank u very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    To be honest, GCSE options don't matter much. Do subjects in which you most likely to get A*s in. As you want to do pharmacy, which requires subjects you are already doing i.e chemistry, biology, physics maths.

GCSE options don't matter much. I want to do medicine but I chose Geography, History Spanish for my GCSE options

At A Level though you should definitely choose Chemistry, Biology, and preferably Physics.

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/...medchoices.pdf

Scroll to page 44 for pharmacy
    thank u very much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.