Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel IAL, Unit 5: Transition Metals and Organic Nitrogen Chemistry. 22-Jun-2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why rubies and sapphires are of different colour?

ReputationRep:
    How do u replace OH group with Cl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Level9)
    What was mass of Fe(II) and Fe(III)
    i got 0.59 and 1.sth
    Same here, is that fe2+ heavier than fe3+?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12103763d)
    Same here, is that fe2+ heavier than fe3+?
    Nah
    Electrons have negligible mass

ReputationRep:
    absorption of different wavelength of light, reflect different observed colour
    (Original post by tgygt)
    Why rubies and sapphires are of different colour?

ReputationRep:
    Talking about the mass of the ions in the solution.....and Fe2+ is not an electron. lol

(Original post by tgygt)
    Nah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiton)
    absorption of different wavelength of light, reflect different observed colour
    Because they have different attached ligands or that they have different central metal ion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgygt)
    Nah
    I knew, I mean the question asking mass of fe, the mass of fe2+ in 500cm3 is higher than that of fe3+ , am I correct ?

ReputationRep:
    Talking about the mass of the ions in the solution.....and Fe2+ is not an electron. lol
    Well, I mean Fe2+ with one more electron than Fe3+ would not be heavier than Fe3+. Both ions have Ar=55.8

ReputationRep:
    oh no instead of saying structure XYZ i directly wrote (metal ion Cl(H2O)5) 2Cl-
    do u think it'll be okay?

ReputationRep:
    It has nothing to do with the ligand... it is about the metal ion, the passage did mention sapphire has aluminium while for rudby, some aluminium is replaced by Chromium. And the splitting of d-orbital to a different extent.

(Original post by tgygt)
    Because they have different attached ligands or that they have different central metal ion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12103763d)
    I knew, I mean the question asking mass of fe, the mass of fe2+ in 500cm3 is higher than that of fe3+ , am I correct ?
    Yes, that's what I got.
    Mass of Fe2+: 1.xxxg (forgot haha)
    Mass of Fe3+: 0.5xxg

ReputationRep:
    Same here! Is that structure Z ?
    It should be alright cause it is exactly the answer!

(Original post by skeletonboy1)
    oh no instead of saying structure XYZ i directly wrote (metal ion Cl(H2O)5) 2Cl-

ReputationRep:
    Sure
    The question asks about deducing the structure

ReputationRep:
    Same here.. Didn't even notice there was 3 structures XYZ??!

ReputationRep:
    It has nothing to do with the ligand... it is about the metal ion, the passage did mention sapphire has aluminium while for rudby, some aluminium is replaced by Chromium. And the splitting of d-orbital to a different extent.
    Different ligandssplit the d subshell to a different extent and so electrons requiredifferent amount of energy to promote. e.g. Cu(H2O)6]2+ and [Cu(NH3)4]2+

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what you are talking about.

You have to look at the concentration of the remaining solution plus unreacted solution to get the mass =.= we are not talking about molecular mass difference in here and honestly we still use Ar of Fe to calculate for both ions..

(Original post by tgygt)
    Well, I mean Fe2+ with one more electron than Fe3+ would not be heavier than Fe3+. Both ions have Ar=55.8

ReputationRep:
    Talking about sapphire and rugby in here!

Different ligandssplit the d subshell to a different extent and so electrons requiredifferent amount of energy to promote. e.g. Cu(H2O)6]2+ and [Cu(NH3)4]2+

ReputationRep:
    Is the complex structure [CrCl(H20)5]2+?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgygt)
    Is the complex structure [CrCl(H20)5]2+?
    It was the answer I wrote

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.