Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel IAL Maths - Mechanics 1 - WME01 25 Jan 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Big_E)
    Got exactly the same as you Zacken although for the collisions question i got 73/10 to the west for some reason.
    Also for the moments question, because it said the strings will break if the tension exceeds 84N, shouldnt it be 1<x<1.8 or am i wrong? How many marks will i lose in total if these are the only mistakes i made?
    Not many! It says exceeds, exceeds means bigger than. So it's allowed to be 84 but not one iota bigger.

You've done great! I'm not entirely certain of my answers to Q2, so you might be right. You'll lose about 1 mark for the inequality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Fewer questions than usual, so more marks per question, more structure than usual. There wasn't the easy speed-time things with distance between two places, etc... but the paper was fairly standard, no thinking required. There'll be high boundaries.

1. (a) F = 2,200 N
    (b) M = 800.
    (c) Same acceleration for system/trailer as truck.

2. (a) 7u/10 due east
    (b) 6u/5 due east.

3. \displaystyle T = \frac{16g}{5\sqrt{3} + 1}

4. (a) h_max = 10
    (b) \displaystyle t_{\text{total}} = \frac{28}{g} \approx 2.86

5. (a) (i) T_A = 94 - 10x
    (ii) T_B = 66 + 10x
    (b) 1 \leq x \leq 1.8

6. (a) \sqrt{68} = 2\sqrt{17} \approx 8.25
    (b) (5+2t)i + (5t-3)j
    (c) (7-3t)i + (5-15t)j
    (d) t = 2/5 so time 2:24 PM
    (e) 29/5i - j

7 (a) T - g/2 = 2a
    (b) 3g - T = 5a
    (c) (i) a = 15g/14
    (ii) T = 17g/14
    (d) d= 17/14 (by letting g=1 in c(ii)).
    For the 7 b) part i by mistake wrote cos instead of sin and that effected all my next answers how many marks do u think i will loose? any idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sumaiyya1999)
    For the 7 b) part i by mistake wrote cos instead of sin and that effected all my next answers how many marks do u think i will loose? any idea?
    You'll lose 1 mark in part (b) and then from part (c) and (d) totalled together gives you 5 + 7 = 12 marks, I think you'd lose about 5/6 marks from those 12. So you'd lose 1 + 6 = 7 marks on the whole of question 7. I might be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    You'll lose 1 mark in part (b) and then from part (c) and (d) totalled together gives you 5 + 7 = 12 marks, I think you'd lose about 5/6 marks from those 12. So you'd lose 1 + 6 = 7 marks on the whole of question 7. I might be wrong.
    oo okay thanks i hope i get a B grade

ReputationRep:
    Fewer questions than usual, so more marks per question, more structure than usual. There wasn't the easy speed-time things with distance between two places, etc... but the paper was fairly standard, no thinking required. There'll be high boundaries.

1. (a) F = 2,200 N
    (b) M = 800.

2. (a) 7u/10 due east
    (b) 6u/5 due east.

4. (a) h_max = 10

(ii) T_B = 66 + 10x
    (b) 1 \leq x \leq 1.8

(b) (5+2t)i + (5t-3)j
    (c) (7-3t)i + (5-15t)j
    (e) 29/5i - j

7 (a) T - g/2 = 2a
    (b) 3g - T = 5a
    (c) (i) a = 15g/14
    (ii) T = 17g/14
    Gotta say, I messed up the many questions big time. For 7b) I somehow got T - 3g = 5a. So the acceleration was like 2.5g, which was when I started to realise smthing was wrong, but didn't manage to find it. I sat there wasted my last 15mins wondering why.
    Also got the 2nd question wrong too. Somehow I got 73u/10 east instead.
    6c) Somehow got (3t-5)j so that one is gone too.

Rip my first retake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilsonDS)
    Also got the 2nd question wrong too. Somehow I got 73u/10 east instead.
    Sorry to hear that! Do keep in mind that I may have made mistakes myself. Somebody else got 73u/10 due west, so perhaps I'm wrong on that count.

ReputationRep:

1. (a) F = 2,200 N
    (b) M = 800.

2. (a) 7u/10 due east
    (b) 6u/5 due east.

4. (a) h_max = 10

(ii) T_B = 66 + 10x
    (b) 1 \leq x \leq 1.8

(b) (5+2t)i + (5t-3)j
    (c) (7-3t)i + (5-15t)j
    (e) 29/5i - j

7 (a) T - g/2 = 2a
    (b) 3g - T = 5a
    (c) (i) a = 15g/14
    (ii) T = 17g/14
    I got Q3 wrong,but I hope you can point out my mistake and tell me how many marks I am going lose and I am pretty sure the acceleration in the Q7 is 5g/14 not 15g/14.Photo attached to show my working.Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  271.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omar5478)
    I am pretty sure the acceleration in the Q7 is 5g/14 not 15g/14.
    Yes, you're correct. It was a simple typo on my part, I must have accidentally hit the 1 key. I'll correct that now and take a look at your Q3, I may have been the one to do something wrong!

ReputationRep:
    I got Q3 wrong,but I hope you can point out my mistake and tell me how many marks I am going lose.
    Before telling you how many marks you are going to lose, I'm afraid one of us have read the question wrong. I was fairly sure the question had said the mass of the block is 8 kg and not 5 kg. I can only ask the others to confirm:

Spoiler:
    Show
    PlayerBB Sumaiyya1999
    (Original post by WilsonDS)
    What was the mass of the block in Q3?

By the way, Omar - what did you get for Q2?

ReputationRep:
    I believe Q3 (the one with sledge?) mass is 8kg

ReputationRep:
    ****, it is probably my mistake because I am generally super clumsy .Anyways, how many marks am I going to lose in case I used the wrong value ?? As for Q2, I got the same answers as yours and I am fairly certain that 73u/10 to te west is not correct because Q had less momentum initially so it would be impossible for Q to reverse the direction of P.

ReputationRep:
    ****, it is probably my mistake because I am generally super clumsy .Anyways, how many marks am I going to lose in case I used the wrong value ?? As for Q2, I got the same answers as yours and I am fairly certain that 73u/10 to te west is not correct because Q had less momentum initially so it would be impossible for Q to reverse the direction of P.
    Great! I don't think you'd lose many marks. You might lose 1. They have a special case for misreading values in the markscheme, iirc. Plus your method was completely right. So max 1/2 marks lost, hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    I replied to it above.

ReputationRep:
    Great! I don't think you'd lose many marks. You might lose 1. They have a special case for misreading values in the markscheme, iirc. Plus your method was completely right. So max 1/2 marks lost, hopefully.
    Thank god I would have been pissed if I didnt get full UMS in this paper.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god I would have been pissed if I didnt get full UMS in this paper.
    Yups, to confirm, this is what the markscheme says:
    All A marks are ‘correct answer only’ (cao.), unless shown, forexample, as A1 ft to indicate that previous wrong working is to befollowed through. After a misread however, the subsequent A marksaffected are treated as A ft, but manifestly absurd answers shouldnever be awarded A marks.
    There aren't many A1 fts marks normally, but because your mistake is a misread, all the following A1 marks becomes A1 ft's.

ReputationRep:
    I replied to it above.
    Sorry for that,just another proof for how clumsy I am

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for that,just another proof for how clumsy I am
    Don't worry about it, I've done worse. Is Physics Unit 3 your next exam?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, I've done worse. Is Physics Unit 3 your next exam?
    Yes, is there anything to do other than solving past papers ??

ReputationRep:
    Yes, is there anything to do other than solving past papers ??
    Not really, I need to do some today, I've done 0 practice and it's basically just knowing lots of common sense, safety, errors, etc...

ReputationRep:
    Not really, I need to do some today, I've done 0 practice and it's basically just knowing lots of common sense, safety, errors, etc...
    Honestly, I would say that it is a really annoying paper, but maybe thats just because I am pretty bad at practical stuff.Good luck anyways.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.